Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-from-dolphins
    Personally I wouldnt take him for anything over 6 million a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Raf32 wrote: »
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-from-dolphins
    Personally I wouldnt take him for anything over 6 million a year!

That link leads to the homepage. Is that about Jake Long? Yeah, he's not worth any more than $6mil a year. He's gone off the boil a bit over the last year or two. Would still be a very nice acquisition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I hate the 2009 Americas Game!!!!!

J. Michael of CSN Baltimore says impending free agent OLB Paul Kruger "definitely" won't be re-signed by the Ravens.
    I think we have to sign this guy up if this is true as a replacement for Freeney.

• Advertisement

Awwww schucks we lost to the Super Bowl Champions!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

I think so too unless he wants to take a pay cut. His output over the season doesn't justify his cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 macker20

Lads if there is anyone with an interest in taking up the sport. Meath Bulldogs are still recruiting for the 2013 season. meathbulldogs@gmail.com Go Colts!

• Advertisement

Freeney is gone.....

tumblr_m5y5twPapT1qjehm8.gif

And yes I know it was necessary and the team is rebuilding but its Freeney, it's the spin move, it's 93 and 98!!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Freeney is gone.....

tumblr_m5y5twPapT1qjehm8.gif

And yes I know it was necessary and the team is rebuilding but its Freeney, it's the spin move, it's 93 and 98!!

Collie too!

Collie too!
    Meh, the dudes putting his health at risk if he continues to play, should move into coaching!!

Do not like....
    Text from Dwight Freeney: "I was very surprised to hear they wanted to go in a different direction. Would have been nice to retire a Colt.''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

2 expected moves on Freeney and Collie!!

I firmly believe we'd have a second Super Bowl if Freeney hadn't been injured against the saints!

Collie has been so unfortunate with injuries!! Had he stayed injury free I think he could have been one of the best slot receivers in the NFL! At one stage we had a receiving corpse of Wayne, Garcon, Collie and Clarke! With Peyton at QB! Serious talent there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

I think letting Freeney go is the right move. He's good but not worth the money he was earning if we're going to use him as an outside linebacker.

Can't wait to see what Grigson does with all that free cap space!

Freeney had to go. The NFL and the tight cap space doesn't lend itself to loyalty. It disgusts me in a way. The average career length (I read somewhere) is 3 years. But the average Premier League soccer player, or MLB baseball player earns waaaayyy more than the average Lineman in the NFL. To put that in perspective: the 2010 NFL combine had more TV viewers than ANY regular season MLB game that year. The cap space in the NFL makes for great entertainment, but it should be double what it is. The guys in the trenches don't earn enough.

Having said that, and on a more positive note: It's one of the best opportunities in the last decade to take advantage of that. The Colts have nearly fifty million of cap space in an offseason that might see Welker, Volmer, Jennings, Bowe, Reed, Long, Revis, Kruger up for grabs. We can afford a bunch of those players. Plus Luck playing in a system he's more accustomed to, with the experience of a baptism of fire in the vertical, high-risk Offense that he succeeded in, behind him. We could seriously be looking at a deep run into the playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

In baseball they play 160 games a year. In football they play 16. That generates more income, so obviously they get paid more. The average career length also includes guys who simply didn't make it, which is hardly a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pity Freeney is being let go but it's the right move for the future methinks. As per Collie, he's good but far too injury prone so his departure is to be expected.

Interesting to see what recruits we bring in now.

matthew8 wrote: »
    In baseball they play 160 games a year. In football they play 16. That generates more income, so obviously they get paid more. The average career length also includes guys who simply didn't make it, which is hardly a career.

NFL has more revenue than major league baseball, or any other sport. It's not justifiable to give these guys a smaller piece of the pie because ultimately, they bring in as much or more as a journeyman baseball player.

That's true about the guys who don't make it, but they're the guys who maybe deserve a bit more of the pie. If a guy only plays one season in the NFL, hestill deserves to walk away with a decent paypacket IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Seems such a clear match for Paul Kruger to end up in Indy.

He was a struggling 4-3 DE and looking like a second round bust not long ago.

Pagano got promoted to coordinator, switched him to 3-4 OLB, coached him up and now he's an excellent contributor playing to his strengths.

The Ravens defensive players loved Pagano, any of them would want to go play for him again.....I'd include Ed Reed in that too

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Seems such a clear match for Paul Kruger to end up in Indy.

He was a struggling 4-3 DE and looking like a second round bust not long ago.

Pagano got promoted to coordinator, switched him to 3-4 OLB, coached him up and now he's an excellent contributor playing to his strengths.

The Ravens defensive players loved Pagano, any of them would want to go play for him again.....I'd include Ed Reed in that too
    Kruger does look like a possibility alright!! Any time I seem him last year he looked good, especially in the playoff game against the colts!! Though in fairness I could probably destroy the Colts o-line!!

Seems like Colts are sticking with Powers, do yee think its as a #2 or #3 corner? I wouldnt mind if he was our #3 and would like to keep Butler as well. Add one more through the draft and a safety through free agency ( maybe Ed Reed) and our secondary looks very strong. Then focus on Freeneys replacement (Kruger??) and the most important weakness, the O-line.

Seems like Colts are sticking with Powers, do yee think its as a #2 or #3 corner? I wouldnt mind if he was our #3 and would like to keep Butler as well. Add one more through the draft and a safety through free agency ( maybe Ed Reed) and our secondary looks very strong. Then focus on Freeneys replacement (Kruger??) and the most important weakness, the O-line.
    Id say Davis and Butler would be our starting corners. But it depends. Grigson hinted he'd be looking at DTs and CBs early in this draft today. We'll see.
    Personally in a 3-4 such as ours we need a solid ILB, OLB and SS. For me someone like Kiko Alonso in the 3rd or 4th would be a great pick up.
    But I still think O line is priority-- maybe in the FA.

davyjose wrote: »
    Id say Davis and Butler would be our starting corners. But it depends. Grigson hinted he'd be looking at DTs and CBs early in this draft today. We'll see.
    Personally in a 3-4 such as ours we need a solid ILB, OLB and SS. For me someone like Kiko Alonso in the 3rd or 4th would be a great pick up.
    But I still think O line is priority-- maybe in the FA.

Did we reach out to Butler to keep him do you know? As long as Vaughan is gone Ill be happy. I actually like our ILB core, think its one our strengths. SS needs addressing and the O line will definitely be fixed throughout FA, cant see anyone in that position falling to us in the draft of real quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

NFL has more revenue than major league baseball, or any other sport. It's not justifiable to give these guys a smaller piece of the pie because ultimately, they bring in as much or more as a journeyman baseball player.

That's true about the guys who don't make it, but they're the guys who maybe deserve a bit more of the pie. If a guy only plays one season in the NFL, hestill deserves to walk away with a decent paypacket IMO.
    The CBA in the NFL has a minimum wage rate for each year of experience - an NFL rookie will earn a minimum of $405,000 if on the 53 man roster for 2013 - a ten year veteran will ean a minimum of $940,000 for a one year contract. Some players who only play a handful of snaps on STs can earn anything in the region of $6-8million from the minimum wage over a prolonged career - e.g. Aaron Brewater, the Broncos long snapper (who could play for ten years or more with the Broncos) will earn $480,000 in 2013 - playing about 15 snaps a game. Prior to that the Broncos (over)paid Lonnie Paxton $5.3million over five years for being a long-snapper.

The CBA actually works for both owners and players - it guarantees the owners a significant profit each season and it guarantees minimum pay rates for players. It also works for the sport because the salary cap for the 53 man roster levels the playing field for all teams.

Lads who do yee want in the draft first round? I would love a corner maybe Banks?

Lads who do yee want in the draft first round? I would love a corner maybe Banks?
    Depends on FA really!! So many needs but corner could be a good bet I'd say!

We still don't have the correct personnel to run a 3-4, so I expect a DT/DE type player, or maybe an outside Linebacker (don't feel ILB is strong in this year's draft to warrant a first rounder).

I also think a Guard could be a possibility. Cornerback isn't as big a need as the O line and D line, but as Taidgh said, it all depends of the FA.

• Advertisement

We still don't have the correct personnel to run a 3-4, so I expect a DT/DE type player, or maybe an outside Linebacker (don't feel ILB is strong in this year's draft to warrant a first rounder).

I also think a Guard could be a possibility. Cornerback isn't as big a need as the O line and D line, but as Taidgh said, it all depends of the FA.
    There seems to be a lot of strength in depth at o-line, DT, OLB and CB this year (according to the people who know anyway, I'm no expert....as you may have guessed!!)! There are a couple of OLB's in FA that I think we might have a go at (Kruger and Spencer) and also a few O-Line FA's!

The reason they may go CB in the draft is the type of defence that Pagano wants to use! From what I can see we let the corners go man to man without a lot of safety help! We must have brought in over 10 corners in training camp last year presumably in the hope that we would find someone that could cover man to man, rather than trying to work on a system between the CB's and safeties - if ya know what I mean!

My own preference in the draft would be a guard in the first round! Protect your most valuable asset first and then worry about the rest! Having said that we can probably pick up the best player available, regardless of position and have a significant upgrade on what's there already!

Advertisement