Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLASTERING ADVICE NEEDED

• 18-09-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

quick one for ye, any info much appreciated. recently put up a vertical / sloping combi roof window with intermediate rafter supports. the window is white pvc and hence the rafters which came as part of the window make up are also pvc. the joints in these rafters look very cheap. I am thinking of screwing either plasterboard or ply to these rafters and box them out. can skim be applied directly to ply? I have about 10-12mm to play with between rafter and edge of window. A plastered finish between the windows would make the windows look a far better job

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

No. You can't skim plywood.

If the PVC joints in the window look cheap and nasty chances are the rest of the unit is poor quality also.

Do you have prior experience with skim plastering? It's not easy. Unless u have lots of practice the results can look absolutely cruel .

A few pics would do a lot to make the situation clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Id say you would have enough room on the frame to screw on a 3/8" slab onto your rafters and then skim it .
    There wouldnt be alot of frame left showing though.
    If you are going to try it yourself an easy way to keep the line of your reveal straight would be to stick a skim stop bead down along the frame ,keeping the margin the same all the way down the window, then put the corner beads on the corners of the reveals .
    When they are set you can give it two coats of skim working between the beads all the time, so you wont have to worry about keeping things straight just fill all the holes and keep it smooth .
    Good luck its not the easiest of diy jobs .

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jimmytom

No. You can't skim plywood.

If the PVC joints in the window look cheap and nasty chances are the rest of the unit is poor quality also.

Do you have prior experience with skim plastering? It's not easy. Unless u have lots of practice the results can look absolutely cruel .

A few pics would do a lot to make the situation clearer.

its the most recognised brand out there, just don't like the joint between the slope and vertical of the rafter, clunky circular type detail, i'll post a pic when i get chance. to be honest it looks very commercial. the pine adjustable rafters have a straight joint finish and it doesnt look at all clunky. think i'll try what moy has said below, i've a plasterer lined up as its a new build

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jimmytom

jimmytom wrote: »
    its the most recognised brand out there, just don't like the joint between the slope and vertical of the rafter, clunky circular type detail, i'll post a pic when i get chance. to be honest it looks very commercial. the pine adjustable rafters have a straight joint finish and it doesnt look at all clunky. think i'll try what moy has said below, i've a plasterer lined up as its a new build

typical detail attached

Advertisement