Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to combat Wireless Contention?

Options
  • 18-09-2012 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi all i’m using a Globersurfer III router which was fine until my next door copied me and got one as well. As I am studying online the contention is killing my studies. Can anyone recommend a router that would give me a more stable signal? I’m not looking for a speed increase just a more stable signal.

Thanks PmC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They need to be on different channels or they will interfere. Set one to channel 1, the other to 11. If you got a smartphone you can get a wifi analyser app to scan to see what channels are in use nearby or else install insidder on your laptop. Channels overlap on the adjacent 2 channels each side

2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_802.11bg_WLAN1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PatrickMc

Yea dude tried that, dam network will only transmit on Channel 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

PatrickMc wrote: »
    Yea dude tried that, dam thing will only work on Channel 6.

Have you taken it off auto?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

there pricey routers!!!, Your using 3g I see. Can you not leave the stick in the laptop or buy a cheaper modem? Unfortunatly if you cannot change the channel and both routers are using the same one theres nothing you can do except line the walls with tin foil. Doesnt matter if router is 200 euro or 30 euro, they all do the same job and wont increase speed or anthin.

This is much better than the globtrotter one and is only 32 pounds instead of 180 pound for globetrotter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-MR3420-300MBPS-Wireless-Router/dp/B003WK62OS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PatrickMc

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Have you taken it off auto?

Yea that was the first thing I did.

@areyawell that router is on my short list all right. Are you using one? How do you find it ok?

Now I have managed not easily mind you to change the Channel to CH1 but the router will not broadcast wirelessly. I can only connect (Internet) via hard wiring to the router at the moment. No 3G on CH11.

Their is a much more stable signal on C1 if I could just get the dam router to broadcast the 11g signal...........

Still at it. It's broadcasting WifI now but won't connect.........

Ok I gave up it seems to me that my ip only broadcasts over channel 6 even though they tell me that it should broadcast on channel 1. When I change to CH1 and hardwire to the router, the router it's self re-routes through CH6 even though i'm not on auto. So time to change....

Any one know what providers will broadcast on channel 1 or 11?

• Advertisement
Advertisement