Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bhs exams

Options
  • 18-09-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,I'm I'n the Galway area and interested I'n completing the bhs exams, i am working part time. Just wondering with stage one would you need to put a lot of work I'n. I used to have a pony cross country is more my area than showjumping. Would working 3 days I'n an equesterian centre I'n return for some riding, working all daily duties I'n the yard sound like a good deal. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aport

Does this sound good for practice, and getting prepared on a yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

Hi, doing your exams is a great way of getting sound knowledge from a reliable source (the BHS). Firstly join BHS (if you're not already a member), get the exam package of books and the DVD. Read through the books and then you'll have a grip on where you need to focus your study. I would recommend getting the stage two books as well (you know the old practice of taking a test one stage lower than you ride in dressage :)). If you find you need extra help, go to the BHS Ireland website and find a qualified instuctor (not someone who tells you they've got experence rather than qualifications;)). On the practical side, when you're asked to demonstrate picking out hooves, mucking out and tacking up there's nothing like hands on experience, but when you're asked to explain the principles of feeding, you need to have studied the books! The riding side is fairly simple but a lesson or two never does anyone any harm! Oh and good luck, next stop BHSAI ?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

Sorry to piggy back on your thread, hope you don't mind!
    I just saw Hellibelly mention the BHS books for exam prep and wanted to ask a question.
    I'm hoping to do my stage 1 soon too. Fairly confident about the riding part, I have regular lessons and lease a lovely horse a couple of days a week. The management side I'm a bit nervous about as I know how to groom, rug up etc but know that I need to do it the 'BHS way' in exams.
    I've dug out my old pony club manual of horsemanship and have the stage 1 dvd and workbook.
    Would you think this would be sufficient or are there other books you'd recommend?

Thanks a million!
    Mar.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

Aport wrote: »
    Hi,I'm I'n the Galway area and interested I'n completing the bhs exams, i am working part time. Just wondering with stage one would you need to put a lot of work I'n. I used to have a pony cross country is more my area than showjumping. Would working 3 days I'n an equesterian centre I'n return for some riding, working all daily duties I'n the yard sound like a good deal. Thanks

Monard equestrian centre is the best place to go to get experiance theres cross country and a large indoor and they go hunting in the winter! the owner is lovely and is always happy for people to help out in exchange for lessons its in turloughmore PM me if you want the contact details =]

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

Your old books might do....might but I doubt it:p If you're only wanting to do the stage one, buy the book (from http://www.britishhorse.com/sections/bhs_examinations.html). These days the exams are modular, so if you fail one particular aspect you only have to take that part again rather than the whole exam, however have you got the time and money to 'learn through failure?'.

In Co Galway there are two BHS approved schools: CLONBOO RIDING SCHOOL, Corrundulla, Galway. 0917 91362, and SLIEVE AUGHTY RIDING CENTRE, Kylebrack, Loughrea, 09097 45246, info@riding-centre.com, www.riding-centre.com. These are graded on their performance under the BHS scheme and understand the exam process and preparing for it, that's not to say Monard isn't an excellent place to ride! What I would do no matter where you go to get help is to ask what quailifications the instructor has, the equestrian world has many people who are very knowledgeable but may not have the 'right' approach when you're wanting to pass an exam set by a large organzation :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement