Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2d light stray voltage

Options
  • 18-09-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I connected a Robus 2d 16w light fitting . There is no earth wire in my lighting circuit .
    Light works fine but out of curiosity I tested the metal "disc /housing " with all the circuitry and it showed a voltage of approx 100v on the multimeter and also a phase tester lights up.

can I assume this is a faulty light fitting ?
    also any ideas how the base /disc/housing could come into contact with circuit ?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

You need to get an earth to it for safety check all cables when switched off are connected properly and not touching the metal.

you wont get a right reading as there is leakage in neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

i took it down again,

I tried a continuity test between base and the neutral connections and have not found any faults and wires seem ok.

i am thinking the switching gear might have of some glitch that does'nt appear until power is switched on (though I am not an electrician.) & maybe the casing is faulty....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As already stated yit is important to connect an earth cable to the fitting (often referred to as the "circuit protective conductor").

What 2 points did you measure the voltage across, the disc housing and....?

When the housing is not earthed the voltage between it and neutral will "float".

From what has been described I would doubt that the fitting is faulty.

However I must stress that it is important to connect it properly as the manafacture intended and in line with the regulations.

If the phase tester referred to is the cheap screwdriver type I would not have any faith in what it suggests. These are notoriously unreliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it's prob the hf type
    -they have a small leakage current which might explain it

do they operate correctly without the earth on the ballast?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

M cebee wrote: »
    do they operate correctly without the earth on the ballast?

I would think so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the old magnetic type GE brio used to be a very handy replacement fitting in these cases-double insulated

more than likely fitting isn't faulty i'd guess

Advertisement