Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baikel barrell question

Options
  • 18-09-2012 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

putting this up on behalf of a friend he has a baikel under \over sporter he got muck in the tip of the bottom barell and it buldged about a centemetre back from the tip when he fired it he has shot with it since and never was a prob he is now changing guns and the question is , is it ok to sell gthis gun and how much should he ask if its ok to sell the gun is mechanically perfect but blueing is wrecked and few marks on the wood plus the bottom choke wont come out because of the buldge . or should he just scrap it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I would say scrap it but maybe get a gunsmith to look at it.

There are huge pressures in the barrel of a shotgun and I would prefer to lose a couple of hundred euro than lose a couple of fingers or worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

ye thats what i was thinking its multi choke so couldnt even cut it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

He is a very lucky it was only a bulge.

Snipe
    Can he remove the screw in choke tubes?

Any chance of a few photos?

There is considerably less pressure at the choke end of the barrels.

He is a very lucky it was only a bulge.

Snipe
    Can he remove the screw in choke tubes?

Any chance of a few photos?

There is considerably less pressure at the choke end of the barrels.
    never tried to remove the choke but looking at it id say no its right at the top of the barrell but the very tip never bulged so doesnt effect the spread will have to bite the bullet and try upload photos if i cant ill text them or email

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

There's probably a vast quantity of second hand Baikals floating around, it's highly likely that a gun dealer will be able to sell him a set of barrels if he wants to keep the gun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

He must have got a fair bit of muck in it for that to happen!

Thankfully it was just a bulge and he wasnt injured.

As meathstevie said, he should be able to get a set of barrels handy. Or he could, depending on length, get the barrel shortened and rethreaded for the chokes. There are gun smiths that should be able to do that for him.

The price of a secondhand set of barrels might not be much more than the repair job though.

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    He must have got a fair bit of muck in it for that to happen!

Thankfully it was just a bulge and he wasnt injured.

As meathstevie said, he should be able to get a set of barrels handy. Or he could, depending on length, get the barrel shortened and rethreaded for the chokes. There are gun smiths that should be able to do that for him.

The price of a secondhand set of barrels might not be much more than the repair job though.
    we were hunting up a big long ditch beside a stream and he broke the gun to jump a ditch about three foot wide the gun obviously hit the ground when he landed and at the same time a pheasent we were hunting up broke and he closed the gun and fired not knowing the gun was blocked he was very lucky but as said he has used it away with no probs i might take it and get new barrels for myself would do for the hide how vmuch would a set cost

Easy happen when rough shooting but a lesson learned for him to check the barrels when he jumps next time as he must have felt the impact with the ground.

Easier to break the gun, take out the cartridge and throw the barrels over your shoulder. Protects the gun from impact a bit more.

You could be talking about a couple of hundred euro for a second hand set.

You might be lucky though as many dealers are flooded with guns this year.

Just remember that if the serial number is on the barrel of the baikal and you replace them, you will have to put in for an FCA2 amendment.

Might be as easy to trade in the gun altogether.

Easy happen when rough shooting but a lesson learned for him to check the barrels when he jumps next time as he must have felt the impact with the ground.

Easier to break the gun, take out the cartridge and throw the barrels over your shoulder. Protects the gun from impact a bit more.

You could be talking about a couple of hundred euro for a second hand set.

You might be lucky though as many dealers are flooded with guns this year.

Just remember that if the serial number is on the barrel of the baikal and you replace them, you will have to put in for an FCA2 amendment.

Might be as easy to trade in the gun altogether.
    ya for the sake of it prob best to break it up i wouldnt be willing to fork out a few hundred for a gun i might use . the chap would shoot ya for a pheasant the bird got up when he was jumping and everything else went out the window but serious lesson learnt

snipe02 wrote: »
    ya for the sake of it prob best to break it up i wouldnt be willing to fork out a few hundred for a gun i might use . the chap would shoot ya for a pheasant the bird got up when he was jumping and everything else went out the window but serious lesson learnt

:eek: Make sure you stay behind him or far away from him in future or even better give him a bit of education on safety before he hurts himself or someone else.

I think you might be as well off to give that gun a miss (excuse the pun) plenty good condition firearms out there that you could buy in the safety of knowing that they are fit for purpose and safe to shoot.

Everything in life is all about learning so hopefully your friend has a good lesson learned.

Safe shooting.

• Advertisement

:eek: Make sure you stay behind him or far away from him in future or even better give him a bit of education on safety before he hurts himself or someone else.

I think you might be as well off to give that gun a miss (excuse the pun) plenty good condition firearms out there that you could buy in the safety of knowing that they are fit for purpose and safe to shoot.

Everything in life is all about learning so hopefully your friend has a good lesson learned.

Safe shooting.
    he is an absolute gent but pheasants b ring out the divil in em gets excited dont think hed change no matter what id say im not really looking fo a gun its just that it was machanically perfect apart from the buldge and hate to see things being wasted but what harm better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Cut off the bent barrel and use it as a sinlge barrel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

snipe02 wrote: »
    we were hunting up a big long ditch beside a stream and he broke the gun to jump a ditch about three foot wide the gun obviously hit the ground when he landed and at the same time a pheasent we were hunting up broke and he closed the gun and fired not knowing the gun was blocked he was very lucky but as said he has used it away with no probs i might take it and get new barrels for myself would do for the hide how vmuch would a set cost

Snipe,
    Did you witness this first hand? It's something that unless I was there I wouldn't believe. Perhaps, an entire barrel filled with muck, but a bit of a dunk? I would have expected the pressure wave to pop out the muck without much hassle.

Have you ever seen the episode on the mythbusters when they tried to banana peel a shotgun? Here's someone testing a Remmy with a few inches of mud.

If this firearm bulged over the sake of bit of mud, she's questionable. I would at the very least throw out the barrel and maybe make the whole lot a wall hanger.

Advertisement