Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

ED E wrote: »
    Simply:
    No Bridging = Better wifi, same routing(Firewall, port forwards, poss performance issues)
    Bridging = Better wifi AND better routing

Some of us find VMs kit likes to fall over(crash) when you have too many connections simultaneously or do certain intensive things. Using our own routers solves this. I also see slightly lower latency which is a nice plus.

The better routing control allows you to add forwards or rules to your hearts content. Want QoS? Cool. Need filtered keywords? Grand. Multiple subnets? Done.

So either way its better, but the more "work" of bridging can give you a better setup if you have the need of it.

And is it a simple task for an average to intermediate user?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depends. Deceifers original post has all the details, see have a put some day when you've a couple hours free to tweak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Simply:
    No Bridging = Better wifi
    Bridging = Better wifi

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

degsie wrote: »
    :confused:

What he means is without bridging all you get is better wifi, with bridging you also get better routing, firewall etc

What he means is without bridging all you get is better wifi, with bridging you also get better routing, firewall etc
    Doesn't make much sense to me. My TP-Link router offers far superior wifi when connected to my bridged 3925. The unbridged 3925 wifi was pants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

degsie wrote: »
    Doesn't make much sense to me. My TP-Link router offers far superior wifi when connected to my bridged 3925. The unbridged 3925 wifi was pants.

Adding an Archer C9 without bridging all you get is better wifi from the Archer, with bridging you also get better routing, firewall etc

Adding an Archer C9 without bridging all you get is better wifi from the Archer, with bridging you also get better routing, firewall etc

Ah ok, got it. I if you connect a different router as a AP then indeed your wifi should improve. Should have read the previous posts more carefully :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

After spending the last few days reading up on VM internet I would like to ask a few questions re Bridging.....

1) If I bridge (not sure exactly the reasons are, other than being able to use an additional Router) my Cisco Cable Modem can I simply attach my Dual Band Router?

2) Would I be able to set up port forwarding and have access to my internal network still? I also have Rako automated lighting and I am keen to see if I can get this working via the Internet :)

I have purchased the TP Link Acher C9 (http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C9.html) Router is it just a case of setting up bridging and plugging the C9 into the current Cisco Modem? ................Or do I really need to Bridge?

I have a basic understanding but I don't want to get in a pickle and have no service and please tell me to leave well alone if you think my questions are a little stupid....
    Are you a customer with a 3925? If not, you won't get near one as they don't give them out to residential customers anymore. They're giving out some Ubee router these days and I'm pretty sure they've covered their bases re: bridging that one - meaning it's not possible at present. You could get a Technicolor TC7200 (are they still giving those out?) and you can bridge that via SNMP.

Moral of the story, you'll get what you're given and they won't swap for the purpose of getting a router that can be bridged, so you'd have to get creative and lie to get a different replacement - by saying you have a device that's incompatible and won't connect. Someone suggested saying it's a printer a week ago.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Are you a customer with a 3925? If not, you won't get near one as they don't give them out to residential customers anymore. They're giving out some Ubee router these days and I'm pretty sure they've covered their bases re: bridging that one - meaning it's not possible at present. You could get a Technicolor TC7200 (are they still giving those out?) and you can bridge that via SNMP.

Moral of the story, you'll get what you're given and they won't swap for the purpose of getting a router that can be bridged, so you'd have to get creative and lie to get a different replacement - by saying you have a device that's incompatible and won't connect. Someone suggested saying it's a printer a week ago.

Just had a look and I seem to have a Cisco EVW 3226 according to the label on the bottom.

Is this the one or am I fooked?

EVW 3226 is the Ubee. Can't be bridged.

• Advertisement

Just had a look and I seem to have a Cisco EVW 3226 according to the label on the bottom.

Is this the one or am I fooked?
    Now you're going to have to tell a fib or two to get a different model replacement. A device, like an older laptop or phone or printer cannot connect to the Ubee, and you need a Technicolor TC7200. You won't get an EPC3925 but you can always ask! Do not mention that you need it for bridging as they'll say, and I quote, "we do not support bridging or allow device switches for that purpose" and something about not being sold the service with bridging as a guarantee. The odd thing is that I noticed one user on the VM forum report that bridging worked on their Ubee briefly after VM fixed the issue that stopped it on all our devices and then it stopped, so it's definitely capable if they wanted to allow it.

Your other option is to "faux" bridge it via the DMZ/double NAT method. For most everyday uses that'll work fairly well - better than using the any VM router exclusively, but it doesn't suit some of the more technically inclined folks who need to do more with their home network.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Background here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lord2bo

has anyone tried it in 3828 and succeeded ? i follow some tutorial on other's site, that simply run a script from bookmark but turned out a 403 forbidden page.. please help me make my 3828 set into bridge mode

lord2bo wrote: »
    has anyone tried it in 3828 and succeeded ? i follow some tutorial on other's site, that simply run a script from bookmark but turned out a 403 forbidden page.. please help me make my 3828 set into bridge mode
    You're out of luck. Your ISP has blocked it and therefore the solutions offered here won't help. Outside of getting your ISP to do it for you or them unblocking it, you're not going to have much luck. This seems to be the case for some, if not all, non-Irish Cisco CPE modems.

It looks like the TC7200 can not be bridged either!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106714&page=40

It looks like the TC7200 can not be bridged either!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106714&page=40
    Yeah, I'd been told about the firmware update screwing it up. I think it's time to revive the thread on the VM forum that got a response from Brian and to PM Brian to alert him to the thread again, as by now he would probably assume it's all off-topic and no longer an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah, I'd been told about the firmware update screwing it up. I think it's time to revive the thread on the VM forum that got a response from Brian and to PM Brian to alert him to the thread again, as by now he would probably assume it's all off-topic and no longer an issue.

Ive x2 EPC3925 at home, has anyone had any luck getting them to swap a model they they already have. Moved house and they gave us a TC7200 but told us to keep the 3925 as they 'dont need them anymore' so they are sitting in a box.

Since the 7200 cant be bridged not getting the full use out of my Archer AC2600

listermint wrote: »
    Ive x2 EPC3925 at home, has anyone had any luck getting them to swap a model they they already have. Moved house and they gave us a TC7200 but told us to keep the 3925 as they 'dont need them anymore' so they are sitting in a box.

Since the 7200 cant be bridged not getting the full use out of my Archer AC2600

Post on the TalkTo forum here on boards, the reps there can register the ciscos MAC with the CMTS if you're very polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Post on the TalkTo forum here on boards, the reps there can register the ciscos MAC with the CMTS if you're very polite.

Ah cool that makes sense, yeah i had no problems with the EPC3925. Didnt want the technicolour my setup was perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Has anyone ever succeeded in getting UPC / Virgin to send a new modem due to the crappy speeds of the EPC3925 over wifi?

We just received an email being offered 240Mb for the same price as 120Mb.

But since you can only get 60Mbps max out of the EPC3925, regardless of using 150Mbps card, or 300Mbps it almost seems pointless with this modem.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    Has anyone ever succeeded in getting UPC / Virgin to send a new modem due to the crappy speeds of the EPC3925 over wifi?

We just received an email being offered 240Mb for the same price as 120Mb.

But since you can only get 60Mbps max out of the EPC3925, regardless of using 150Mbps card, or 300Mbps it almost seems pointless with this modem.
    None of their offerings are any better; I'd consider the Technicolor and Ubee to be even worse. You're really better off bridging the Cisco and using your own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

It just pisses me off that a Router they provide cannot give the speeds stated over WiFi.

I really feel like I shouldnt have to spend 100 euro on another router just because they provide a POS! :p

Doge wrote: »
    It just pisses me off that a Router they provide cannot give the speeds stated over WiFi.

I really feel like I shouldnt have to spend 100 euro on another router just because they provide a POS! :p

Like every other ISP. Inside the house, your problem not theirs. They provide you with internet, not wifi, wireless in the mode is just a free bonus.

January 2016 has been a rough month for deaths of icons. And this morning, my poor WNDR3700 died - an icon indeed. I woke up to seeing no WiFi on my phone, thought it was odd that the SSID was missing, and noticed my router powercycling over and over and even when it did settle for a moment before doing so again, I couldn't get into the web UI. It could be a transformer issue and I'm waiting to get my hands on a suitable one to test with (12V 2.5A). It's an American model as I got it on eBay in January 2012 as a refurb from the UK, so I'd say he got it from the States as the transformer is the original American one and it was glued to an el cheapo white travel adapter in the box. But it lasted 4 years and was a good router in its day. In the meantime I've taken the plunge and ordered an ASUS RT-AC68U through PC World for €135 (apparently down from €200 for the sale). It ain't any cheaper elsewhere. If a new transformer brings my WNDR3700 back to life, I'll put it to work as a wired-only router elsewhere.

Now I'm suffering the 3925 yet again after 4 years of bridging (and faux bridging) while I wait for the ASUS to arrive (next week sometime, I'd say). I do have an EnGenius ESR9850v2 that I got new and packaged from the back of a white va...but they're a P.O.S so I wouldn't even bother. :)

- duplicate post

I have just been on to VM re the new 360 package which now comes with the new AC Router

Here was the reply

Hi There Richard, The new router is the Compal CH7465, it does has the option to be used in modem only mode :) Any other questions let me know. Jean

So we should now have Bridging, let's see if it's true.

Oh I had to pay €60 to upgrade but I got the €30 for 3 months and then an extra €10 a month

I have just been on to VM re the new 360 package which now comes with the new AC Router

Here was the reply

Hi There Richard, The new router is the Compal CH7465, it does has the option to be used in modem only mode :) Any other questions let me know. Jean

So we should now have Bridging, let's see if it's true.

Oh I had to pay €60 to upgrade but I got the €30 for 3 months and then an extra €10 a month
    That's true, it does have modem only mode. Have one myself.

According to Brian on the VM board, the €60 upgrade was scrapped, or did I read it wrong?

According to Brian on the VM board, the €60 upgrade was scrapped, or did I read it wrong?

It was shown as €0 on my invoice so happy days!

Going to pm you if you don't mind..... Need a couple of questions answered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

probably best asked here....

So I am guessing if my current setup; Cisco 3925--bridged-->Asus AC66u goes tits up then this new VM Compal modem is the way to go, as it allows bridge mode?

cause I am hearing/reading conflicting posts about Virgin no longer allowing bridge mode.

Advertisement