Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Options RDS 19th-21st September

• 18-09-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Is there many people going, my school isn't but me and a few mates are going up ourselves? Anyone who has been before, anything particularly worth seeing etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Thousands of students go each year, it's the only time you'll have almost every college/institution in one venue so it's worth going to if you're not sure you can attend open days.

It is worth the trip IMO, you can pick up literature from various courses/departments/colleges, and have any questions answered by staff and students.

There are not only colleges there either, other groups and organisations are also at the exhibition (ranging from study/work abroad groups, to careers in certain sectors), so you can get information on what you can do during/after your studies.

Also, since it's early in the year, missing a day of school won't be as detrimental as it would later on (after Halloween your workload and stress will shoot up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

I went last year , it really depends i knew the college i wanted to go to so i went to the open day , you get to see around the college so open days are the best also there were speakers in my school from college so i didn't really learn anything new that i didn't know, but if you aren't planning on going to open days / don't have speakers then maybe go , you can ask anything you want ,sometimes students doing the course go too which is good, i think open days are better as they are specific but if you don't know what you want to do go to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Is anyone here going to the higher options tomorrow? =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

mulciber wrote: »
    Is anyone here going to the higher options tomorrow? =)
    Aye I'm going in for the I.T and Games Development talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

LostBoy101 wrote: »

I'll probably be going in for that talk too. =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 TheyPreferTom

LostBoy101 wrote: »

Ahh, I'll be heading to that talk tomorrow aswell! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I thought Higher Options was a complete waste of time as there is just too many people crowded in the place and the only positive thing about is that you can get all the prospectus for your courses in the one place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

pretty much agree with LostBoy101 .. Was there today and it was jammed, could barely walk around. Got stuck in a 'traffic jam' for a round 5 minutes, literally. RDS was roasting too, jaysus! Got the prospectuses though which is grand, didn't get to chat to any of the colleges lecturers or students though, was almost a queue or a big huddle around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

I was there today and It was pretty crappy. As what the other posters said, there was far, far too many people at it and it was hard to get around.

That being said, I did really enjoy the games technology lecture, and it was a nice bonus having the entire day off school :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I didn't really like it. I didn't find any new courses and pretty much want to do the same ones. The people at the stands just read out of the prospectus and didn't say much when I asked them about a course
    However I did find the lectures good and the CAO one to be boring, but helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Well i have to say, the only thing i found interesting was L.A makeup academy's topless model... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D3luka

RML wrote: »
    Well i have to say, the only thing i found interesting was L.A makeup academy's topless model... :D

thats what my girlfriend said :P

overall biggest waste of time

Advertisement