Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Presumed DHB was going to the Lions! I've a feeling he could be a slightly bigger version of Donnie Avery - plenty of speed but drops a lot of passes!

Still wouldn't be surprised if we pick up a WR in the 1st round though!

Pick 7 (206): Lavon Brazil - WR

Games: 14
    Receptions: 11
    Yards: 186
    TD's: 1
    Y/reception: 16.9
    Kick returns: 5
    Returns Yards: 62
    Y/Return: 12.4
    Fumbles: 1

The pick:
    We needed WR depth so this pick made sense! A low round guy with some potential! Only thing is the Pats picked up Alfonso Dennard shortly after - though we took Justin Anderson in between who didn't make the roster! He has good speed and decent size!

Production:
    Limited enough on limited chances to play (even though he played in 14 games). This was a developmental pick so one can't be disappointed with his numbers at all!

High Point:
    His TD against the Lions that set up the comeback! Showed good speed in outrunning the Lions secondary!

Low point:
    None really but he's probably a bit disappointed not to get more receptions during the year!

Needs to work on:
    Nothing in particular I can think of! From what the local writers are saying the team are hoping that he can become a bigger part of the offence this season! Currently it looks like it will be between himself and DHB for the number 3 receiver spot! I think if he shows consistency he could get close to beating DHB out for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Still think we will draft a receiver, but we will definitely trade down.

Other players:

Round: 5: Josh Chapman - NT
    Came in injured and spent the season on IR pretty much! Looks like he'll be ready for camp this year! I know I've been beating a drum about Chapman but when/if he does get some playing time don't expect fireworks! Most of what he'll do will go unnoticed but he should free up space for others to make plays!

Round 6: Tim Fugger - LB
    nice name! Was cut before the start of the season and is with the Cardinals now I think!

Round 7: Justin Anderson - OG
    Was cut an then signed to the practice squad! Don't really know a lot about him but if he couldn't get a look in with the O-Line we had last year then it doesn't bode well for him! Don't know much about him though so I could be ring a bit harsh!

Round 7: Chandler Hanish - QB
    Cut and signed to the practice squad! Showed in preseason last year that he can throw the ball but he'll be third choice again this year! Hassleback's signings may help him in the long run though, as he's not ready to start now!

Udrafted: Griff Whalen - WR
    I watched the preseason games again and he looked very good it has to be said (albeit against 2nd/3rd stringers!). I think he may have made the roster had he not gotten injured! He's our only true slot receiver so I'm looking forward to see how he gets on in training camp! Also I can't believe he went undrafted! Slot receivers really don't get much love in the NFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Now that DHB is in the bag does that mean you do not go WR in 1st round?

I've the honour of picking for you guys at #24. I'm thinking there will be some decent LBs around there. I see lots of you wanting to trade down. I can't do that I'm afraid so what say you at #24?

• Advertisement

Pass rusher is the glaring need now! Think Jones, Mingo, Werner, Datone Jones, Carrafine or at a push Moore! Depending on who's available although I doubt Moore!

Have a look at some WR's too (cough...Hopkins...cough)!

And if your feeling really out there Jonathon Cyprien!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Pass rusher is the glaring need now! Think Jones, Mingo, Werner, Datone Jones, Carrafine or at a push Moore! Depending on who's available although I doubt Moore!

Have a look at some WR's too (cough...Hopkins...cough)!

And if your feeling really out there Jonathon Cyprien!

That is who I have my eye on!!!.

This thread is too quiet for my liking :pac: I like the signing of McNary, nothing flashy but think he could make it as a fine backup. I still think a receiver is a need, as well as OLB, SS, CB and G. Here are some quotes from in my opinion the best WR in the draft.

The Colts have a great quarterback. That would be a good situation,’’ Hopkins said. “And it would be an ideal situation to have a guy like Reggie Wayne, an older receiver and veteran of the game, show me the ropes.

“I could help out the team as well. That would be a great situation.”

Overall I still want to trade back into the second and pickup a WR, a Guard and pass rushing OLB with our second and two third round picks. Then build depth a CB and S in later rounds and maybe ILB and we are good to go!

Raf32 wrote: »
    This thread is too quiet for my liking :pac: I like the signing of McNary, nothing flashy but think he could make it as a fine backup. I still think a receiver is a need, as well as OLB, SS, CB and G. Here are some quotes from in my opinion the best WR in the draft.

The Colts have a great quarterback. That would be a good situation,’’ Hopkins said. “And it would be an ideal situation to have a guy like Reggie Wayne, an older receiver and veteran of the game, show me the ropes.

“I could help out the team as well. That would be a great situation.”

Overall I still want to trade back into the second and pickup a WR, a Guard and pass rushing OLB with our second and two third round picks. Then build depth a CB and S in later rounds and maybe ILB and we are good to go!

Yeah Hopkins is my favourite receiver too!! He's an absolute beast and his acceleration after the catch is phenomenal! I'd be very happy to take him at 24!

A guy in the third round we could have a look at is Chase Thomas! He looks a bit like Clay Matthews (I've seen a few draft commentators compare him to Matthews too) albeit without the speed and strength of Matthews! Uses his hands to beat blocks rather that elite speed or strength! He may not be a starter but I think he could be a great backup up or rotation type player!

We've had Jarvis Jones and Millner in for visits over the last week so they may be looking at trading up too!

Any of yas follow Robert Mathis on twitter? He's having a bit of fun with Aaron Nagler off Bleacher Report for rating him so low in his OLB rankings!

• Advertisement

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130423/SPORTS03/304230089/Colts-TE-Dwayne-Allen-remembers-2012-draft-costing-him-1-million
    Dwayne Allen on last years draft! Fair play to him on his honesty! Played really well last year too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well we got our pass rusher, and I'm happy with it, think it's a very good pick and a player that can still be moulded to suit a defense. No doubt the European, and especially German, fan base will increase now which is great to see!

With the 24th pick the Indianapolis Colts select....
    BIvuBx3CEAMnVJr.jpg

Pass rush was our number one need and we addressed it! Werner was expected to go much higher! From what I'm reading a lot I people really like it and others don't!

Grison and Pagano were delighted but that's to be expected!! Need to get watching some highlights on him now!

I really like the pick and that defence is taking shape now. Add depth at ILB, CB and S in the later rounds and its set!

One things for sure, we won't be getting next or near Barret jones now! I still like the idea of Chase Thomas in the 3rd and move him to ILB and then a runnig back like Stepfan Taylor or Spencer Ware further on down!

One things for sure, we won't be getting next or near Barret jones now! I still like the idea of Chase Thomas in the 3rd and move him to ILB and then a runnig back like Stepfan Taylor or Spencer Ware further on down!

Would love Taylor, line needs to be addressed though!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pepperfoot

yeah he turned out to be not so great of a player :|

What does everyone think of the draft? I wasn't happy at first but the more and more I look at it, the more happy I am with it. I think we are one more good year of FA and Draft away from being able to win a Superbowl, but a much stronger team than last year, especially in the trenches.

What does everyone think of the draft? I wasn't happy at first but the more and more I look at it, the more happy I am with it. I think we are one more good year of FA and Draft away from being able to win a Superbowl, but a much stronger team than last year, especially in the trenches.
    Missed all of yesterday so only getting to have a look now! Other than Werner the only two names I recognised straight away were Holmes, hughes and Boyett! That's not saying much mind you!

Missed all of yesterday so only getting to have a look now! Other than Werner the only two names I recognised straight away were Holmes, hughes and Boyett! That's not saying much mind you!

Ya i was the same but did a little bit of research on them and feel good about it. All that was missing was a CB, but the one they signed as a UDFA looks promising!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Disappointed we didn't pick up a receiver or a CB, but after the first 5 rounds I'm not sure what value was there anyway. I'm delighted otherwise: the Oline is now stacked. Luck will have much better protection.
    OLB was our biggest need, we got a great player there IMO. We got a solid NT. badly needed, and support at Safety.

If our receivers and DBs can stay healthy, we have a very solid team, with few holes. Delighted.

davyjose wrote: »
    Disappointed we didn't pick up a receiver or a CB, but after the first 5 rounds I'm not sure what value was there anyway. I'm delighted otherwise: the Oline is now stacked. Luck will have much better protection.
    OLB was our biggest need, we got a great player there IMO. We got a solid NT. badly needed, and support at Safety.

If our receivers and DBs can stay healthy, we have a very solid team, with few holes. Delighted.

I get the feeling we mightn't be done in FA either, seem to be stacked at NT and C, so might see a release or two.

davyjose wrote: »

What do you think of Boyette??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

How do you all think the colts stack up in the division now? I thought the jags had a better draft than the titans and colts but are still bottom of the division.

Very impressed with what the jags did and picking up Matt Scott as an UDFA could be very important! They're still (depending on Scott) a QB and pass rusher away from being a force, but it's much better than what they did last year!

I'm still looking at what the Colts did although I will say that initial thoughts are it was a solid rather than spectacular draft! Lots of players who could get some significant game time! Obviously that's a big could!

What do you think of Boyette??

Very good pickup for the 6th round. If he stays healthy, could be Bethea's eventual replacement. Missed almost all of the season, which is why we got him at such good value.

How do you all think the colts stack up in the division now? I thought the jags had a better draft than the titans and colts but are still bottom of the division.

We've completely rebuilt the Oline, which I'm delighted about. We've filled the biggest hole in our team -- another quality pass rusher. I'm pleased. Definitely feel we've taken a step forward. A solid draft, as Taidgh said.

Bills announced that the team has traded LB Kelvin Sheppard to the Indianapolis Colts for LB Jerry Hughes.
    Great trade for us, Sheppard is fast, good in coverage and very durable. One more CB for depth and this defense is set!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Bills announced that the team has traded LB Kelvin Sheppard to the Indianapolis Colts for LB Jerry Hughes.
    Great trade for us, Sheppard is fast, good in coverage and very durable. One more CB for depth and this defense is set!

Player for Player trade is odd! Would it be fair to say it's a Bust for Bust trade? Maybe the Bills think they can coach up on Hughes' college record. I wouldn't be overly thrilled with getting Shep though. He struggled with a pretty vanilla playbook last year, always seemed very slow and usually took bad angles. Hopefully a move away from Buffalo will be the break he needs though.

• Advertisement

Hughes was never coming back after this year so getting a bit of cover at ILB is handy considering the amount of time Angerer and Connell missed last year!

There's very little of the Polian era left now! Grigson and pagano have been pretty ruthless so far! I just hope they're as ruthless when one of their draft picks or big free agents doesn't pan out (and that will happen!!)! As much success as the Polians brought to the Colts there were players that got a few years more with the Colts than they should have! Hard to admit your own mistakes though, I guess!

Advertisement