Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guineys closed?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

think it is just no 79 and the other ones are staying opened as seperate to that or somthing

pithater1 wrote: »
    Browsing the Journal I see we have lost another Dublin institution

http://www.thejournal.ie/guiney-and-co-closure-dublin-599479-Sep2012/?utm_source=facebook_self&utm_medium=thejournal&utm_campaign=from_page

Of all shops in town, you would have thought that Guiney's would have seen this recession out

I actually found the news to be very sad. I have so many memories of Guineys from when I was a child and as an adult. Myself and My Mam were in it often.

I too would have thought Guineys were recession proof.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

+1, I have many "fond" memories of being dragged in there as a kid to spend hours looking at net curtains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

They just didn't have anything worth buying. At the bargain clothes end Penneys and Dunnes could do better cheaper and the Asian-owned homeware and kitchenware stores and €2 shops sowed up that side of the business. The other branches closer to O'Connell St are separately owned and are still worth a visit for stuff like bed linen.
    Last time I was in there was Halloween when I needed a 70s style polyester shirt for my costume-they had just the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

I was in there last Thursday by coincide. Just before the announcement. The shop was in bits. Full of very cheap tat. Not like a few years back.
    The floor was all uneven and had a horrible brown stained carpet. Rough wasn't in it.
    It was a sad shadow of what it used be. Very run down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement