Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Jobs Boost

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

ongarboy wrote: »
    Delighted that it is a high calibre employer like Northern Trust. I work in that industry. Fund administration companies are high salary payers and the spin offs of those jobs is that those new workers will buy properties, spend their money on social/leisure/clothing/retail so other businesses of Limerick will also benefit.

I'm a bit disappointed at the cynicism on this thread. 400 jobs being too little? Come on!! The equivalent would be 4000 announced for Dublin if you compare population(no-one would scoff or belittle that in Dublin) Also, it's like some posters were hoping for unskilled jobs. Why? Wouldn't it be in the best interests of those people to upskill and retrain so that they have a better chance of securing a wider choice of employment? Secondly, unskilled assemply line manufacturers won't move here when they can get labour at a fraction of the cost in other less costly countries. Those that do move here invariable pull out after a few years as the costs are unsustainable so job security would never be certain.

It is a good jobs day for Limerick!

It is 400 potential jobs over 5 years though not a guaranteed 400 jobs. Big difference going by the track record in Limerick for such announcements. The cynicism is there because there have been quite a lot of big announcements for Limerick over the past five years of one huge job boost or another and for the most part they have remained as headlines without substance.

You made the comparsion with Dublin and how 400 jobs in Limerick would be like a much larger figure there, but I would instead use Galway and Cork as a yard stick. They have received, on a regular basis, each year for the past number of years announcements of 200, 300, 400 etc jobs and those jobs have actually been created.

So yes a job announcement for Limerick is good news and it becomes great news if the full 400 jobs are created, but 400 jobs over 5 years would be 80 jobs a year and that is nowhere close to the rate that jobs are still being lost in Limerick.

I would also disagree with your comment about unskilled jobs. There are over 20,000 people unemployed in Limerick city and county. That is a huge number for a county that has such a small city. There is plenty of scope with that kind of figure for unskilled jobs as well as skilled ones imho. And even if there was some way to get 20,000 people to upskill, there is still going to be 20,000 out of work if there is not a massive influx of jobs.

Skilled and unskilled jobs are needed for Limerick and in large numbers. Hopefully the Northern Trust announcement turns out to hold true to the potential amount of jobs it says it might create, and hopefully it causes a knock on effect of creating unskilled roles such as cleaners etc and is just the start of a number of other companies either expanding or coming in fresh to Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Kess73 wrote: »
    It is 400 potential jobs over 5 years though not a guaranteed 400 jobs. Big difference going by the track record in Limerick for such announcements. The cynicism is there because there have been quite a lot of big announcements for Limerick over the past five years of one huge job boost or another and for the most part they have remained as headlines without substance.

You made the comparsion with Dublin and how 400 jobs in Limerick would be like a much larger figure there, but I would instead use Galway and Cork as a yard stick. They have received, on a regular basis, each year for the past number of years announcements of 200, 300, 400 etc jobs and those jobs have actually been created.

So yes a job announcement for Limerick is good news and it becomes great news if the full 400 jobs are created, but 400 jobs over 5 years would be 80 jobs a year and that is nowhere close to the rate that jobs are still being lost in Limerick.

I would also disagree with your comment about unskilled jobs. There are over 20,000 people unemployed in Limerick city and county. That is a huge number for a county that has such a small city. There is plenty of scope with that kind of figure for unskilled jobs as well as skilled ones imho. And even if there was some way to get 20,000 people to upskill, there is still going to be 20,000 out of work if there is not a massive influx of jobs.

Skilled and unskilled jobs are needed for Limerick and in large numbers. Hopefully the Northern Trust announcement turns out to hold true to the potential amount of jobs it says it might create, and hopefully it causes a knock on effect of creating unskilled roles such as cleaners etc and is just the start of a number of other companies either expanding or coming in fresh to Limerick.

That's very true. Also, this company is already located in the region. How about getting new companies in ? We saw when Dell downsized the devastation it caused, so rather than have a few big ones, i'd like many smaller ones.

But no doubt a good day, probably the biggest jobs announcement in Limerick for 15 years ?

liammur wrote: »
    That's very true. Also, this company is already located in the region. How about getting new companies in ? We saw when Dell downsized the devastation it caused, so rather than have a few big ones, i'd like many smaller ones.

But no doubt a good day, probably the biggest jobs announcement in Limerick for 15 years ?

It is scary in employment terms when it is looked at that way. The fourth (technically it is at present) biggest city in the country which comes with a well populated surrounding area and it may be the only job announcement of that scale (albeit a potential number set over five years) in a decade and a half.

Really does show how badly Limerick has been let down by some quarters, and how unattractive it may also seem to be to some companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

It is 400 potential jobs over 5 years though not a guaranteed 400 jobs.
    Any of the releases I've read today have said there will be 400 jobs created - not a potential to create 400 jobs
    Big difference going by the track record in Limerick for such announcements. The cynicism is there because there have been quite a lot of big announcements for Limerick over the past five years of one huge job boost or another and for the most part they have remained as headlines without substance.

I cannot remember a single announcement 'of one huge job boost or another' in Limerick in the last five years ... not to mind any that became 'headlines without substance' ... although I'd be happy to be corrected on this.

This is a good news day for Limerick, one of very few in the last few years ....in my eyes the cynicism of a lot of posters on here is a bit baffling

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Any of the releases I've read today have said there will be 400 jobs created - not a potential to create 400 jobs

I cannot remember a single announcement 'of one huge job boost or another' in Limerick in the last five years ... not to mind any that became 'headlines without substance' ... although I'd be happy to be corrected on this.

This is a good news day for Limerick, one of very few in the last few years ....in my eyes the cynicism of a lot of posters on here is a bit baffling

Speaking for myself, I am a little cynical thanks tp repeated headlines about projects like the Opera centre that "are on the verge" of starting and creating hundreds of jobs.

There was another on the creation of hundreds of jobs for the riverside project just off of the Condell road.

The project involving the old Dunnes stores building and the surrounding area that was on the verge of starting.

The headlines that came from quotes from the then mayor Jim Long about a large company that they hoped were about to set up in Limerick (Paypal)

The Limerick Leader and local radio has been full of this type of "announcement" in recent years and as a result I tend to be a bit cynical of any announcement for Limerick until it actually happens.

As for the 400 jobs announced today. I really do hope it happens and that the full 400 jobs do get created as well as any extra jobs that would be created on the back of them, but the word "hoped" in the announcement put me on edge with regards to the full amount along with the statement that they expect to fill 50 positions this year, not that they will fill 50 positions this year.

I might well be overly cynical on this though, and I would love to be proven badly wrong for being so as it would mean that hundreds of extra jobs were in existence, and that there was some extra spending power in the area as a result.

Where I got my comment of up to 400 jobs over five years was from the tv interview today that had Richard Bruoton and Clive Bellows speaking. Below is an link to an article that also mentions that it is up to 400 jobs over 5 years rather than a definite 400 jobs..

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/400-northern-trust-jobs-limerick-100100267.html

Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation Richard Bruton TD and Clive Bellows, Country Head Ireland at Northern Trust (NTRS) today announced that the company is to expand its Limerick operation by creating up to 400 new jobs over the next five years. The expansion is supported by the Irish Government through IDA Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

Anyone know if positions are being filled right away or when its likely to start? Couldn't find any contact details for their recruitment in Limerick for these new slots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

mitresize5 wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, any new jobs is good news, however I am also a realist. I remember president Bill Clinton visiting the gateway factory in Dublin, one would thing the place had a huge future, yet it closed shortly after.

There is no guarantee 400 jobs will be created it may happen and I hope it does, but the company could go the way of gateway.

Anyone know if positions are being filled right away or when its likely to start? Couldn't find any contact details for their recruitment in Limerick for these new slots.

There are six vacancies listed for Limerick on the company's website, and they have said that they hope to fill 50 positions by the end of this year so those new vacancies should start showing up on their site between now and then.

Here are their current listed vacancies for Limerick.

http://www.northerntrustcareers.com/quicksearch?qsMetroArea=71&qsJobRole=all

Best of luck in advance should you decide to apply for one of the listed vacancies or for one of the new ones when they get advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

There are six vacancies listed for Limerick on the company's website, and they have said that they hope to fill 50 positions by the end of this year so those new vacancies should start showing up on their site between now and then.

Here are their current listed vacancies for Limerick.

http://www.northerntrustcareers.com/quicksearch?qsMetroArea=71&qsJobRole=all

Best of luck in advance should you decide to apply for one of the listed vacancies or for one of the new ones when they get advertised.

Thanks for your help. :)

I'm interested in their IT roles, didn't see anything in that area from them so they're probably not being advertised yet. I'll keep checking back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Limerick is NT's largest location outside of the US. I've made the point here before that the company has moved people out of Dublin to come to Limerick, and then locals who have done nothing to actually champion the area bitch and moan that 400 jobs isn't enough.

Did ye do the same in the early 90s when Dell opened up and made expansion announcements? "Not enough Dell" - In fact it was too much, as there was too much dependence on one employer.

Quit yer whinging, it's 400 jobs that the company is to work with the local third level institutions (with which it already has fantastic relationships) to fill with it's local graduates.

Christ - what do ye want? A money tree factory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

ninty9er wrote: »
    Limerick is NT's largest location outside of the US. I've made the point here before that the company has moved people out of Dublin to come to Limerick, and then locals who have done nothing to actually champion the area bitch and moan that 400 jobs isn't enough.

Did ye do the same in the early 90s when Dell opened up and made expansion announcements? "Not enough Dell" - In fact it was too much, as there was too much dependence on one employer.

Quit yer whinging, it's 400 jobs that the company is to work with the local third level institutions (with which it already has fantastic relationships) to fill with it's local graduates.

nah, that particular tree is out in castletroy, it name is ul, us plebs have not a hope of getting in there, we need a many of the local small industarys to get a bank loan so as they can hire two or three people so as they can expand, also have you not learned in primary school not to take the lords name in vain, it causes offence to some, not many but some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

ninty9er wrote: »

Complete nonsense. Most posters on boards.ie speak very highly of Limerick and always assist people from different areas when they want info on Limerick. That in itself is championing the area. Well done to all contributors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

On the news last night, they said that they will be taking the new staff from UL and LIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

LB6 wrote: »
    On the news last night, they said that they will be taking the new staff from UL and LIT

Really? I thought they just mentioned that 200 out of the 300 current staff are graduates from UL or LIT.

Advertisement