Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Thanks again.

This router caught my attention:
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-rt-ac66u-802-11ac-dual-band-wireless-ac1750-gigabit-router-86K9.html?q=RT-AC66U&src=16

It's an Asus model and just nips the Netgear equilivant for 1st place in a couple of reviews I read, but both are excellent models, and I would be future proofed for this new WiFi signal, I think.

I will be running CAT6 cable to all rooms in my house so this does Gb Ethernet also.

Think it's time to call UPC and upgrade to 100mg and get an upgrade on the Epc2425.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

I also have a cisco EPC3925 in the Admin tab under management I have an option Working mode and I can select Bridged only

I want to use an external Router as I seem to be having problems dropping connection to Blueface sip server and it only seems to happen since this modem router was installed

If I change it to Bridged only can I connect external router wan port to any of the lan ports on the back of the cisco and it will connect to internet

Thanks for help
    mylesm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Leiva wrote: »
    Thanks again.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-rt-ac66u-802-11ac-dual-band-wireless-ac1750-gigabit-router-86K9.html?q=RT-AC66U&src=16

It's an Asus model and just nips the Netgear equilivant for 1st place in a couple of reviews I read, but both are excellent models, and I would be future proofed for this new WiFi signal, I think.

I will be running CAT6 cable to all rooms in my house so this does Gb Ethernet also.

Think it's time to call UPC and upgrade to 100mg and get an upgrade on the Epc2425.

Big difference in price:

http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product/zkb_04rand/80008921/asus_wireless_router_rt_ac66u/details.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

mylesm wrote: »
    I also have a cisco EPC3925 in the Admin tab under management I have an option Working mode and I can select Bridged only

I want to use an external Router as I seem to be having problems dropping connection to Blueface sip server and it only seems to happen since this modem router was installed

If I change it to Bridged only can I connect external router wan port to any of the lan ports on the back of the cisco and it will connect to internet

Thanks for help
    mylesm

UPC keep saying there's no option to bridge??!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Leiva wrote: »

Leiva, the ASUS router is a great choice. If you get it and get the EPC3925, let us know how it all goes!
    mylesm wrote: »
    Absolutely, that's what it's there for!
    UPC keep saying there's no option to bridge??!
    If it's not there, please refer to the first post of this thread for the workaround. Not everyone, apparently, has the option for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aas82

Thx for the workaround which I used to succesfully put my Cisco EPC3925 into bridge-mode.

I have however some problems after doing a factory reset. It was my understanding it would go back to router-mode, but it is still in bridge-mode. It has however erased the admin account so I can now only login with the blank user/pass and that can't be changed while in bridge-mode.

You also wrote that I should be able to perform the procedure in reverse. First problem is that there's no Administration page while in bridge-mode and if I try to perform it from DOCSIS WAN page it doesn't seem to work. Wether it's because of the missing admin account or because on the wrong page I don't know.

Do you have any tips for getting back to router mode? I did factory reset by having it turned on and pressing pinhead button till it restarted.
    Or is there any way to change login and/or disable wireless while in bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Can anyone suggest a router to buy that will work for this? Read a few posts above from people picking up routers that would not work.

I need something with good range. (people complaining that they can't connect to the 3925 from their bedrooms)

This maybe?

aas82 wrote: »
    Thx for the workaround which I used to succesfully put my Cisco EPC3925 into bridge-mode.

I have however some problems after doing a factory reset. It was my understanding it would go back to router-mode, but it is still in bridge-mode. It has however erased the admin account so I can now only login with the blank user/pass and that can't be changed while in bridge-mode.

You also wrote that I should be able to perform the procedure in reverse. First problem is that there's no Administration page while in bridge-mode and if I try to perform it from DOCSIS WAN page it doesn't seem to work. Wether it's because of the missing admin account or because on the wrong page I don't know.

Do you have any tips for getting back to router mode? I did factory reset by having it turned on and pressing pinhead button till it restarted.
    Or is there any way to change login and/or disable wireless while in bridge?
    Really? Even when the option wasn't available, I had a blank Administration page. It most definitely won't work anywhere else due to the VB/C# code that's run on POST being completely different and having nothing to do with the Working Mode.

You'll have to call UPC and beg them to show you mercy. First though, I advise you to try another factory reset. Maybe you didn't stick the pin in for long enough or you missed the button (which can sometimes happen). Make sure you do it while the EPC3925 is switched on and watch it power cycle before removing the pin.
    gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a router to buy that will work for this? Read a few posts above from people picking up routers that would not work.

I need something with good range. (people complaining that they can't connect to the 3925 from their bedrooms)

This maybe?
    I've recommended a few on this page and another user, Leiva, on this page is picking up an ASUS. It costs a fair bit but but it'll do a very good job. I don't know anything about TP-Link so I cannot comment on the model that you have your eye on.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I've recommended a few on this page and another user, Leiva, on this page is picking up an ASUS. It costs a fair bit but but it'll do a very good job. I don't know anything about TP-Link so I cannot comment on the model that you have your eye on.

Ok cool. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Ok cool. Thanks again.
    No problem. If you're on a budget and the ASUS is too far out of your price range, I can personally vouch for the Netgear WNDR3700. You could pick a v1 or v2 hardware revision up for €120 or less, I reckon. The v1 should definitely be cheap enough (which is the revision that I own). Stay away from Harvey Norman and other ordinary retailers if you want to save money.

No problem. If you're on a budget and the ASUS is too far out of your price range, I can personally vouch for the Netgear WNDR3700. You could pick a v1 or v2 hardware revision up for €120 or less, I reckon. The v1 should definitely be cheap enough (which is the revision that I own). Stay away from Harvey Norman and other ordinary retailers if you want to save money.

Yeah Ok cool. I noticed earlier on in the thread that you were talking about how ADSL routers don't work. How do I know whether the router I'm looking at is an ADSL one or not. (Not overly confident on networks so I'm trying to figure this out :P)

I noticed someone used a TP-Link N750 which is slightly out of budget, so I might go for its little sister, TP-Link N600.

Yeah Ok cool. I noticed earlier on in the thread that you were talking about how ADSL routers don't work. How do I know whether the router I'm looking at is an ADSL one or not. (Not overly confident on networks so I'm trying to figure this out :P)

I noticed someone used a TP-Link N750 which is slightly out of budget, so I might go for its little sister, TP-Link N600.
    Did I say that? Jaysus! If it was an ADSL router it would probably say it. Else it's likely a standalone router. I don't have experience with ASUS routers but they are usually spoken quite highly of so I'm going on that. If I said it won't work it was probably because it was an ADSL one and definitely for no other reason.

Did I say that? Jaysus! If it was an ADSL router it would probably say it. Else it's likely a standalone router. I don't have experience with ASUS routers but they are usually spoken quite highly of so I'm going on that. If I said it won't work it was probably because it was an ADSL one and definitely for no other reason.

Well maybe it wasn't you. I think I saw it on page 3. Some guy couldn't get his router to work with it and someone said that it was probably because the router he had was ADSL.

Gonna order something tomorrow. Will have to sit down and actually go through this monster of a thread and see what router to choose :)

EDIT: Just another quick question. After bridging, does the phone cable stay connected to the cisco modem/router or do I need to connect it to my own router that I'm buying?

What you want to look for (whatever choice you eventually make) is often referred to as generically as a "cable router" - ie one that is designed specifically for use with a separate modem. DSL routers will have an integrated modem.

The phone should be connected to the Cisco.

Also remember to get the benefit of the N standard all the connected wifi devices will have to have N standard cards.

dub45 wrote: »
    Also remember to get the benefit of the N standard all the connected wifi devices will have to have N standard cards.

Which most things should if they're purchased withen the last couple of years?

Which most things should if they're purchased withen the last couple of years?

Well its best to check each if you can rather than make that assumption. If say a g item is on the network it will drag speeds down to the g standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gasman77

I managed to get hold of a TL-WR1042ND from adverts.ie at €40. Now not top of the range like their top model or the netgear and Asus models but it has gigabyte ports and an excellent wireless range..
    I only have a 30meg connection but I get a consitent 32meg anywhere in the house and garden wireless or lan. With the cisco there was nothing in the kitchen. I even get 22 meg on my phone which endstops the speedtest.net app i use

I've changed the html source code, applied it but when I go back to the admin page I get this... Why is it all messed up?

screenshot20130303at134.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi gavmcg92,

I got your PM and I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. I don't know why it would do something like that unless the code that was pasted in was botched. Did you replace every ounce of the existing code with every ounce of the code I put on Pastebin?

That failing another attempt, look at my first post and copy the snippet and put it anywhere under the opening <form> tag. It really doesn't matter where as long as it's under the opening <form> tag and above the closing </form> tag. It doesn't have to look good where it is, as long as its data is sent when the form POSTs.

• Advertisement

Hi gavmcg92,

I got your PM and I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. I don't know why it would do something like that unless the code that was pasted in was botched. Did you replace every ounce of the existing code with every ounce of the code I put on Pastebin?

That failing another attempt, look at my first post and copy the snippet and put it anywhere under the opening <form> tag. It really doesn't matter where as long as it's under the opening <form> tag and above the closing </form> tag. It doesn't have to look good where it is, as long as its data is sent when the form POSTs.

Thanks DEC. That's no problem.

Yeah I used select all for getting rid of the code and the pastebin copy function, so I don't think that's the problem.

I think I managed to get it into bridged once but my modem kept rebooting. I'm going to try it again after college tomorrow.

Also, what is the gist of bridging a router to the cisco. What are the general things that need to be changed for the two devices to work together. Should I just look up "how to bridge X to Y" online? Or will the new router just work when it's plugged via ethernet to the modem?

EDIT: Just tried that idea of copying and pasting that small bit of code into the source and that worked. The "Working Mode" box has appeared. Will try to do the rest tomorrow.

Thanks DEC. That's no problem.

Yeah I used select all for getting rid of the code and the pastebin copy function, so I don't think that's the problem.

I think I managed to get it into bridged once but my modem kept rebooting. I'm going to try it again after college tomorrow.

Also, what is the gist of bridging a router to the cisco. What are the general things that need to be changed for the two devices to work together. Should I just look up "how to bridge X to Y" online? Or will the new router just work when it's plugged via ethernet to the modem?

Depending on what you get, it'll be worded differently but it all means the same thing. Just look for stuff relating to getting the IP automatically from the ISP, etc. It's very easy to do. Leave it all on auto and it should work. If you have trouble, post back with your router model and screen shots of what page(s) you think might be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

HI

This is a great thread and thanks for all the info I am using Cisco in Bridge mode and a Linksys Wrt54g2 very stable and never drops

I am considering upgrading to the Netgear WNDR3700 or ASUS RTN66u to get media server capability I want to stream Videos stored on an external drive connected to router

Can anyone here tell me their real world experience with the built in media server in either of these routers

Thanks

mylesm

Hey guys,
    If anyone is having issues with trying to adjust the source code like I was due to the lack of a working mode available, get in contact with UPC:Reps and they will arrange for a new modem to be sent out to you. Turns out my modem is rejecting any firmware updates.

In the cisco router settings... I had the option to bridge only option. So I selected it and saved it. I then went into my tp link login via ethernet cable and set the ssid and dssid. Is that it? Do I need to do anything else? Change any other settings? (The internet is working away)

In the cisco router settings... I had the option to bridge only option. So I selected it and saved it. I then went into my tp link login via ethernet cable and set the ssid and dssid. Is that it? Do I need to do anything else? Change any other settings? (The internet is working away)
    Nope, it seems like you're all set. A lot of EPC3925's now have the option since about a month after this thread was created but there are still some that do not. But yours seems sorted anyways. Do speedtests etc., to make sure everything is running at status quo.

Seems ok. Thanks very much. The only thats not working is my wireless printer. It cant detect the network settings automatically. So I entered ip address and subnet gateway which I got in the tp link router login page and it still wont connect.

Any ideas?

I dont need to disable anything on the cisco other than the wireless function do I? Switching to bridge mood would have disabled all the other necessary functions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Blindpew2012

Inspired by this thread I bought a NETGEAR R6300-100UKS AC1750 Dual Band Wireless Cable Router and a NETGEAR RangeMax Dual band USB Wireless Network Adapter. I followed the instructions at the start of the thread and everything went as described. Before just using the Cisco Router I could only get speeds of about 40mbits when downloading from netload, but now I can get the full 150mbits on any single file. Using the new router without the adapter didn't speed things up much as the pc wasn't able to take the speed but with the adapter it's going full belt. The phone still works as well.
    Thanks to DECEiFER for all the info, I'd have been stuck with below par speeds for ever only for him.

Seems ok. Thanks very much. The only thats not working is my wireless printer. It cant detect the network settings automatically. So I entered ip address and subnet gateway which I got in the tp link router login page and it still wont connect.

Any ideas?

I dont need to disable anything on the cisco other than the wireless function do I? Switching to bridge mood would have disabled all the other necessary functions?
    I'm terrible with printers but I did manage to set two up in an office over WiFi but eventually switched out for cable since it was obviously going to be better and the router was in the same room, so why not.

What I'd suggest is to check inside the router to see if it detects the printer being on the network. How did you attempt connect the printer, through its OSD? What WiFi security is set on your TP-Link? Maybe attempt at disabling the security completely and see if the printer likes that. If so, then it's possible that the issue could be that it doesn't support the type of security you have on your TP-Link currently. Have you tried an Ethernet cable? Finally, did connecting the printer to the EPC3925 over WiFi and/or Ethernet work before you bridged it?

I know it's 50 mouthfuls of questions but it's all in the process of troubleshooting.

Inspired by this thread I bought a NETGEAR R6300-100UKS AC1750 Dual Band Wireless Cable Router and a NETGEAR RangeMax Dual band USB Wireless Network Adapter. I followed the instructions at the start of the thread and everything went as described. Before just using the Cisco Router I could only get speeds of about 40mbits when downloading from netload, but now I can get the full 150mbits on any single file. Using the new router without the adapter didn't speed things up much as the pc wasn't able to take the speed but with the adapter it's going full belt. The phone still works as well.
    Thanks to DECEiFER for all the info, I'd have been stuck with below par speeds for ever only for him.
    Glad to hear it worked out better than your expectations!

It's all about having a good wireless adapter and router, I have a WNDA3100 I keep handy in case it's needed (I'm ordinarily cabled) which would do close to 150 if the conditions were perfect. But that router you shelled out for...I suspect it's pretty damn decent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Got an EPC3925 and it had the Bridge option out of the box. Revised thinking by UPC?

Advertisement