Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Jobs Boost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I hope they dont regard 10 or 20 jobs as a major job boost, to me a major job boost would be 500 or more, long overdue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Beaver1 wrote: »
    I hope they dont regard 10 or 20 jobs as a major job boost, to me a major job boost would be 500 or more, long overdue

While any new jobs is good news, Limerick really needs a string of announcements like the regular 200, 300, 400 etc ones that pop up for Cork and Galway.

Only today there was another 300 job announcement for Galway involving EA games. That is the type of high profile company that Limerick needs to be attracting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think when they speculate about IDA backed significant jobs announcements, they are usually referring to triple digit numbers. Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Kess73 wrote: »
    While any new jobs is good news, Limerick really needs a string of announcements like the regular 200, 300, 400 etc ones that pop up for Cork and Galway.

Only today there was another 300 job announcement for Galway involving EA games. That is the type of high profile company that Limerick needs to be attracting

Exactly.

Possibly Analogue ? It says in that report the company is already in the area & Analogue are building a new block in Raheen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Analogs jobs decision was already announced

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Analog are knocking down and rebuilding.....don't think any new jobs in the pipeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Heard it might be Cook Medical. They've been recruiting a lot lately too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Chances are it's Vistakon.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/job-boost-expected-as-vistakon-expands-its-limerick-operation-1-4020700
    When the announcement happens, it will be the first major jobs announcement for Limerick from the IDA this summer.

I hope its for the unskilled worker, are Dell coming back, lol, it would be great

I hope its for the unskilled worker, are Dell coming back, lol, it would be great

Yes unskilled is better because take Paypal for example. They are now complaining Ireland cannot supply the language skills they need for their call centre and will have to migrate workers into the country to fill the Dundalk job(jobs we could have gotten) but even if Limerick got the jobs we couldn't fill those positions either. :rolleyes:

Give us another Dell/Creche for Adults.

• Advertisement

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Yes unskilled is better because take Paypal for example. They are now complaining Ireland cannot supply the language skills they need for their call centre and will have to migrate workers into the country to fill the Dundalk job(jobs we could have gotten) but even if Limerick got the jobs we couldn't fill those positions either. :rolleyes:

thats why it needs to be unskilled, you hit the nail on the head. some sort of production line.

They knew that long before they came here. They'll get cheap corporation tax, huge grants per worker and bring in some cheap labour. And they are complaining ? !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭touts

My bet is another expansion plan at an existing company where the IDA are throwing a few million at them to buy new equipment and maybe do up a building so some minister can have a nice photo op but in reality it will be a half promise of less than 100 jobs vaguely spread out over the next 4 or 5 years. Anything bigger than that would go to Dublin or Cork.

touts wrote: »
    Anything bigger than that would go to Dublin or Cork.

Actually anything bigger than that would likely go to Enda Kenny to announce I'd say.

Enda Kenny announced 300 jobs for Galway so I'd say we are getting a paltry sum and the Limerick Leader article is disengenous anyway. 20,000 in the city environs may be out of work but how many are actually trying to get back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Problem with the multilingual jobs is that a lot of them look for native level or near native level spoken and written. I tried for a position in Amazon for Italian and fell short in the written dept. I'd be pretty good at speaking, but not native level....

Actually anything bigger than that would likely go to Enda Kenny to announce I'd say.

Enda Kenny announced 300 jobs for Galway so I'd say we are getting a paltry sum and the Limerick Leader article is disengenous anyway. 20,000 in the city environs may be out of work but how many are actually trying to get back to work.

I would say the vast majority. Sure Limerick has always had a few high profile areas where unemployment remained high even as companies like Dell were desperately seeking workers but they make up a small portion of the current total unemployed. The majority of the 20,000 are unemployed in Limerick due to gross neglect of the area by the IDA and the gross incompetence of local public representatives.

US financial company is to establish 300 new jobs.
    Already based here.

Hmmm! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Its 300 jobs at a US financial service company. Rte.ie, announcement after 11.

Probably Northern Trust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

It is Northern Trust (see Limerick Leader website). My guess is that very few of the jobs there will be for unskilled workers, so its unlikely that production operators from Dell will be getting jobs in Northern Trrust, but I may be wrong, its just my guess...

Well it's certainly good news and all jobs are welcome.

I don't give the government or IDA much credit though. When new companies are brought in that's when I'll say they've done well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is great news for the region and they are skilled jobs as Northern Trust are a Financial Services company.

The days of unskilled jobs in this country are almost at an end, labour rates and operational costs are too high in comparision to developing countries. The unskilled labour force needs to move on from days gone by and adapt/upskill rather than waiting for the next ship to arrive which is very unlikely.

there isn't much now to be too joyful about, 400 jobs over 5 years, 80 a year, Jesus wept, how can you call that a job boost,

its a start 400 new jobs in finance drip fed over 5 years average wage 30k is an extra 12m spending power in the area meaning more money to spend on goods and services and create more jobs in the retail and service industry. You have to look at the bigger picture and the message a large multinational like this gives out by expanding in Limerick

kilburn wrote: »
    its a start 400 new jobs in finance drip fed over 5 years average wage 30k is an extra 12m spending power in the area meaning more money to spend on goods and services and create more jobs in the retail and service industry. You have to look at the bigger picture and the message a large multinational like this gives out by expanding in Limerick

+1

You can also take into consideration more catering staff, more cleaners, more security, etc.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »

I think we would all liked to have seen more for Limerick and more often, but you are spot on in that it is a start, and any new jobs at all is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

there isn't much now to be too joyful about, 400 jobs over 5 years, 80 a year, Jesus wept, how can you call that a job boost,

Not sure if I agree or disagree with you, some of these companies make announcements with much fanfare and never fill the jobs, or else close shortly after, or others like eBay and PayPal get bigger and bigger.

Only time will tell I suppose!

A start yes. I fear given the IDA track record of neglect in Limerick it may also be a finish. Box ticked. Michael happy. Back inside the M50 quick as we can now before we catch something from the natives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Delighted that it is a high calibre employer like Northern Trust. I work in that industry. Fund administration companies are high salary payers and the spin offs of those jobs is that those new workers will buy properties, spend their money on social/leisure/clothing/retail so other businesses of Limerick will also benefit.

I'm a bit disappointed at the cynicism on this thread. 400 jobs being too little? Come on!! The equivalent would be 4000 announced for Dublin if you compare population(no-one would scoff or belittle that in Dublin) Also, it's like some posters were hoping for unskilled jobs. Why? Wouldn't it be in the best interests of those people to upskill and retrain so that they have a better chance of securing a wider choice of employment? Secondly, unskilled assemply line manufacturers won't move here when they can get labour at a fraction of the cost in other less costly countries. Those that do move here invariable pull out after a few years as the costs are unsustainable so job security would never be certain.

It is a good jobs day for Limerick!

Advertisement