Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I think they will sign Kruger or Spencer in FA along with working on the O line, Grigson hinting he will go CB first, which I wouldnt mind at all. Banks stock got hurt yesterday everyone is saying so maybe trade down in into the second?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Raf32 wrote: »
    I think they will sign Kruger or Spencer in FA along with working on the O line, Grigson hinting he will go CB first, which I wouldnt mind at all. Banks stock got hurt yesterday everyone is saying so maybe trade down in into the second?
    Grigson might go after Mile Jenkins this year too!! Doubt hell be back with the Cowboys considering he's 4th choice there now!

Pat got the tag it seems, but they are working on a longer deal so looks good. Delighted to see Saturday retire a Colt and get a role within the organization already. Great reading about almost trading manning in 2004, that would have been some disaster! Good news day though. Links still appearing linking us to Kruger and Reed, cant wait for FA to start!

I see Jim has spent the last few days pissing off the Washington media and redskins fans!! He has a point though! As exciting (and productive) as it is to see RG3 running through defences it does put him at a much higher risk of getting injured!

Which brings me on to Pep Hamiltons' comments on using the read option next year! I brushed the comments aside at the time because I thought he was just naming every formation/play type/offensive philosophy, etc in the press conference! Really can't see us using that (though I do remember Stanford using the wildcat when Luck was there - madness IMO!). What do the rest of ya think on the read option? Personally wouldn't like to see it!

Be interesting to see if there's any interest in Stepfan Taylor! From what I've seen he's solid RB and there's the obvious Stanford connections!! Chris Ivory won't be leaving the Saints this year by the looks - really like him as a RB and thought there might be an outside chance we'd have a look at him!

Just to follow up on Ivory he expects to get a RFA tender so it coul either be the second round tender or a no compensation tender! Saints are changing to a 3-4 and have salary cap problems so maybe they might go with the no compensation one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

taidghbaby wrote: »
    I see Jim has spent the last few days pissing off the Washington media and redskins fans!! He has a point though! As exciting (and productive) as it is to see RG3 running through defences it does put him at a much higher risk of getting injured!

Which brings me on to Pep Hamiltons' comments on using the read option next year! I brushed the comments aside at the time because I thought he was just naming every formation/play type/offensive philosophy, etc in the press conference! Really can't see us using that (though I do remember Stanford using the wildcat when Luck was there - madness IMO!). What do the rest of ya think on the read option? Personally wouldn't like to see it!

Be interesting to see if there's any interest in Stepfan Taylor! From what I've seen he's solid RB and there's the obvious Stanford connections!! Chris Ivory won't be leaving the Saints this year by the looks - really like him as a RB and thought there might be an outside chance we'd have a look at him!

Agree with you about the read option. I don't think it would be wise. Luck is a big, fast, athletic guy, but he doesn't have the elite speed of RG3 or Kaepernick. Maybe as a very last option if the pocket opens for him. But it's worth noting that Luck actually had a higher 1st down conversion % than RG3 last season. The kid knows how and when to run, so I don't see what needs to change.

Howard Eskin ‏@howardeskin
    I'm told #eagles will release CB Nnamdi Asomugha 2day after 2 yrs w team. He was to make 15 million this season. He does get 4 mill #fox29
    Wouldnt be a bad option for us.

Jeff Saturday has just resigned and retired there now! Presume the press conference will be up on the website later on! He's taking on a media / PR role for the time being with something else in the future presumably!!

Himself and Manning have the record for either the longest QB/Centre partnership streak, or the most amount of games for a partnership of all time!!

Jeff Saturday has just resigned and retired there now! Presume the press conference will be up on the website later on! He's taking on a media / PR role for the time being with something else in the future presumably!!

Himself and Manning have the record for either the longest QB/Centre partnership streak, or the most amount of games for a partnership of all time!!

Good to see him retire as a Colt.

Mike Chappell ‏@mchappell51
    #colts will issue RFA tenders to OL Jeff Linkenbach and CB Cassius Vaughn; EFA tenders to CB Josh Gordy, NT Martin Tevaseu, G Joe Reitz
    Disappointed if we keep Cassius over Butler, he was a liability all season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Jeff Saturday signs contract to retire with Colts
    INDIANAPOLIS (AP) Indianapolis gave Jeff Saturday a chance to fulfill his NFL dream.
    On Thursday, he came back to thank the town and the team that embraced his improbable journey from undrafted free agent to NFL star.
    Moments after signing his final contract with the Colts, Indy's longtime center and a key figure in forging a settlement to the 2011 NFL lockout officially retired with the team that brought him into the league 14 years ago.
    "This does not happen for many players, especially many offensive linemen," Saturday said. "I'm excited to retire as a Colt. I mean, this is my home. This is what we've supported for so many years. I was known, no matter what team I was playing for, as a Colt. So it's good to put that horseshoe on and go out that way."
    GALLERY: The NFL's Sign-and-Retire Club
    Colts fans will always remember Saturday for his gritty play and down-to-earth attitude. Nationally, he will forever be known as the voice of reason during the contentious lockout negotiations. Saturday lobbied on behalf of the players he represented and constantly urged both sides to remember that they would be best served by reaching a settlement rather than losing the "golden goose."
    After the two sides agreed to a 10-year collective bargaining agreement, Saturday's embrace of Patriots owner Robert Kraft became an endearing image of labor peace. Kraft had just finished speaking about his wife, Myra, who died during the negotiations, when Saturday put aside Indy's bitter rivalry with New England, hugged Kraft and then credited him for "saving football."
    On Thursday, Saturday also acknowledged his appreciation for Colts football also played a big role in reaching a compromise.
    "This organization is what I hope all the NFL teams strive to be. In every negotiation I was involved with the PA (players association) and the NFL, I used us (the Colts) as an example of what you should strive to and I make no bones about it," he said. "This organization is the best in the business and it will continue."
    Before playing in his sixth and final Pro Bowl last month, Saturday had already said he was retiring. He even made a cameo appearance with the AFC so he could snap the ball one more time to his close friend, former Colt and current Bronco Peyton Manning. Green Bay cut Saturday last month, a procedural move that made Thursday's festivities possible.
    Ironically, though, the move came exactly one year to the day after team owner Jim Irsay and Manning, the four-time MVP, appeared in the same room to announce Manning's release. Both men spoke then in halting tones as they fought back tears.
    This time, it was more celebratory. Saturday and Irsay smiled and even joked about the formality of the one-day deal.
    "I'm going to sign this contract and let Jeff come up and sign his portion so we can make it official that Jeff is a Colt today, and this is not costing me anything," Irsay said, drawing laughter. "And that's rare, but Jeff did ask for a new pickup truck so I told him I would consider that. "
    When Saturday stepped to the podium, he responded in kind.
    "Like he said, it cost him a lot more the last time than it did this time," Saturday said.
    The only time Saturday choked up was when he thanked his wife, Karen, for allowing him to pursue a football career. He then turned toward reporters and explained he couldn't look at his wife because he would "lose it." She wiped her eyes, too.
    Saturday also thanked his three children, seated behind him in blue No. 63 jerseys, Irsay, his head coaches and position coaches, ex-teammates and even the equipment managers and trainers, some of whom watched from the back of the room.
    His improbable journey actually started in Baltimore in 1998. The Ravens signed him as an undrafted rookie but cut him before training camp opened.
    One year later, the Colts took a low-risk gamble on someone who had spent the previous year selling electrical supplies in North Carolina and he wound up making the roster. By 2000, he had won the starting center's job, which he kept until leaving for Green Bay as a free agent last year.
    With Indy, Saturday won two AFC titles, one Super Bowl ring, became a pillar in the community and made 170 starts with Manning behind him, an NFL record for a quarterback-center tandem.
    "The relationship between a center and a quarterback is special. We loved each other but we could fight each other as well. We could bump heads and there was always a mutual respect," Saturday said. "It never got any further than that. It was always on the field. Off the field, we were friends. He's taken me to places and given me gifts and allowed me to do things that I would never have the opportunity to do."
    Asked for his favorite football moment, Saturday didn't offer up the Super Bowl win.
    "The AFC Championship game trumps them all for me," he said, referring to the Colts' second-half comeback against the Patriots in the 2006 playoffs. "Getting to recover a fumble for a touchdown, getting to slay the Patriots, all those things. That's the one for me, even above the Super Bowl."
    Saturday said he will continue to make Indy his home and Irsay said Saturday will be inducted into the team's Ring of Honor. Irsay also has hired Saturday to work in the Colts' community relations and marketing department and said there could be a future for Saturday on the coaching staff or in the front office.
    "Here's a man who came into the league, no one thought he was going to do much," Irsay said. "He wasn't a first-round draft pick and is an individual who literally took this town and this state over with his integrity, with his love for the community, with this performance on the field, just an absolutely incredible individual. Going through the lockout, how he played a huge role in getting that settled. It was just absolutely incredible how Jeff has made his mark in this league and for this franchise."

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SpottyWetWang

According to a poster on the Colts forum, the Colts will be featured on Path to the Draft on the NFL network tonight.

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/16080-colts-will-be-featured-on-path-to-the-draft-nfl-network/

NFL network schedule, just says episode 2 at 10:00 pm our time.
    Never seen it before, but i'll check it out.

Seems like we are going to make a big splash tomorrow, cant wait!!

Rumors abound that Indy are chasing both Andy Levitre and Louis Vasquez. I'd be happy with one of those. To get both would improve our O line tenfold. Man, I'd be very very happy with that.

davyjose wrote: »
    Rumors abound that Indy are chasing both Andy Levitre and Louis Vasquez. I'd be happy with one of those. To get both would improve our O line tenfold. Man, I'd be very very happy with that.
    Hmmm....I thought it was one or the other??
    If we get either it'll be a big difference!

Hmmm....I thought it was one or the other??
    If we get either it'll be a big difference!

That's what I thought, but the source I saw said both - a left and a right. Well see. I expect Vasquez is in the bag anyway.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/3/11/4087956/report-colts-are-chasing-guards-andy-levitre-and-louis-vasquez

Grigson did he say he preferred veteran o-line players as opposed to rookies so I suppose it's not a huge shock he's targeting both! Would be a lot of money tied up in guards though!! Having said that I'm all for protecting Luck!!

Grigson did he say he preferred veteran o-line players as opposed to rookies so I suppose it's not a huge shock he's targeting both! Would be a lot of money tied up in guards though!! Having said that I'm all for protecting Luck!!

These lads are only 25/26. Get some proven talent rather than risk a bust in the draft. We've been burnt before by linemen who have turned out to be busts.

Latest rumour is Averil to the Colts and Kruger to the Browns!! Averil has had more production but has played mostly (i think!) DE in the NFL whereas Kruger has been playing at OLB!!

Latest rumour is Averil to the Colts and Kruger to the Browns!! Averil has had more production but has played mostly (i think!) DE in the NFL whereas Kruger has been playing at OLB!!

That could be a blessing in disguise. I wanted Kruger for a while but as you pointed out, he has more production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,368 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Colts have signed Donald Thomas, now a former Patriot. Good player who could become a very good one imo.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Colts have signed Donald Thomas, now a former Patriot. Good player who could become a very good one imo.

Was going to ask about him. You recommend him?

Disappointed we didn't get Levitre or Vasquez, but Thomas is surely an upgrade from what we have?

Toler signs for $15 3 year deal. Crazy money for an unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Toler signs for $15 3 year deal. Crazy money for an unknown.

5 quid a year isn't much to feed oneself with :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Was going to ask about him. You recommend him?

Thomas is a very good player and did a real good job covering Mankins and Connolly when they were down. He played 48% of all offensive snaps in 2012, including 7 starts. I would have liked to have kept him, but he was never going to get the money staying with us. :(

Can't help but feeling a little underwhelmed after some of the names being bandied about all month, but the more I think about it, the more I understand today's signings. Drastically overpaid on Toler and Walden, but we got two important pieces in place on our O-line, which will help keep Luck upright, and maybe buy him another half second in the pocket.

But the FA is about building dept; if we can make a few trades in the draft, and choose wisely, we're in very good shape. Especially as an 11-5 team going into Luck's 2nd season.

Can't help but feeling a little underwhelmed after some of the names being bandied about all month, but the more I think about it, the more I understand today's signings. Drastically overpaid on Toler and Walden, but we got two important pieces in place on our O-line, which will help keep Luck upright, and maybe buy him another half second in the pocket.

But the FA is about building dept; if we can make a few trades in the draft, and choose wisely, we're in very good shape. Especially as an 11-5 team going into Luck's 2nd season.
    Underwhelmed is the word alright!! Perhaps the most important signing was keeping Butler who came on very strong towards the end of the year! Read somewhere that he had the second lowest passer rating in targets against him last year (Toler had 5th!) but I can't verify that - in fairness though he was never covering a number 1 receiver! Powers is likely gone, which is a loss! If he could stay injury free he could be very good!!

No marquee signings and we may have overpaid on a couple of players, but lets be honest, whilst we all wanted a big name FA or 2 I would say we still have one o the worst rosters in the NFL outside QB and our receivers!! There's a lot of gaps to be filled still!!

I could sleep easier if the money were right. Some decent hole-fillers. But Cherilus received a $10m signing bonus, and Walden is guaranteed $4.

Grigson may be better when broke. He's behaved like a kid in a candy-shop, throwing money at the guys he wanted, who are worth maybe half what he's paying.

Landry pictured at Colts facility, please sign him!!

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    Landry pictured at Colts facility, please sign him!!
    That would be a huge signing. Had my eye on Elam in the draft, but this would mean we can get an elite lineman.

Advertisement