Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle Air vent Valve In Hotpress

• 19-09-2012 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    I know zero about DIY but I was home in my parents house earlier for the first time in weeks. I noticed all the clothes in the area beside the cylinder were soaked wet so they was obviously a constant leak for weeks. After some investigating there is a vertical pipe to the right of the cylinder that has a valve on top with a screw in plastic piece on the side. I think it may be called a bottle air vent valve. Here seems to be where the water was coming from as it is all discoloured compared to other pipework the whole way down from that. The plastic screw in piece is not screwed in fully either and I left it that way.

My questions are...Is this valve a pressure release type that lets out water when the pressure gets too high?

Is the valve just for bleeding purposes and if so is it safe for me to fully screw in the plastic screw (to stop it leaking) until I get the valve replaced. The reason I did not screw it in already was incase it was a safety release valve as queried above?

Regards
    The Belcher

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Folks,
    I know zero about DIY but I was home in my parents house earlier for the first time in weeks. I noticed all the clothes in the area beside the cylinder were soaked wet so they was obviously a constant leak for weeks. After some investigating there is a vertical pipe to the right of the cylinder that has a valve on top with a screw in plastic piece on the side. I think it may be called a bottle air vent valve. Here seems to be where the water was coming from as it is all discoloured compared to other pipework the whole way down from that. The plastic screw in piece is not screwed in fully either and I left it that way.

My questions are...Is this valve a pressure release type that lets out water when the pressure gets too high?

Is the valve just for bleeding purposes and if so is it safe for me to fully screw in the plastic screw (to stop it leaking) until I get the valve replaced. The reason I did not screw it in already was incase it was a safety release valve as queried above?

Regards
    The Belcher
    It is a auto air vent and it is ok to close the cap on it. But you would want to get it replaced as it vents and air trapped in the heating system as not to end up with air locks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Robbie your dead right in your description.

But the op said the screw was on the side I would of thought the screw on a bottle vent is on the top of the fitting as in the highest point of the fitting.

So op I'd be very sure it's a bottle vent first although it does sound like one but the screw on the side makes no sense to me

Advertisement