Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trade rocongition

Options
  • 18-09-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hi iam looking to get my trade recognized(sparky) i did my tra already but got refused as wasn't filled in the way they wanted so wondering is there any agency's in Dublin or Perth that i can do it through so it is filled out the way they want it or has anyone got a example paper filled in that could post it up here thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

How or what did you do wrong with the application, no point in paying someone to do it for you, I done it for Carpenter and Joiner and had no problems thought it was pretty straight forward TBH, allthough this was nearly 2 years ago now so it might have changed significantly since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Some people have a mental block when it comes to filling in forms & is nothing to be ashamed of. If you are in Ireland my suggestion would be to go into either a FÁS or Social Welfare office with all your documentation (including whatever refusal letter you received relating to your original application) & ask to speak to a jobs facilitator.

Explain the situation & say that you would be grateful if they could assist you in filling up the application form & to check that you will be including whatever documents or certified copies of documents that are requested on the application form. They would in effect be assisting you to gain employment, which is what they are there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

My TRA application was refused in 2009 because I didn't have 5 years consecutive experience in my current role at the time (I was only 9 months short of 5 yrs). This requirement was news to me and the migration lawyer I was using at the time told me it was the end of the line as a result. The migration lawyer did give me a full refund though.

Did any of you guys who have been through the TRA have 5 yrs experience? I thought the criteria was for 12 months experience within the last 24 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I got my electrical licence in 2008 so I'm not sure how much the TRA system has changed. I've never heard of the 5 year experience requirement before. I left Ireland a week after finishing my apprenticeship and didn't work so much as one day as a qualified electrician in Ireland but had no problems getting through TRA and obtaining an A grade licence here.
    My advice would be to contact a guy called Jason Greene from skills shortage solutions. He posts here under the name OZexpert. There is probably no one else that knows the electrical licencing in Australia better than him( I would probably include the people who work in the electrical licencing department in this category as most of them haven't a clue).

Best of luck with it and don't lose faith. It will be worth it in the long run especially if you intend to stay or have any desire to work in the mining industry and make some good money.

kkelly77 wrote: »
    My TRA application was refused in 2009 because I didn't have 5 years consecutive experience in my current role at the time (I was only 9 months short of 5 yrs). This requirement was news to me and the migration lawyer I was using at the time told me it was the end of the line as a result. The migration lawyer did give me a full refund though.

Did any of you guys who have been through the TRA have 5 yrs experience? I thought the criteria was for 12 months experience within the last 24 months?

I done mine a little under 2 years ago and as far as I remember it was 12mths out of the last 24mths think there was another requirement to have had so many mths done in the last 3 or 5 yrs aswell, but not for 5 consecutive yrs.

• Advertisement

TBH I never fully understood why that criteria was applied to me.

I don't have a trade like some of you guys but, at the time, I had a higher cert from college. This was a level 6 on the FETAC scale which IIRC is the same FETAC level as someone who completes an apprenticeship.

I did contact the TRA via email a couple of times for confirmation but never got a reply.

It may be the case that when you do not have a trade proper, you may be better off going down the vetassess route where they will evaluate your skills through a practical examination and will then make a decision based on your knowledge and skills of the trade that you are applying for.

sponge_bob wrote: »
    It may be the case that when you do not have a trade proper, you may be better off going down the vetassess route where they will evaluate your skills through a practical examination and will then make a decision based on your knowledge and skills of the trade that you are applying for.

I didn't realise that was option. I thought which ever assessing authority was associated with your relevant occupation on the SOL was the one you had to apply to.

Iam not to sure tbh, Just thought that by going through vetassess you would get a chance to prove yourself in a physical manner, as i know for other trades you dont actually have to have qualified just prove that you have the required experience in your field and be able to show that you know what you are doing by way of a physical exam.
    maybe some one else might have more info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mozil

was about to out up a simular thread, dont want to do any hijacking here but in a simular situation as colt here.
    been reading through all the threads here on trying to get recognised as a sparks over there and from what i gather there dosn't seem to be any definative answer on the whole process.
    I myself would be going on a 1year WHV and so was woundering is it worth my while getting certed if it would just be for a year or would i just be aswell to work asa trade assistant and if so what does the salery compare like to that of a fully certed sparks?

Im sure that there must be someone on here that has completed the process recently and I, as im sure colt and possibly others would appreciate any insight into this process. You can read all you want online about this process but I dont think you can beat a bit of first hand information when it comes to a big move like this.

thanks in advance
    mozil

• Advertisement
Advertisement