Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb 30MB

• 18-09-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

So just looking to get as much information that I can about this service.
    I have a good line of sight to the mast in cork city on the water tower.

How close to the 30MB will I likely get I know congestion can be a problem but how much of a problem, would I be lower than 10MB during congestion hours?

Also what is the ping like and how much effect does weather have on it, is the phone service reliable?

Also im 940 meters from the nearest mast as the crow flies.

I currently getting 10MB on dsl from smarts 24MB package, so the change would likely be worth.

Just need as much information as possible regarding reliability before signing the 1 year contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

I am currently on the 30MB package in letterkenny, during peak times i recieve about 10-15MB, At night, 10pm on i recieve over 23MB. I have seen it hit 29.87MB at times. speedtests can tell lies tho. But when downloading off server during peak times i hit 3MB-3.5MB (3500kbps). So in my opinion its good. Now i notice that its not as fast as fibre broadband but web browsing can sometimes be slow, Also sometimes videos can take a bit of time to buffer, but i enjoy considering my line holds 3MB.

Ping, is awesome. No matter what others will tell you. my average ping is about 20ms.I play alot of xbox also and always get great connection or even host on shooter games with the decent upload speed the provide. So the ping is great for gaming.

I never had any bother with weather problems and donegal can have the worst weather in ireland. My line of sight isnt excellent so i need the extend bar for my connection.

In my opinion i would only switch for fibre now, nothing else. Such a great service in my opinion.

One other thing is that the digiweb.co.uk says that digiweb ireland is currently testing 100MB metro in ireland. Maybe more good news.

Second line after "FEATURES"
    http://www.digiweb.co.uk/?page_id=56

Oh ya the phone service is fine, but dont plug the modem out or u have no phone.

The phone runs from the modem, so no power to the modem, no phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Cork981

Thanks for that review, sounds good to me and that 100mb trial sounds promising.

Think I should go for it providing I don't drop below the 9 -10mb I get now.

Dont get me wrong its good for me and i have it 2 years, but maybe i got lucky, I think letterkenny has a good service. But saying that u live in cork so i would say that service could be better. But maybe more contention, maybe.

I know the mast is connected directly to the man fiber network so shouldn't have a problem on that side.

Also I live in a highly populated area with a strong upc rollout but not available in my estate, so im hoping that metro uptake is low which should limit congestion.

I know the 100gb cap can seem a bit low compared to other providers but I don't personally think ill go over that.

• Advertisement

The 100GB cap is more than you think.You will be suprise what you can do with 100GB. 3.3GB per day.

well i wish you the best of look with your product, also digiweb got new modems recently, they are docsis, They have gigabyte Ethernet ports, so now i have a gigabyte home network, The new modem has built in WiFi, so now more 1 modem, 1 wireless router crap:)

thats good news a single modem is alot better, saw the modem and router setup looks messy to be honest. gigabyte port will be appreciated aswel.

Im also assuming that since im less than 1km from the local mast that should help me maximize the quality of my connection.

Thanks for answering my few question, will do a reivew of it on here few days after I get it connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

You don't happen to know if digiwebs transmitting from lurgybrack or the town centre? Been thinking of getting it but los might be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I have the 30MB Metro package here in Naas, Kildare and my speeds generally are an average 26-29MB down and 980KB up (see samples below). Admittedly I live within 1.5km from the base station but that should not make too much of a difference, as the range for each base station is 15km before signal fades and speeds drop.

2185500684.png2180245450.png

There were issues earlier this year where Digiweb admitted to having problems with the 30MB service but it seems to be resolved now. For the person in Letterkenny there is something wrong if you are only getting an average of 10-15Mb. I would contact technical support about this, as the contention ratio for Metro Express is 36:1 and not the usual 48:1 commonly associated with DSL and this came from technical support themselves.

As for the 100Mb beta trials it is good to see. Hopefully it will be rolled out sooner rather than later and compete with UPC and possibly Eircoms fiber rollout programme. It is also about time that they are finally getting in new modems replacing the Thompson, which is now at its limit @ 30MB.

cunnijo wrote: »
    I have the 30MB Metro package here in Naas, Kildare and my speeds generally are an average 26-29MB down and 980KB up (see samples below). Admittedly I live within 1.5km from the base station but that should not make too much of a difference, as the range for each base station is 15km before signal fades and speeds drop.

2185500684.png2180245450.png

There were issues earlier this year where Digiweb admitted to having problems with the 30MB service but it seems to be resolved now. For the person in Letterkenny there is something wrong if you are only getting an average of 10-15Mb. I would contact technical support about this, as the contention ratio for Metro Express is 36:1 and not the usual 48:1 commonly associated with DSL and this came from technical support themselves.

As for the 100Mb beta trials it is good to see. Hopefully it will be rolled out sooner rather than later and compete with UPC and possibly Eircoms fiber rollout programme. It is also about time that they are finally getting in new modems replacing the Thompson, which is now at its limit @ 30MB.

that's an impressive connection I'd be thrilled if I was able to get then speeds at them hours ! also the ping is great a lot better than dsl.

any idea of the model of the new modem ?

• Advertisement

Cork981 wrote: »
    thats good news a single modem is alot better, saw the modem and router setup looks messy to be honest. gigabyte port will be appreciated aswel.

Im also assuming that since im less than 1km from the local mast that should help me maximize the quality of my connection.

Thanks for answering my few question, will do a reivew of it on here few days after I get it connected.

As you are less than 1km from their mast then the pings and speeds should be similar to what I provided in my last posting. The speeds generally are close to the examples I gave at most times of the day or night and especially at weekends.

As for the modem I would (like you) wish to find out what the new one is and what the quality of service is like using it.

The letterkenny base station is out in lurgybrack, i asked the engineer 2 years ago, thats what he told me. I know i should be getting 20+MB during the day, but trust me it is a long going battle between me and digiweb. Its been goin on months. "Yea we past it on to the second level engineer team.", "Now its been past on to the base station team". (Comments from digiweb) My girlfriend lives around the corner, she gets 27mb during the day and 29md at night.

So from what I gather congestion doesn't seem to be a problem with metro broadband.

Just strange that more people don't use this 30mb service which appears to be considerably better than dsl speed and ping times.

Would like more information about the technical aspect of metro.
    Are they using docsis 2, 3 or a modified version docsis.

Is channel bonding used?

Also as stated previously would like details on the new modem/router they are using.

So from what I gather congestion doesn't seem to be a problem with metro broadband.

Just strange that more people don't use this 30mb service which appears to be considerably better than dsl speed and ping times.

Would like more information about the technical aspect of metro.
    Are they using docsis 2, 3 or a modified version docsis.

Is channel bonding used?

Also as stated previously would like details on the new modem/router they are using.

Hi Cork981

Firstly the new modem that Digiweb are using on Metro is the Thompson TWG870 model and it is DOCSIS 3.0 with 802.11n (WiFi) The link to the instruction manual can be found here if is of any benefit to you http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/original_thomson_twg870_manual.pdf This is the same one that UPC are using for their high speed fibre power broadband and phone service. As an existing customer I contacted Digiwebs technical support and that was the answer I got.

Congestion is not really an issue currently with Metro, as most major towns and cities would be able to avail of UPC's fibre broadband cable service Metro is basically a wireless cable service and is perfect for areas that UPC cannot serve.

As regards channel bonding I am not quite sure. I haven't noticed it and I'm with Digiweb a few years now. As for technical info the best thing to do is to fill in the form on this link and a reply will be sent to you usually within 24 hours

http://www.digiweb.ie/contact-us/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Just some anecodotal evidence from someone using the ENTRY level wireless plan they offer (2Mb down and 0.256Mb up) for €7.50 or so per month. It is reliable, and does what it says on the site. You get what you paid for, no more.

To get an idea of the consistency - so ignore the low speed, it is the entry level product after all - here I have already documented the monthly performance first few months according to the Samknows survey
    In the last few months, the results were

June
    Downstream throughput
    1.87Mbps Average
    0.80Mbps Min 9pm, Fri 8th Jun
    2.02Mbps Max 5am, Fri 15th Jun

Upstream throughput
    0.54Mbps Average
    0.39Mbps Min 9pm, Tue 19th Jun
    0.67Mbps Max 3am, Sat 30th Jun

Latency
    41.51ms  Average
    5.36ms  Min 7pm, Tue 12th Jun
    2305.95ms Max 11am, Fri 29th Jun

Packet Loss
    0.23% Average
    0.00% Min 12am, Fri 1st Jun
    56.50% Max 11am, Fri 29th Jun

May
    Downstream throughput
    1.85Mbps Average
    0.95Mbps Min 9pm, Fri 11th May
    2.01Mbps Max 3am, Sat 5th May

Upstream throughput
    0.52Mbps Average
    0.43Mbps Min 3pm, Thu 3rd May
    0.69Mbps Max 1pm, Fri 4th May

Latency
    28.28ms  Average
    18.67ms  Min 1pm, Fri 4th May
    172.09ms Max 3pm, Mon 14th May

Packet Loss
    0.16% Average
    0.00% Min 12am, Tue 1st May
    28.70% Max 3pm, Thu 31st May

April
    Downstream throughput
    1.89Mbps Average
    1.17Mbps Min 3pm, Mon 16th Apr
    2.00Mbps Max 1am, Thu 12th Apr

Upstream throughput
    0.54Mbps Average
    0.41Mbps Min 7pm, Sat 21st Apr
    0.66Mbps Max 5pm, Mon 23rd Apr

Latency
    32.66ms  Average
    0.00ms  Min 10am, Tue 3rd Apr
    765.62ms Max 6pm, Sat 28th Apr

Packet Loss
    0.09% Average
    0.00% Min 6pm, Thu 19th Apr
    29.53% Max 8am, Tue 3rd Apr

March
    Downstream throughput
    1.90Mbps Average
    0.97 Mbps Min 9pm, Tue 6th Mar
    2.01Mbps Max 11am, Sat 31st Mar

Upstream throughput
    0.53Mbps Average
    0.43Mbps Min 11pm, Thu 1st Mar
    0.65Mbps Max 9am, Tue 20th Mar

Latency
    35.70ms  Average
    5.02ms  Min 7am, Sat 10th Mar
    878.20ms Max 2pm, Sat 3rd Mar

Packet Loss
    0.02% Average
    0.00% Min 10pm, Thu 15th Mar
    1.99% Max 11pm, Wed 21st Mar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

All

Thinking about signing up for the Metro Express - what type of equipment is installed for the receiver and does it need power etc or is it more similar to a satellite dish for example ?

Ta.

ifah wrote: »
    All

Thinking about signing up for the Metro Express - what type of equipment is installed for the receiver and does it need power etc or is it more similar to a satellite dish for example ?

Ta.

Hi

The equipment consists of a small square radio antenna placed on your chimney/roof, which is connected to a modem/router inside your home using co-ax cable. Both items have to be powered up in order to operate.

For further information about Metro click on the link below.
    http://support.digiweb.ie/questions/34/Metro+FAQ%27s

Kind Regards

cheers cunnijo - we don't have any chimneys -can they fix direct to the ridge tiles ?

or could they share the little pole the sky satellite dish is on ?

I presume when you say they have to be powered up that power to the antenna comes via co-ax to the antenna ?

cheers cunnijo - we don't have any chimneys -can they fix direct to the ridge tiles ?

or could they share the little pole the sky satellite dish is on ?

I presume when you say they have to be powered up that power to the antenna comes via co-ax to the antenna ?

Hi
    To answer your question the antenna is powered through the co-ax cable and has a seperate power supply from the modem. The modem connects to the co-ax cable through a special adapter which Digiweb supply as part of the installation. As for the antenna itself the installer can fit it to a high side wall once it has line of sight with the base station. However he will tell you if it is possible or not. Your best option is to contact Digiweb directly and see if they would be able to do a site survey for you.

Regards

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We upgraded to the 30mb package too.
    There is not much change speed is usually around 15mb down and 1 up.
    Latency varies but usually 20-30ms.
    Contention has never been an issue on Djgiweb metro for us.
    We use it for video conferencing with no issues and Netflix as well as normal internet traffic .
    We did not get any new equipment sent out to us when we changed package.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    We upgraded to the 30mb package too.
    There is not much change speed is usually around 15mb down and 1 up.
    Latency varies but usually 20-30ms.
    Contention has never been an issue on Djgiweb metro for us.
    We use it for video conferencing with no issues and Netflix as well as normal internet traffic .
    We did not get any new equipment sent out to us when we changed package.

Hi Moonbeam.

When did you upgrade to Metro Express 30MB? You should have got at least the free Zyxel wifi access point. I initially did not get the free access point but I contacted customer services and received one the next day. But now that they have changed the original modem from the small Thompson to a newer wifi enabled model it might be worth getting this instead. Worth a call.

Just to update you. I have just contacted customer service and a new modem is being sent out to me in the next few days and they do not seem to want the old modem back either.

Regards

Ordered metro today, should be installed in the next 7 days.

Any idea how long the number port takes ?

Will do a small review of speed contention modem and pings in a few days.

Anyone know where the Transmitter is located in Swords ?

ta,.

Ordered metro today, should be installed in the next 7 days.

Any idea how long the number port takes ?

Will do a small review of speed contention modem and pings in a few days.

Hi

From reading a post earlier this year on Boards.ie Digiweb have a base station around the Airside Retail park area if that is any help to you.

Regards

So just got metro installed, I can confirm that its the thomson twg 870 modem.

Here is my speed and ping.

2237243435.png

ping is attached

So just got metro installed, I can confirm that its the thomson twg 870 modem.

Here is my speed and ping.

2237243435.png

ping is attached

Hi

Your speedtest.net reading is similar to what I'm now getting here in Naas since the modem change. Run some speedtests tonight and see what comes back to you.

One thing I need to ask. Did the installer supply the instruction manual and/or the CD with the modem?

Regards

ping has being solid all day between 14-22

slight drop in speed, nothing you would notice while browsing.

2237730643.png

2237877001.png

2238019459.png

2238019459.png

2238120706.png

2238287031.png

2238324402.png

Yes it did come with a CD but it wasn't used.

Cork981 - I am so jealous :(

Looks like I may not be able to get Digiweb due to tree coverage . parts of our estate have already been tested and failed, and due to this Digiweb want €99 to come out and do a test to see if we can get a signal.

I think I have line of sight to some buildings in Airside but not all (we are highest point in estate) - I don't have a telescope to verify what rootf lines I can see. Is there any gadget out there I can use to check for a signal or can anyone tell me which building I need to be able to see to get a signal from Airside ?

Thanks.

Cork981 - I am so jealous :(

Looks like I may not be able to get Digiweb due to tree coverage . parts of our estate have already been tested and failed, and due to this Digiweb want €99 to come out and do a test to see if we can get a signal.

I think I have line of sight to some buildings in Airside but not all (we are highest point in estate) - I don't have a telescope to verify what rootf lines I can see. Is there any gadget out there I can use to check for a signal or can anyone tell me which building I need to be able to see to get a signal from Airside ?

Thanks.

Not to sure but i think the mast is located elm hill, i have attached.

Make sure you check for los from the chimney, i have no los from the second floor but perfect los from the chimney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Ifah, the Digiweb metro site is on the hotel in Airside in Swords (Comfort Inn? I've forgotten what it's called these days.)

Advertisement