Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

DECEiFER wrote: »
    It doesn't matter. Whoever gives you the best deal is the one you should go with.

It depends on where your master phone socket is, Eir give you an in-house install, where the tech can move your master socket and run a data port to wherever you want to locate the modem. Vodafone and the others do not pay to provide this in-house, the line gets activated and tested as is, if your want it in another room you're SOL and could end up stick with the modem in an unsuitable location or having to pay someone privately to move the master socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

It depends on where your master phone socket is, Eir give you an in-house install, where the tech can move your master socket and run a data port to wherever you want to locate the modem. Vodafone and the others do not pay to provide this in-house, the line gets activated and tested as is, if your want it in another room you're SOL and could end up stick with the modem in an unsuitable location or having to pay someone privately to move the master socket.
    If I was to leave UPC, I'd have maybe gone with Vodafone as they seem to be the cheapest and was planning on running cable upstairs, rather than moving the socket.

But it's good to know what you've just said, as the decision needs to be as informed as possible.

I'm thinking of going with Eir, for the simple reason that if something goes wrong, at least I'm dealing with the company that owns the infrastructure.

I had a bit of a nightmare with getting a phone line installed for DSL in 2008. I was signed up with BT Ireland and there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between them and Eircom at the time. The issue couldn't be resolved and I ended up cancelling the line after paying about €200 in install fees and line rental for the couple of months I had the line in for. So the idea of moving ISPs has me a bit nervous.

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going with Eir, for the simple reason that if something goes wrong, at least I'm dealing with the company that owns the infrastructure.
    If you just want broadband without phone, check this out:
    https://switcher.ie/broadband/providers/eir/eir-fibre-solo/

I can't find it on their website, though, so it might be exclusive to those aggregators?
    I had a bit of a nightmare with getting a phone line installed for DSL in 2008. I was signed up with BT Ireland and there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between them and Eircom at the time. The issue couldn't be resolved and I ended up cancelling the line after paying about €200 in install fees and line rental for the couple of months I had the line in for. So the idea of moving ISPs has me a bit nervous.
    That's not good, however, I'd relax a bit as you said you're in a new place now. If you feel you need to leave UPC, go for it.

It is there, but you need to go nearly to the end of the broadband page to find it!

https://www.eir.ie/broadband-only/

• Advertisement

It is there, but you need to go nearly to the end of the page to find it!

https://www.eir.ie/broadband-only/
    My heart just wasn't in it. :P

I really hate their website and don't even get me started with Sky's. At least UPC's was simple - even if lacking information (such as specifics about hidden charges).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gasman77

3 years+ on since DECEiFER's hard work and determination got bridge mode working on the cisco epc 3925, 3 years of trouble free networking being able to use the router of my choice, all thanks to DECEiFER. Now all thrown away by some misinformed (really meant under-educated but thats not PC so I didn't say it) committee ( it has to be a committee or task force or project team etc. such that no one individual is accountable) that have just lost a large percentage of VM's business and PR overnight.
    Many thanks for the 3+years DECEiFER, so sorry to see your efforts go down the drain. Have to go now and reset the cisco AGAIN, Boards . ie is too much for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You can set it up as an access point from your Virgin modem. A few of us here have done it this way without using bridging and it works fine. Last place I saw one in a B&W store it was Currys.

Is there any significant drawbacks to using it as an access point as opposed to bridging?

Obviously bridging isn't an option now but I'd still like improved (consistent) wifi in the house. I've all devices I need wired but for phones and laptop etc. would an Archer C7 set up as an access point deliver me better results? It can't be hard considering what I'm putting up with at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dirtonth

So there is NO WAY of forcing the cisco epc 3925 to hold the Bridge mode setting?

Well, I've just joined the club. The 3925 just rebooted out of nowhere and I'm stuck in router mode. Now it's time to really investigate a new ISP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Vikings wrote: »
    Is there any significant drawbacks to using it as an access point as opposed to bridging?

Yes, part of the reason for bridging is for a better and easier to configure firewall. Others were not happy with the cpu performance if the stock modem when it's routing and handling everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, part of the reason for bridging is for a better and easier to configure firewall. Others were not happy with the cpu performance if the stock modem when it's routing and handling everything else.

This ^^ Doing NAT at 240Mbit/s is just too much for it and it gets it's knickers in a twist, eventually needing a reboot to sort it out.

I've just been on the phone and cursed some poor yank chick out of it. She cut me off in the end because of how angry I got at her, and while it's not her fault, this is what Virgin Media causes its customers to resort to because the fúckers making the decisions are hiding behind their call center employees - so it was justified. Anyway, she wasn't any help, so I'm calling back tomorrow and I'll always start out on the phone as being reasonable until I no longer have the patience. I've also sent the Reps a PM. I'll give them a week to sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've just been on the phone and cursed some poor yank chick out of it.
    That was a pretty ****ty thing to do to be honest and doesn't really help things along.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dirtonth

We are also pushing this on fb. Please post your comments on fb here: /VirginMediaIreland/posts/1145950452099846

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've just been on the phone and cursed some poor yank chick out of it. She cut me off in the end because of how angry I got at her, and while it's not her fault, this is what Virgin Media causes its customers to resort to because the fúckers making the decisions are hiding behind their call center employees - so it was justified. Anyway, she wasn't any help, so I'm calling back tomorrow and I'll always start out on the phone as being reasonable until I no longer have the patience. I've also sent the Reps a PM. I'll give them a week to sort this out.

It's never justified, just a **** thing to do. Nobody caused you to be abusive, you made that decision all by yourself.

Alun wrote: »
    That was a pretty ****ty thing to do to be honest and doesn't really help things along.
    I was in the middle of doing web work and when this happened it threw everything off. I can't, in spite of using DMZ, get my damn ports forwarded. So, yes, I was uncontrollably angry once she was unable to get me a straight answer. I didn't curse her, I cursed VM. Totally justified because now I'm still trying to fix things and can't continue with my work until I do. If any of us could just get answers or speak to the person responsible that would be fantastic! But until then, and when there's a need to vent, there is no other choice. I am aware that it doesn't lend well to an argument and if I thought for one second that I had a chance of my argument carrying any weight, I'd have tried harder to hold in my anger and kept it clean.
    It's never justified, just a **** thing to do. Nobody caused you to be abusive, you made that decision all by yourself.
    I didn't abuse anyone but the company. As I said, I lost my temper - justifiably. I will be calling back tomorrow. You can count on it.

You were talking to a low level customer service rep, you abused her. To think otherwise is deluded

ThisRegard. Also, I've seen your posts on this thread and the one over on the Talk To forum. You don't seem to care whether or not you can bridge or not but for those of us who do, it's a major bummer. So have some respect for that. You have your opinion, you've stated it, and now you don't need to keep doing so. This thread is about bridging the EPC3925. If you don't have anything to ask or contribute to that end, go somewhere else, please.
    You were talking to a low level customer service rep, you abused her. To think otherwise is deluded
    If I could speak to the person behind the decision, I would have abused him directly if he wasn't going to be reasonable about it! We all lose our temper from time to time and I did in this instance. Get over it.

I've said over and over I understand the issue. Bridging would be good for me, but I can work around it, as I suspect a lot of people kicking and screaming can too.

But it's a bit rich asking me to respect things when you see some of the quite frankly over the top reactions from posters, especially considering the outcome, and causation, is still unknown.

If you have an issue with my posts because you feel I haven't yet lit a torch and joined the angry mob, report me. You're being a hypocrite, how is posting telling us how you cursed and abused a rep until she could take no more, and how you intend to do it again, any more constructive?

Grow up.

• Advertisement

I've said over and over I understand the issue. Bridging would be good for me, but I can work around it, as I suspect a lot of people kicking and screaming can too.

But it's a bit rich asking me to respect things when you see some of the quite frankly over the top reactions from posters, especially considering the outcome, and causation, is still unknown.

If you have an issue with my posts because you feel I haven't yet lit a torch and joined the angry mob, report me. You're being a hypocrite, how is posting telling us how you cursed and abused a rep until she could take no more, and how you intend to do it again, any more constructive?

Grow up.
    You miss my point. I have no intentions or a will to report you. I'm just saying that you keep posting that "it's no big deal" like you're speaking to idiots who don't know how to work around it. But workarounds aren't optimal and preferred.

I said it numerous times now. I. Lost. My. Temper. Tell me it's never happened to you. And stop putting words in my mouth. I will be calling back tomorrow but the aim is to get somewhere positive. I don't ring up with the intention of cursing at the person at the other end. I would, however, love to get on the line with whoever makes these damn decisions. Obviously tomorrow I will be calmer and while I intend to be quite forceful on the issue, I expect I will be able to form a more intelligent way of conveying my anger and disappointment. Hopefully that puts your mind at ease. If not, there's nothing more I can say.

I'm asking you, one more time, to please either contribute to the matter at hand or ask a question if you genuinely have one. We know your position already. Thank you for stating it. It might be of help to someone. However, there really is no need to keep going on about it.

I don't keep saying it's no big deal, I've been up front acknowledging it is for some from the very beginning. If I'm harping on about anything it's about the infantile reaction from some.

If Virgin turn around tomorrow saying they'll never allow bridging again then by all means tell them to stick it, but some of the reactions and conspiracy theories just hide any decent points put to them in a cloud of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Lads, break time is over and your Montessori teacher wants you back in class. In the meantime can anybody confirm if the DMZ trick will allow port forwarding to work?

degsie wrote: »
    In the meantime can anybody confirm if the DMZ trick will allow port forwarding to work?

I have 2 linux servers and can confirm it, I have the following talking outside, owncloud, zoneminder, subsonic, openvpn, transmission and many others.

Now if its for gaming, I wouldn't be sure on the performance hit, if there is any..

Well it does add an extra hop to the connection and if the router has any functions that require a public IP, they won't work correctly.

I've also encountered funny issues in the field with double NAT, such as not being able to use VPNs on double NAT'ted F1000s or even one case where a client's double NAT connection was dropping constantly until we bridged it. When it comes to IT I'm a purist, I always try to do things properly.

Well it does add an extra hop to the connection and if the router has any functions that require a public IP, they won't work correctly.

I've also encountered funny issues in the field with double NAT, such as not being able to use VPNs on double NAT'ted F1000s or even one case where a client's double NAT connection was dropping constantly until we bridged it. When it comes to IT I'm a purist, I always try to do things properly.

And I agree with you, I work in IT myself and have bridged a fair few of the 3925 on business accounts which involves ringing up support and requesting it, they will then provide an IP Block and after bouncing the unit, voila.

The above is a work around, and for some people may be all that is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

NoDrama wrote: »
    And I agree with you, I work in IT myself and have bridged a fair few of the 3925 on business accounts which involves ringing up support and requesting it, they will then provide an IP Block and after bouncing the unit, voila.

The above is a work around, and for some people may be all that is needed.

So are you suggesting that we all change to a business account as a workaround?

degsie wrote: »
    So are you suggesting that we all change to a business account as a workaround?

Sorry, long day, my intention was to refer to an earlier post,which turned out to be in another thread, which was a workaround in placing the unit in the DMZ, again a very long day. Apologies...

You can always try IP Pass-through, which will allow an authorized device by way of a MAC address to bypass the EPC3925's NAT and go straight to a public IP assignment, similar to bridging. A major caveat is that it seems to be roughly halving the downstream bandwidth (120-140Mb instead of 240Mb in my case). Perhaps because there are two active public IP assignments on the account when active. However, what's strange is that it's not affecting the upstream. Read on if you're interested. If not, use the DMZ method.

I never noticed it before tonight as this is obviously only available in router mode and when I saw it, I thought I'd give it a shot. It didn't work at first but that's because there are a couple of quirks - at least there were for me, but once the router is locked on, it's just like bridging, only the EPC3925 is still in router mode, connected, and gets a different public IP. It's because Virgin allow us to have more than one IP that this works (I believe we can have up to three concurrently).

You may notice that at first when you add your router's MAC address to the IP Pass-through settings in the EPC3925 that nothing changes. You're going to want to reboot the EPC3925 and this is what got me for a bit as I was impatient/lazy to reboot so was troubleshooting to see if it was something else. It wasn't. Also, when you reboot the EPC3925, you will also want to reboot your router as well (making sure that the router finishes booting last so it can lock onto a ready EPC3925). If you don't, it will get a local IP assignment if DHCP is on in the EPC3925 or it will get no assignment if DHCP is off. For me, I can get away without reboot my router by hitting Apply on the Basic Settings page of my Netgear WNDR3700, which will cause the router to attempt to lock on. Not everyone's router will do that so rebooting as mentioned is a safe bet.

Once you're armed with the info and go about it correctly, it's good to go. Hell, I even got the same IP back that I had while bridging, which makes perfect sense.

My advice would be to turn off every routing feature in the EPC3925, including DHCP, and obviously Wireless. While the EPC3925 has a public IP address, it will be unused by any of your devices that are connected to your router. It wouldn't need to have one only for the fact that there's no way around it, besides bridging.

See the attached screenshots for more info.

For me, it's still bridge mode or bust. I'd have been happy enough with the IP Pass-through if it didn't compromise the bandwidth and would have considered staying with VM, with the other, perhaps smaller part of me wanting to leave just to stick it to them (with others doing the same, hopefully, to make a big enough impact). So I'll see if they allow us to bridge our devices again and if they do within a reasonable amount of time as of now, that might be reason enough to stick around. Otherwise, it's back to square one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭teddy_irish

You can always try IP Pass-through, which will allow an authorized device by way of a MAC address to bypass the EPC3925's NAT and go straight to a public IP assignment, similar to bridging. A major caveat is that it seems to be roughly halving the downstream bandwidth (120-140Mb instead of 240Mb in my case). Perhaps because there are two active public IP assignments on the account when active. However, what's strange is that it's not affecting the upstream. Read on if you're interested. If not, use the DMZ method.

I never noticed it before tonight as this is obviously only available in router mode and when I saw it, I thought I'd give it a shot. It didn't work at first but that's because there are a couple of quirks - at least there were for me, but once the router is locked on, it's just like bridging, only the EPC3925 is still in router mode, connected, and gets a different public IP. It's because Virgin allow us to have more than one IP that this works (I believe we can have up to three concurrently).

You may notice that at first when you add your router's MAC address to the IP Pass-through settings in the EPC3925 that nothing changes. You're going to want to reboot the EPC3925 and this is what got me for a bit as I was impatient/lazy to reboot so was troubleshooting to see if it was something else. It wasn't. Also, when you reboot the EPC3925, you will also want to reboot your router as well (making sure that the router finishes booting last so it can lock onto a ready EPC3925). If you don't, it will get a local IP assignment if DHCP is on in the EPC3925 or it will get no assignment if DHCP is off. For me, I can get away without reboot my router by hitting Apply on the Basic Settings page of my Netgear WNDR3700, which will cause the router to attempt to lock on. Not everyone's router will do that so rebooting as mentioned is a safe bet.

Once you're armed with the info and go about it correctly, it's good to go. Hell, I even got the same IP back that I had while bridging, which makes perfect sense.

My advice would be to turn off every routing feature in the EPC3925, including DHCP, and obviously Wireless. While the EPC3925 has a public IP address, it will be unused by any of your devices that are connected to your router. It wouldn't need to have one only for the fact that there's no way around it, besides bridging.

See the attached screenshots for more info.

For me, it's still bridge mode or bust. I'd have been happy enough with the IP Pass-through if it didn't compromise the bandwidth and would have considered staying with VM, with the other, perhaps smaller part of me wanting to leave just to stick it to them (with others doing the same, hopefully, to make a big enough impact). So I'll see if they allow us to bridge our devices again and if they do within a reasonable amount of time as of now, that might be reason enough to stick around. Otherwise, it's back to square one.

I did this yesterday because I lost my bridge mode on my Cisco. Glad to see instructions here. Many of us suffer from lack of connectivity recently. Go ahead everyone - this method works great!

Advertisement