Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[NOOB] Moving away from Gillete/cartridge razors.

• 18-09-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I want to dabble with safety and/or straight-edge razors.

I need advice on what make/models to go for first and if people have an favourite places to buy them! I know they can be expensive upfront, but I'm not willing to spend a bomb on one of the fancier razors up front in case I decide it's not for me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

Hi all.

I want to dabble with safety and/or straight-edge razors.

I need advice on what make/models to go for first and if people have an favourite places to buy them! I know they can be expensive upfront, but I'm not willing to spend a bomb on one of the fancier razors up front in case I decide it's not for me!
    Fellow fairly-recent noob here. There is tonnes, and I mean tonnes, of information out there. Definitely encourage you to dive into the threads here. However you can get going straightaway with Double-Edge by getting a Boots own-brand DE for close to a fiver. For the blades don't bother with Boots own-brand but (at least) get Wilkinson Sword or preferably a sampler pack from e.g. shaving.ie (there are other Irish sites, I only have experience with shaving.ie). While you're at it pick up some soap etc - I recently went for the following:
    • Omega 13522 brush e8
    • Proraso Pre Shave Cream e8
    • Proraso 75ml Shaving Cream Bowl (e3 at the moment!!!)
    • Proraso After Shave Lotion Splash e12
    • Two Of A Kind DE Blade Sample Pack e7
    For straight razors the consensus seems to be that the Whipped Dog sight unseen deal is a good place to start. After shaving with a Boots DE (and regular Boots No. 7 shaving gel) for about six months I have gone for the above soaps etc and a Whipped Dog straight. It's going okay.

Personally I wish I had used a brush for much longer before starting with the straight. At the moment it feels like jumping in the deep end and it's taking ages to shave. Getting a proper lather is harder than I thought but really makes a difference when it works. Whether you end up going straight or DE, or going back to the Gilettes you'll benefit from having a proper lather. YMMV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Fellow fairly-recent noob here. There is tonnes, and I mean tonnes, of information out there. Definitely encourage you to dive into the threads here. However you can get going straightaway with Double-Edge by getting a Boots own-brand DE for close to a fiver. For the blades don't bother with Boots own-brand but (at least) get Wilkinson Sword or preferably a sampler pack from e.g. shaving.ie (there are other Irish sites, I only have experience with shaving.ie). While you're at it pick up some soap etc - I recently went for the following:
    • Omega 13522 brush e8
    • Proraso Pre Shave Cream e8
    • Proraso 75ml Shaving Cream Bowl (e3 at the moment!!!)
    • Proraso After Shave Lotion Splash e12
    • Two Of A Kind DE Blade Sample Pack e7
    For straight razors the consensus seems to be that the Whipped Dog sight unseen deal is a good place to start. After shaving with a Boots DE (and regular Boots No. 7 shaving gel) for about six months I have gone for the above soaps etc and a Whipped Dog straight. It's going okay.

Personally I wish I had used a brush for much longer before starting with the straight. At the moment it feels like jumping in the deep end and it's taking ages to shave. Getting a proper lather is harder than I thought but really makes a difference when it works. Whether you end up going straight or DE, or going back to the Gilettes you'll benefit from having a proper lather. YMMV!

I use a brush at the moment actually... with shave gel :pac:

How do soaps and creams contrast to each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Creams are generally easier to get a good lather from but soaps will generally last longer (they can both provide great lather*). That's a fairly simplified summary based on my own observations.

*Depending on the soap or cream used. Some soaps and creams are just ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

Shows how much I know - I wasn't even differentiating between soap and cream. Isn't gel with a brush really messy???!!

Shows how much I know - I wasn't even differentiating between soap and cream. Isn't gel with a brush really messy???!!
    Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

You can access a shaving guide e-Booklet available from http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/ (see top right corner of homepage) which covers off all the basics. Not a bad little booklet for beginners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

There is a sticky with a lot of online shops. I used shaving.ie (coupon code: boards.ie) and connaughtshaving.co.uk myself. I'd recommend the EJ DE89 razor, Semogue 1800 brush, a stick of Arko, Proraso pre/post cream, blade sampler pack (or just Astras or Gillette). Done and not too expensive!

While waiting for your order watch these: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DB6D82F52BA7608&feature=plcp

Really enjoyed those videos! I like the look of the Mulhe R89! It seems to be among the decent entry-level razors. Is this true? Can anybody recommend it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Really enjoyed those videos! I like the look of the Mulhe R89! It seems to be among the decent entry-level razors. Is this true? Can anybody recommend it?

That's an excellent choice. My recommendation, the EJ89, is made by Muhle and is essentially the same razor with a different handle. Muhle does the best chrome plating in the business.

Keep us informed but I have to mention another great resource for friendly advice and encouragement. Check in to the shave clinic: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/55-Shave-Clinic-amp-Newbie-Check-In. Don't be put off by the hobbyists in the other forums who are on a quest to try every razor and brush ever invented. They really are very helpful.

Also, for a European perspective but much less busy site I like: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/portal.php

Called in to Knights in Stephen's Green Centre to have a look and gather some information. Absolutely useless. Complete waste of time, the staff were of no help other than making shaving motions on their face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭nc6000

You are probably a well asking questions on here if you have any.

Advertisement