Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150Mb Broadband: Let's get honest for a minute- would I need it?

Options
  • 18-09-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭

I am a UPC customer with 25Mb at the moment, with fairly good download and close-to-perfect upload speeds. I use the Usenet for downloading Linux distributions and other content (where it maxes out my connection really), backup my computer to the cloud (incrementally) and I am generally a heavy downloader (applications, demos, etc.). All downloads are either via the Usenet, direct from the host (eg. Download.com, etc.) or via Torrent. I also occasionally use a VPN for privacy when using Email and so on. I don't game online, use games consoles or the like.

As you may have seen, UPC have rolled out seriously fast speeds, in particular the 100Mb and 150Mb tiers. I am fairly technically minded and use the Internet to its most- including using my tablet and phone- and I use Netflix and the like also. I am not sure, should I stop, get some sense and stick with the 25Mb (move it up to 50), splash out and move to 100Mb or really treat myself and hit up 150Mb. I'm now starting to make excuses like 'cutting back' on the phone to justify the broadband increase.

Maybe others are in a similar position, or were in the past and could offer me advice. In short, is 100Mb realistically enough for what I need, and is 150Mb overkill, really?

Maybe someone can help. Without divulging information, I would have a very, very reasonable deal upon upgrading, but I am questioning if it is worth it based on my circumstances.

Thanks,
    SN.

Mods: If possible, can you not move this to the UPC forum. I understand that it involves them, but I want to see answers without the 'sales pitch' if you get me. This isn't a support issue, but a query to the public. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

In the UK, you can get 200 mb fibre, here you'll pay for that facility. Your lucky to be able to get upc.

To answer your question, if it costs more I wouldn't bother. If its for a business then I would recommend upgrading purely for efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Mr. Grumpy, thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.
    I don't understand, however, what you mean by saying "In the UK, you can get... here you pay for that facility...:.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Mr. Grumpy, thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.
    I don't understand, however, what you mean by saying "In the UK, you can get... here you pay for that facility...:.

In the uk you can get 200mb fibre on virgin media. Here in Ireland, to get 100mb wirelessly you will pay far more (a few hundred) a month) if I remember rightly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I have 100mb from upc, probably dont need it but on the occasion I too am downloading 'linux distros' from usenet, it's nice to have them come in as quickly as possible rather than "ok, i'll wait half an hour.. and then I can install this linux distro"

tbh i rarely use the max speed of the connection but it is nice to have it and iirc the price difference between them all wasn't that much when calculated week by week

if you're patient, you probably dont need it. if you want something asap and you can afford the extra, why not imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Its nice to be able to download a "Linux Distro" from usenet and have it complete and ready to install before you have finished microwaving the popcorn.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i went from 25mb to 50mb and didn't really see a difference that merited the cost,then i went to 100mb and it's amazing.I would go faster when i get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thanks for all your replies.

The only thing is, I'm worried about hitting the cap. If it could do it on my 30Mb, I could easily on the higher tiers?

UPC are the best broadband provider in the country, but the AUP needs to be looked at. Magnet don't have one at all, as far as I know. As the speeds get higher and whatnot, so do the caps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I have 8mb with eircom(cant get UPC) and generally just leave torrents and files download overnight on a laptop or just download if i need it there and then. If I need a film or whatever it usually done in 20 mins. Of course I would love a 150mb connection with UPC but dont think I would actually need it and wouldnt bother pay the extra money tbh to get faster broadband. 25mbs is plenty fast!Not going to make youtube or browsing faster or anthin and might have to wait an extra 10 mins for a file? really worth the extra money for 150mb?:pac:

Advertisement