Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8mb Eircom line - price and speed ?

Options
  • 18-09-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

hi,

I am on a 8mb Eircom line and its not bad but I would like more choice and better value. I'm paying €53/month but it should be cheaper.

What is the Eircom plan for speed increases ? I see they offer 25mb, 50mb and 150mb on their website but only to a very small area in Dublin and Wexford. UPC recently upgraded their broadband to 150mb, does Eircom have any plan to follow suit ?

Will cheaper Eircom broadband prices arrive ? I think we probably have the one of the most expensive prices in Europe (although good quality networks). I would stick to the 8mb if the price went down but can't but wonder what upgrades will ever be made.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

aindriu80 wrote: »
    hi,

I am on a 8mb Eircom line and its not bad but I would like more choice and better value. I'm paying €53/month but it should be cheaper.

What is the Eircom plan for speed increases ? I see they offer 25mb, 50mb and 150mb on their website but only to a very small area in Dublin and Wexford. UPC recently upgraded their broadband to 150mb, does Eircom have any plan to follow suit ?

Will cheaper Eircom broadband prices arrive ? I think we probably have the one of the most expensive prices in Europe (although good quality networks). I would stick to the 8mb if the price went down but can't but wonder what upgrades will ever be made.

Hi aindriu80,

The speed of broadband in specific areas depends on the infrastructure that has been laid. We are constantly upgrading the network whether it be the DSL/NGB roll-out or the current fibre project. Officially, the fibre scheme is still in the 'pilot' stage at the moment so the current active areas in Dublin and Wexford are mainly for trial purposes in preparation for the wider roll-out. The locations for Phase I & Phase II are listed on our press office site but we don't have specific dates for it 'going live'.

With regards getting a cheaper package, there are some promotional discounts available for customers. Most of these involve entering into a new 12 month contract and you get a discount on the back of this. The amounts vary depending on which package you have but if you call sales directly on freephone 1800 503 303 they can run through them with you. Also, you can view the current range of bundles on the website here. I would imagine there are some savings you can make. If you would like to PM your account number I can check your area to see if we've current plans to upgrade this.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

hi,

Youd be better off going to upc. €53/month for 8 MB is ridiclous

Considering youd be getting tv 50MB broadband and phone for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Hi aindriu80,

The speed of broadband in specific areas depends on the infrastructure that has been laid. We are constantly upgrading the network whether it be the DSL/NGB roll-out or the current fibre project. Officially, the fibre scheme is still in the 'pilot' stage at the moment so the current active areas in Dublin and Wexford are mainly for trial purposes in preparation for the wider roll-out. The locations for Phase I & Phase II are listed on our press office site but we don't have specific dates for it 'going live'.

With regards getting a cheaper package, there are some promotional discounts available for customers. Most of these involve entering into a new 12 month contract and you get a discount on the back of this. The amounts vary depending on which package you have but if you call sales directly on freephone 1800 503 303 they can run through them with you. Also, you can view the current range of bundles on the website here. I would imagine there are some savings you can make. If you would like to PM your account number I can check your area to see if we've current plans to upgrade this.

Regards

James

hi there James, thanks for getting me that information! I can't really fault what I pay for since this is Ireland but I would really like some kind of price change. A price break would be really welcome and I will PM you my account number.

I can't do much else but hope that future Eircom fibre broadband is rolled out relatively quickly compared to pre DSL/ASDL. I used to have a dial up and it was quite a while before any firm decision came down as to what exchanges would be upgraded and when they would.
    Sin City wrote: »
    Youd be better off going to upc. €53/month for 8 MB is ridiclous

Considering youd be getting tv 50MB broadband and phone for that

The price for me is unforgivable as I have seen better speeds in other EU countries at cheaper prices. But UPC is no better, they can't even recognise my address on their system !! I have already contacted them several times with no outcome one way or the other. I used to have an apartment with them in Dublin a few years ago and they over charged with the T.V. I would still move for cheaper Broadband though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

The price for me is unforgivable as I have seen better speeds in other EU countries at cheaper prices. But UPC is no better, they can't even recognise my address on their system !! I have already contacted them several times with no outcome one way or the other. I used to have an apartment with them in Dublin a few years ago and they over charged with the T.V. I would still move for cheaper Broadband though

Your pretty much screwed so im afraid

UPC give the fastest speed in the country but are by no means perfect

As for the price on the continent, everything is cheaper and probably better outside Ireland

Sin City wrote: »
    Your pretty much screwed so im afraid

UPC give the fastest speed in the country but are by no means perfect

As for the price on the continent, everything is cheaper and probably better outside Ireland

well I can't even find out if UPC are in my area.

Yeah, everything is better on the continent. But I would think we could get cabling right as we are connected globally pretty good.

• Advertisement

is the line rental still €25.74 ? The World most expensive ?? I can't figure out how it costs so much for a cable and work detail to install it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is the line rental still €25.74 ? The World most expensive ??
    Yes, Eircom Line Rental is the highest in the world and has been for 10 years or so.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Yes, Eircom Line Rental is the highest in the world and has been for 10 years or so.

I guess the price we pay for broadband (of any quality) will remain high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hi aindriu80,

Thanks for the details, have sent you a reply via PM.

James

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭GOODME

Hi aindriu80,

Regards

James

What are the prices for phone(unlimited anytime local and national calls) and broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

GOODME wrote: »
    What are the prices for phone(unlimited anytime local and national calls) and broadband?

Hi GOODME,

It depends on the broadband package / speed available (or what you decide to go for) If you would like me to look into the options in detail for you, feel free to PM your tel no:

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement