Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

1373839404143»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

degsie wrote: »
    Still have my trusty 3925 running in bridged mode @ 120Mb/s. Would this be able to handle 240Mb if I were to upgrade?
    Yup. It'd take nearly 300 (on 8 downstream channels). I had 240Mb/s for the last few years on it until late last year when I got the Hub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Selfish I know :p...but I'm delighted you've moved over to the new hub.

I've still got my 3925 running and you where a great help with me setting it up way back when - least now i know if/when the inevitable occurs and i need to change over then you've trail blazed for all us mere numpties.:pac:
    Ahahaha. It was the only reason why I was open to changing. I felt that it was possible my 3925 was beginning to show its age due to the odd time the LAN port jumping to 100Mbps (orange light) out of nowhere. It was only happening the odd time (and increasing slowly in frequency) but before it got out of hand and while there was a free upgrade, I went ahead and took the plunge. I still have a 3925 at the office and it never jumps to 100Mbps (though it is flashed with their special SME firmware for bridge mode rather than triggering it with the menu in ours).

On the Hub, I still note that the domestic ping times are higher and more erratic than on the 3925. I honestly can't say why. Take Google.ie, for one example; you'd get the odd jump but it'd be 10-12ms most of the time. It's more like 12-20ms with the Hub, with regular enough spikes into the 20s. International ping times don't appear affected and are very consistent. Like BBC.com or some servers I ping'd in Sweden - I haven't noticed any major increase and the consistency is much better. Not a big deal as domestic ping times are low enough to notice no difference in reality and gaming-wise, most servers aren't in Ireland (at least that I know of) so a ping of 30-50ms is quite acceptable. Still, I have no idea why it only affects domestic servers...but I'm happy overall and have no plans to cry about it as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Ahahaha. It was the only reason why I was open to changing. I felt that it was possible my 3925 was beginning to show its age due to the odd time the LAN port jumping to 100Mbps (orange light) out of nowhere. It was only happening the odd time (and increasing slowly in frequency) but before it got out of hand and while there was a free upgrade, I went ahead and took the plunge. I still have a 3925 at the office and it never jumps to 100Mbps (though it is flashed with their special SME firmware for bridge mode rather than triggering it with the menu in ours).

On the Hub, I still note that the domestic ping times are higher and more erratic than on the 3925. I honestly can't say why. Take Google.ie, for one example; you'd get the odd jump but it'd be 10-12ms most of the time. It's more like 12-20ms with the Hub, with regular enough spikes into the 20s. International ping times don't appear affected and are very consistent. Like BBC.com or some servers I ping'd in Sweden - I haven't noticed any major increase and the consistency is much better. Not a big deal as domestic ping times are low enough to notice no difference in reality and gaming-wise, most servers aren't in Ireland (at least that I know of) so a ping of 30-50ms is quite acceptable. Still, I have no idea why it only affects domestic servers...but I'm happy overall and have no plans to cry about it as is.

Hi,
    I finally taken the plunge and took Virgin up on a great offer.
    I'm going to receive their new Hub and Horizon Tv stb (using just for tv) during the week.
    I have the option just to stick with the Cisco3925 but feck it, may as well bridge the new Hub and use that instead.

So question if you don't mind....
    At present my Cisco 3925 is bridged to my Asus router.
    Is it just a case putting the new Hub into bridge mode and hot swapping the 3925 out?
    Or is there some LAN configuration (I.p's) to be completed first?

Sorry it's just been so long since I bridged the 3925 into the Asus... I'm a bit rusty!

Hi,
    I finally taken the plunge and took Virgin up on a great offer.
    I'm going to receive their new Hub and Horizon Tv stb (using just for tv) during the week.
    I have the option just to stick with the Cisco3925 but feck it, may as well bridge the new Hub and use that instead.

So question if you don't mind....
    At present my Cisco 3925 is bridged to my Asus router.
    Is it just a case putting the new Hub into bridge mode and hot swapping the 3925 out?
    Or is there some LAN configuration (I.p's) to be completed first?

Sorry it's just been so long since I bridged the 3925 into the Asus... I'm a bit rusty!
    The change in modem may result in you being moved to DS-Lite, which will require you to request a change back to IPv4. One you're on v4, bridging the hub is all you need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Karsini wrote: »
    The change in modem may result in you being moved to DS-Lite, which will require you to request a change back to IPv4. One you're on v4, bridging the hub is all you need to do.

Thanks!

Yea I will be keeping a close eye on my IPv4 address and make sure there's no change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

modem3925.jpg

Any chance I can bridge this one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭54and56

First of all thanks @DECEiFER and others who have gone to the trouble of putting this together.

I'm going to have a go at setting up Bridge Mode on my Virgin business UPC Cisco EPC3925 and note the need for a web browser or browser extension that is capable of live manipulation of a website's HTML source code.

I have both Chrome and Firefox installed. Will either of those do the trick or do I need to install Opera?

Advertisement