Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Colmrenault

This router is a beast of a thing.
    I've an Asus RT-N56U, the previous flagship model. Pure animal. Highly recommended and Asus are so good at making firmware updates for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Yeah I heard ASUS were good but I've never had the pleasure of using any of their networking devices so far, but I always get ASUS motherboards when I build a custom PC (I'm currently using a P6T from the early Nehalem Core i7 days) or when I recommend specs to others.

What are you throwing at the router right now?

4 active house mates, each with laptop, tablet and phone. Have a USB harddrive plugged in and the routers media server streams its media to the ps3 and other dlna upnp devices. Love the vpn server facility and the dual 2.4ghz and 5ghz. QoS to make sure online gaming wont get choppy when someone downloads an ISO.

This is all with stock firmware. Gotta try tomato still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

4 active house mates, each with laptop, tablet and phone. Have a USB harddrive plugged in and the routers media server streams its media to the ps3 and other dlna upnp devices. Love the vpn server facility and the dual 2.4ghz and 5ghz. QoS to make sure online gaming wont get choppy when someone downloads an ISO.

This is all with stock firmware. Gotta try tomato still.
    I heard Tomato is great but on this device it does limit the wireless options, whatever results from that, I don't know. That's only what I heard, I obviously cannot say for sure.

25Mbit line...
    2268396519.png

25Mbit line...
    2268396519.png
    They didn't give you a free upgrade to 30Mb back months ago?

• Advertisement

They didn't give you a free upgrade to 30Mb back months ago?

Went from 20Mb to 25Mb :-)

Went from 20Mb to 25Mb :-)
    Ah, old school! :)

Could you not the new get 50Mb pack for roughly the same cost, with the major downside only really being that you'd have to start another 12 month contract?

Ah guess we could but we aren't to heavy on downloading so 25Mbps is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Hi Guys

I just had my old router replaced with this Cisco EPC3925.
    I have a wndr3700 that I have always used for my routing with the old one in dmz mode.

I noticed that there is a setting in this one to use it in router mode or bridge mode.

Can I just put it in bridge mode and still have the phone working?

gramo wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I just had my old router replaced with this Cisco EPC3925.
    I have a wndr3700 that I have always used for my routing with the old one in dmz mode.

I noticed that there is a setting in this one to use it in router mode or bridge mode.

Can I just put it in bridge mode and still have the phone working?
    Yes. No problem. It will work. I have the exact same setup as you.

• Advertisement

Yes. No problem. It will work. I have the exact same setup as you.

But whats all that stuff on the first page mate?
    Was this option originally unavailable when upc first brought this out?
    Is it as simple as going to Administration and changing to bridged mode?

Cheers

Graham

Yeah it was only made available in October. When I wrote all that stuff in the first post it was necessary to add some HTML code into the page to see the option.

I'd have edited it but the timespan for editing the post has expired and I have to ask a mod to do it for me and that's not a quick process, and I'm sure Cabaal is sick of me asking him to edit in revisions for me at this point.

Just slap it into Bridge mode and let the Netgear get all IPs dynamically and you'll be online no problem. Make sure to disable Wireless in the EPC3925, though, before you switch over. Also there's no danger in trying it out, you can always switch back to Router mode. So even if it did break the phone service (which the old EPC2425 did), you can always switch it back and everything would be alright.

OK so I have everything working as I want, The cisco is been bridged and passing everything to my wndr3700.

My only problem is when I am downloading anything via my browser.
    I'm using Chrome and tried to download a firmware for something, My download speeds would not go over 100kbs.
    Also downloading the iphone update in itunes takes Foorreevveerr..

I rang UPC and they said everything was fine and it was a browser issue
    I download torrents through my iomega ix200 Nas drive and that is wired into my wndr3700, My download speeds are a good 1.7/2.2 Meg a second.

Anyone any ideas?

Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 2 attila16881

I am experiencing the same issues as you with the Cisco router.

I've had a look at some routers and I've found the TP-Link WR1043ND.

It is cheap but it brings almost all the features of the routers you mentioned (Asus, Netgear,...) a gigabit router with wifi-n and 3 antennas.

It is possible to install the DD-WRT firmware too.

Do you think it would be a good choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I am experiencing the same issues as you with the Cisco router.

I've had a look at some routers and I've found the TP-Link WR1043ND.

It is cheap but it brings almost all the features of the routers you mentioned (Asus, Netgear,...) a gigabit router with wifi-n and 3 antennas.

It is possible to install the DD-WRT firmware too.

Do you think it would be a good choice?

I've got two of these particular routers. One running stock firmware, the other running OpenWRT. Both solid as a rock, well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 attila16881

roast wrote: »
    I've got two of these particular routers. One running stock firmware, the other running OpenWRT. Both solid as a rock, well worth the money.

Thanks Roast! I'm ordering the router right now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcfly9

How do I go back to routed mode? I cannot seem to browse http://192.168.100.1/Administration.asp and on the regular pages I don't find the setting any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mcfly9 wrote: »
    How do I go back to routed mode? I cannot seem to browse http://192.168.100.1/Administration.asp and on the regular pages I don't find the setting any more.

Factory reset with the button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcfly9

ED E wrote: »
    Factory reset with the button.

thanks, I'll try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rereser

edit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey guys, apologies here, I am a complete noob.

If I am out of my depth based on asking these questions don't be afraid to tell me.

I got UPC today, wired its fast as ****, over wifi it varies hugely around my house. Unfortunately my pc is in a bit of a dead zone, it'd be massive hastle to hard wire it, though I might just do it.

I'm able to set up bridging on the cisco side following the guide, but not sure quite how to do it on my old Belkin router as an access point.

This is the same model I was using. Can anyone help / is it worth it. I dunno how much more powerful this really is.

http://www.adverts.ie/routers-and-modems/belkin-f5d8636-4a-router/1959887

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Using the tp link wr2543nd for a few days .My connection drops out every

couple of hours . If I use tunein radio from my android phone (s2 ) .I get an fc on the phone and the wifi

connection drops ,I have to restart the router .Any help appreciated .

UPDATE :
    I now discover that its only rte radio that takes out the wifi ,how weird is that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Yeah it was only made available in October. When I wrote all that stuff in the first post it was necessary to add some HTML code into the page to see the option.

So there's an actual, supported bridge mode now? Wow! I never expected that.

That's great, in that case it would be worth it for me to upgrade. I tried to get a new modem off them by saying the range was bad, but they said they had to send someone over to have a look and I didn't think it was worth taking a day off for it.

With the HTML hack I was a bit worried that they might find some way of blocking it but if they officially support it I'm all happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DublinC

DECEiFER, you were a great deal of help to me in the past! Many thanks.

I've finally upgraded my router, I've had it bridged for the last two or three months with an older Wireless G Netgear router. Today I picked up a new TP-Link WDR4300 and WDN3200 adapter. It's...Amazing, to say the least.

Getting speeds like the one below over WiFi is something I never expected.

1sINP

I highly recommend the above router.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

DublinC wrote: »
    I've finally upgraded my router, I've had it bridged for the last two or three months with an older Wireless G Netgear router. Today I picked up a new TP-Link WDR4300 and WDN3200 adapter. It's...Amazing, to say the least.

I highly recommend the above router.
    Is that on 5GHz or 2.4GHz? I'm considering that router too as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DublinC

Alun wrote: »
    Is that on 5GHz or 2.4GHz? I'm considering that router too as it happens.

1t0T9

That's from 2.4GHz this morning. Still a vast improvement over using the Cisco.

Soooo. Just changed over from my guide to true bridge with this. Things didnt go to plan for a while until I cop'd what was going on. When the EPC bridges properly it passes through the external(naturally). Coming from my old setup my WNDR3800 was running static external(1.2 external, 2.1 internal). Flipping it to DHCP from ISP got things up again.

Nowwwwww, lets see if it stays stable. Fingers crossed it does because it was a bugger before then.

2329923601.png

Lower pings by a small bit too, swish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 miticus

Thank you Deceifer. The hack in first post worked great for me. Please tell me if you know if EPC3925 is capable of disabling NAT and do static routing. Maybe some other hidden menus??? I have upgraded my subscription to 150Mbps and have a small public subnet that is routed through an UPC IP address. I use an old 100Mbps router for this job which is a bottleneck now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 prabaker

So if its just the wireless you want to sort can you disable the wireless on epc3925 and plug in a wireless AP extender and it will work can anyone recommend a device.

Advertisement