Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very bright satellite in the sky 15 minutes ago

Options
  • 18-09-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. At first I thought it was the ISS but it's currently over South Africa so it's not. It was nearly directly north moving towards the horizon. A good bit right of Ursa Major. Any idea which it was? I've seen a few satellites the past clear nights but none were as bright as this, so I imagine it was big.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Not sure what satellite that could have been shizz but the predictions for my location in Terenure on Heavens Above don't show anything significantly bright.

However, it is possible one of the satellites in the list generated might be reflecting sunlight stronger than the magnitude predicted -- maybe the Terra satellite which is polar orbiting and sun-synchronous? Terra was passing over around the time you saw the object earlier.

http://www.heavens-above.com/allsats.aspx?Mag=3.5&lat=53.3&lng=-6.283333&loc=Terenure&alt=65&tz=GMT

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I guess it's the best guess. Was very bright though. Unfortunately I didn't get to watch it the whole way as I wanted to show someone it but by the time I got back it was gone. Think I caught a glimpse of it again slightly above the horizon but it was much much dimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

It's surprising how sometimes when watching a satellite of average brightness it suddenly flares up as its orientation changes so all the reflective surfaces catch the sun. It can last just a moment or slowly fade.

Other times you might see a satellite slowly fluctuate in brightness which is a sure sign it could be a spent rocket stage tumbling.

john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭IE2012

shizz wrote: »
    Hey guys. At first I thought it was the ISS but it's currently over South Africa so it's not. It was nearly directly north moving towards the horizon. A good bit right of Ursa Major. Any idea which it was? I've seen a few satellites the past clear nights but none were as bright as this, so I imagine it was big.

I saw this too very bright the colour of xenon lights, in the north sky very big too! It was probably a bit of space junk

Advertisement