Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke Alarm - fitting to mains

Options
  • 18-09-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm replacing my smoke alarms which are currently mains powered with battery back up.

I've read dual sensors ones are the best to go for, my question is whether the way alarms are fitted are pretty standard. The current alarm (Garvan 1238S) has a three pin adaptor, is that standard for alarms or will I need an electrician to replace the fitting? Here's a pic of current alarm fitting

Finally, whilst I have you ;), is there any recommended brand to go for? Was thinking of the Dicon 670MBX (link to Amazon) ...

Or this one actually.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

probably the most commonly used smokes/heat detectors are EI or kidde.
    both are good quallity and reasonably priced.
    to the best of my knowledge two of the pins are live neutral and the third is the link between the smoke heads, so if one goes off they all sound.
    the earth core in the cable is geneally used as the link and the live been brown and the neutral blue.
    if changing one smoke detector, ye might be aswell to change them all cause if they are linked the differant brands might not allways be compatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

EI are good,a lot of the wholesalers have them
    id get your electrician out first for a look, before buying

probably the most commonly used smokes/heat detectors are EI or kidde.
    both are good quallity and reasonably priced.
    to the best of my knowledge two of the pins are live neutral and the third is the link between the smoke heads, so if one goes off they all sound.
    the earth core in the cable is geneally used as the link and the live been brown and the neutral blue.
    if changing one smoke detector, ye might be aswell to change them all cause if they are linked the differant brands might not allways be compatable.

only cowboys use t+e earth as interconnect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »

Yea I wouldnt use that method anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Are you buying it from America? 110v 60Hz??

I've never seen someone using the earth on a T&E as the link cable that's some seriously cowboy stuff right there.

If it's a new house you'll more than likely have a T&E br,bl& earth(bare core probably cut off) and a single br pvc,pvc if there's more than one smoke alarm in the house there's probably a heat detector in the kitchen it'll be different too the smoke detector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

M cebee wrote: »

yep but a lot of them are like that, wired off ceiling roses is another doosie.
    wasnt condoning it, just pointing out it might be done like that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Wow, thanks for all the posts. Good point about buying from the US! I was just going to get them from Amazon and might not be compatible with voltage here (I guess). The current ****e Garvan's have three pins connected in to the alarm.

Kidde seem good then, good to know what brand to go for. What sort of power settings should I get if I get, say, the Kidde alarm.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Wow, thanks for all the posts. Good point about buying from the US! I was just going to get them from Amazon and might not be compatible with voltage here (I guess). The current ****e Garvan's have three pins connected in to the alarm.

Kidde seem good then, good to know what brand to go for. What sort of power settings should I get if I get, say, the Kidde alarm.

Power settings?? Our supply is 230-240v 50Hz

If there is one in your kitchen you'll need a rate of rise heat detector a smoke will work but it'll go off every time you burn toast dinner etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

One more question! I can only find 120v US models online (Amazon, ebay etc), does anyone know where I can these in Ireland or online in the UK?

Edit: Looking for the Kiddie PI2010

One more question! I can only find 120v US models online (Amazon, ebay etc), does anyone know where I can these in Ireland or online in the UK?

Edit: Looking for the Kiddie PI2010

the electrical wholesalers here
    get the electrician to look at the alarm system before buying

• Advertisement
Advertisement