Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coloured Bulbs

Options
  • 19-09-2012 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Let me preface this with an apology if it's in the wrong forum, and also for knowing nothing much about anything Electrical :o

I've moved into a new place and the household lighting, although perfect for day-to-day living, is a bit too bright and overbearing for having people over etc. I'm planning to invest in some dimmer arrangements when I get the chance. Anyway, I'm having a small gathering soon and I wanted to play around with coloured lighting just to get a bit of atmosphere going; would coloured bulbs be good for that and will they work in my standard light fittings? Or would I just be better off with LEDs? I don't want disco lights - rather something like the safelight you get in a dark room i.e a red/blue lit room (this sort of idea. maybe I should add that I'm a student, in case anyone gets a seedy sex party vibe :D). I have a vague memory in my head of buying coloured bulbs when I was younger that were just naff and gave a really weak light.

Any advice/alternative suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Let me preface this with an apology if it's in the wrong forum, and also for knowing nothing much about anything Electrical :o

I've moved into a new place and the household lighting, although perfect for day-to-day living, is a bit too bright and overbearing for having people over etc. I'm planning to invest in some dimmer arrangements when I get the chance. Anyway, I'm having a small gathering soon and I wanted to play around with coloured lighting just to get a bit of atmosphere going; would coloured bulbs be good for that and will they work in my standard light fittings? Or would I just be better off with LEDs? I don't want disco lights - rather something like the safelight you get in a dark room i.e a red/blue lit room (this sort of idea. maybe I should add that I'm a student, in case anyone gets a seedy sex party vibe :D). I have a vague memory in my head of buying coloured bulbs when I was younger that were just naff and gave a really weak light.

Any advice/alternative suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.

I think they might look a bit odd in a house. You can get dimmer switches fitted in minutes. A sparks would have a couple of them fitted in an hour or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

some colour change RGB LEDs would work IMHO, look at the supplier sticky for some web sites, also on www.cpc.co.uk and look at the LED options

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

ronan45 wrote: »
    I think they might look a bit odd in a house. You can get dimmer switches fitted in minutes. A sparks would have a couple of them fitted in an hour or 2

Oh yeah, I only meant coloured lights for the party. I'm gonna hunt down some nice dimming lamps etc for general use.

Thanks Stoner, I'll check them out; see if the budget can accommodate!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

http://cpc.farnell.com/images/en_CC/SoundLightingSept12.pdf

CPC run some of their products in publications each month, this one has some party lights and lazers, got a bubble machine from them once for a 12 year olds party.

look at page 11 of this months issue, they have some stuff at from 20 pounds, also the last page

Advertisement