Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for PGE course 2013/2014

Options
  • 18-09-2012 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

I was hoping to do a hdip (pgde) whatver its called these days in 2013/2014. I finished my masters in july there and i cant find a job so im on job seekers. Planning on applying to pac in December this year so i can start next september. Will i get a grant if im on job seekers? Ive gotten a grant for my degree and my circumstances havent changed. I just wont be able to afford it without a grant.

Anyone any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Is it a postgrad course? Might be some info here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/postgraduate_student_grant.html

I know when I started my masters in 2009 I got a grant that covered a chunk of my fees and I was straight out of college, had never been on jobseekers. There was talk last year of postgrad maintenance grants being done away with in the budget but I'm not sure if it happened or not. This is just anecdotal but some guys I work with had gone back to college after being on jobseekers for over a year and they got a back to education allowance or something, I don't know what circumstances you need to be in to get that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you're referring to council grants, it applies only if there's progression. The new PDE is level 8 while a masters is level 9, so you wouldn't get it.

However, if you didn't already claim a grant for the masters, you might.

The alternative is back to education allowance. They've reduced the months you need to be unemployed; I think it used to be 18 but I could be mistaken.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

You can't get both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The PDE is becoming a two year course from September 2014. Fees will most likely be doubled I'd advise doing it before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hellsbells83

Hi

I was looking for a thread with people who have been offered PDGE starting Sept 2013,im not sure if there is one. I have just got my offer and I am over the moon... but scared!

I now need to sort out teaching practise, Im just not sure what the best way to organise it is. Should I call to schools with my CV or not. I dont want to call to schools when Principals are busy and annoying them. Also I assume there will be interviews for the placement.. anyone any experience with that? what should I know, and what should I really know!

I only have one subject, I can register as a Biology and Ag science teacher but I will have to do two subject pedagogies. Science and another. Does anyone know what were suppose to do here. I have emailed the college but I would be interested to know if there is a recomendation. CSPE religion or do Maths even though I cant register as a maths teacher!

If anyone has any info, guidance I would be most grateful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭airneal

Hi

I was looking for a thread with people who have been offered PDGE starting Sept 2013,im not sure if there is one. I have just got my offer and I am over the moon... but scared!

I now need to sort out teaching practise, Im just not sure what the best way to organise it is. Should I call to schools with my CV or not. I dont want to call to schools when Principals are busy and annoying them. Also I assume there will be interviews for the placement.. anyone any experience with that? what should I know, and what should I really know!

I only have one subject, I can register as a Biology and Ag science teacher but I will have to do two subject pedagogies. Science and another. Does anyone know what were suppose to do here. I have emailed the college but I would be interested to know if there is a recomendation. CSPE religion or do Maths even though I cant register as a maths teacher!

If anyone has any info, guidance I would be most grateful :)

Where are you doing the PDE? I have same subjects as you regarding teaching. I'm doing the PDE in Galway. Biology will be recognised as a first subject methodology. The second methodology is made up of two sub units like, choosing two from Transition year, LC Applied, Careers, CPSE, School planning. So Basically, you choose 2 sub units/subjects as a second methodology. Don't worry because when your finished the PDE, you can teach Ag Science, Biology and Science.

• Advertisement

Im doing it in UCC so its a bit different. Ive to do two subjects my main one; science and then a second one. I think ill do CSPE. Did you get your TP sorted, UCC do it all year in the mornings and college in the evenings .. Its going to be a tough year!

Im doing it in UCC so its a bit different. Ive to do two subjects my main one; science and then a second one. I think ill do CSPE. Did you get your TP sorted, UCC do it all year in the mornings and college in the evenings .. Its going to be a tough year!

Rang my old school, principal said I should be ok, but has to go through the school board process. Will know in two weeks. I wouldn't advise CSPE as I read somewhere that this subject may be scraped or usually other teachers just end up teaching this. The new junior cert is going to be revamped and this subject may not run in some schools from what I've read and hear. So as 1 of our great Minister says "Good luck with that" ;)

But if your interested, go for it. I'm just letting you know whats being said at the mo.

Oh im not doing CSPE with the hopes of teaching it in future. Because all my subjects ; biology agri science and science. Are all under the pedagogy science I need a second pedagogy ... Just to complete the course! I was thinking maths but with project maths I was advised not a good idea .. For TP any way.

Oh im not doing CSPE with the hopes of teaching it in future. Because all my subjects ; biology agri science and science. Are all under the pedagogy science I need a second pedagogy ... Just to complete the course! I was thinking maths but with project maths I was advised not a good idea .. For TP any way.

Yep, unless your really into maths, im not. Can you not pick options similar to Galway, as I said previously. Thats a trickier course that you are doing, will you be assessed in the 2nd ped for teaching practice?

UCC is a bit different the NUIG. The teaching practice is done in the morning time and then college in the evening for the full year as appose to block release. I have looked for clarification on the details in the PDE guidelines regarding the teaching subjects but as it reads .. I have to teach in both of the pedagogy’s, most of the classes in my main subject (min 3) and the rest in my second CSPE. As it works out 1st years only have 3 hours of science in a week. Second years have 4 hours, as I will be the teacher for the year I will have to take the 2nd years with 2 CSPE classes or 1st years with 3 CSPE classes. As I said I’m waiting on clarification but that’s how I read it.
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/education/pgdeteaching/WebTPInformationforIncomingPDEStudentsMarch2013.pdf

• Advertisement

UCC is a bit different the NUIG. The teaching practice is done in the morning time and then college in the evening for the full year as appose to block release. I have looked for clarification on the details in the PDE guidelines regarding the teaching subjects but as it reads .. I have to teach in both of the pedagogy’s, most of the classes in my main subject (min 3) and the rest in my second CSPE. As it works out 1st years only have 3 hours of science in a week. Second years have 4 hours, as I will be the teacher for the year I will have to take the 2nd years with 2 CSPE classes or 1st years with 3 CSPE classes. As I said I’m waiting on clarification but that’s how I read it.
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/education/pgdeteaching/WebTPInformationforIncomingPDEStudentsMarch2013.pdf

I would get the impression that Agr Science or Biology may your first subject and science your second. Did you clarify this with UCC. Maybe I'm wrong.

Advertisement