Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

A4KiJ2cCIAEPP7H.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

kmart6 wrote: »
    A4KiJ2cCIAEPP7H.jpg
    Nice touch Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Simple game plan for Sunday - whatever side Matthews is on run Luck the opposite way!!!
    On a serious note though I'm not sure why they don't move Luck out of the pocket a bit more! He's accurate on the run and with his athleticism he can easily make 5 or 6 yards on the ground in an open field!!

Absolutely buzzing after that game. We've got a special football player in Andrew Luck. I'm still shocked at that comeback tbh. Aside from the first game, him and Wayne have kept us competitive all the way through. We could easily be 0-4 and but for one moment of poor D, we would be 3-1.

Luck is averaging 302 yards per game, which would translate to 4,832 yards. To put that in perspective, Peyton's highest yardage in a season is 4,700. That is Nucking Futs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Delighted with that performance today. Great job all around but especially Wayne and Luck.

Looking at remaining games I'm hopeful of a good few more wins before the end of the season.

@ Jets, v Browns, @ Titans, v Dolphins, @ Jaguars, @ Patriots, v Bills, @ Lions, v Titans, @ Texans, @ Chiefs, v Texans.

McG wrote: »
    Delighted with that performance today. Great job all around but especially Wayne and Luck.

Looking at remaining games I'm hopeful of a good few more wins before the end of the season.

@ Jets, v Browns, @ Titans, v Dolphins, @ Jaguars, @ Patriots, v Bills, @ Lions, v Titans, @ Texans, @ Chiefs, v Texans.

Could pick up a winning season out of that, if we play anywhere near the standard we played in the 2nd half today.

Just looking at the highlights again on NFL.com. I'm not sure what the criteria for a strong arm are, because Andrew luck had a cannon on some of the plays there today.

Reggie Wayne wore orange gloves today, instead of Pink. For Leukemia. Fair play...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Tamoreit

Fantastic win today against the Packers. I honestly didn't expect the Colts to win, especially after being 21-3 down at half time. Still though, it was a great turn around!

davyjose wrote: »
    Could pick up a winning season out of that, if we play anywhere near the standard we played in the 2nd half today.

Just looking at the highlights again on NFL.com. I'm not sure what the criteria for a strong arm are, because Andrew luck had a cannon on some of the plays there today.

The Texans could be resting a good few of their starters by the time we meet them this season which could give us a great chance of picking up a win against them.

Luck had a good game but at the same time was very fortunate not to be picked off on a few different occasions.
    He's looking every bit like the player we hoped he'd be though and now I'm just hoping Reggie can continue playing at that level for another year or two.

• Advertisement

Along with luck and Wayne, it has to be said the o-line had their best half of football so far this year in the second half, and eventually we got some pressure on an opposition QB!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Watched the first and last quarters on game pass in between the Barcelona-Madrid game, the one thing I would say about it is that there didn't look to be anything lucky about the win, was fully deserved. Green Bay are going to struggle to make the playoffs this season though, so hopefully the Colts don't read too much into the win though, and really try to build on it.

You'd like to think it wasn't a case of raising their game in one herculean effort for Pagano and then going back to making horrible sloppy mistakes again next week.

Anyone know when Angerer and Davis will be back? Starting to believe this D might be half decent if we see those guys anywhere near their best soon. Can't see the Jets do too much damage if those boys are on board.

D2Q4M.jpg

Anyone know when Angerer and Davis will be back? Starting to believe this D might be half decent if we see those guys anywhere near their best soon. Can't see the Jets do too much damage if those boys are on board.
    Angerer didn't practice today! No timeframe on when he'll be back!

Donald Browne had knee surgery and is out for 3-4 games! Ballard to start, with Carter as backup with Moore i presume!

Mathis didn't practice today! Freeney is going to be limited for the week but hope both will be ok for the weekend! Freeneys restriction jut to keep him fresh seemingly....?? Strange!!

No word on Davis!

Also chapman will be on the practice field in three or four weeks!! They'll assess him then and decide whether he gets any playing time this year!! My uneducated guess is that he won't play this year!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Angerer didn't practice today! No timeframe on when he'll be back!

Donald Browne had knee surgery and is out for 3-4 games! Ballard to start, with Carter as backup with Moore i presume!

Mathis didn't practice today! Freeney is going to be limited for the week but hope both will be ok for the weekend! Freeneys restriction jut to keep him fresh seemingly....?? Strange!!

No word on Davis!

Also chapman will be on the practice field in three or four weeks!! They'll assess him then and decide whether he gets any playing time this year!! My uneducated guess is that he won't play this year!
    Brown will be missed. He's starting to prove he can run if he gets a few blocks.

I'm not too worried about Mathis. Can't imagine he won't start against the Jets on Sunday.

Sooner we get a few of those guys back on D, the better.

Totally forgot the Colts were in town this week and have to work all Sunday!!! Raging!!!!!!!!

Mathis is out for 2/3 weeks!! Huge loss as he's been by far our most productive pass rusher, albeit freeney has missed a few games!

Yea I have to agree withy ya davyjose Browne is a loss! He showed again the weekend that if he's put out in space he can make defenders miss! Also he seems like the kind of player that needs 20 carriers a few weeks in a row to get up to speed - could be a couple of games after he's back from injury before he's back up to full form!

Seen a tweet from chapman yesterday saying he practiced really well yesterday, and felt great! Still think its unlikely well see him this year!

I watched a rerun of the packers game on nfl network last night!! It showed redding on the sideline on a few occasions! The guy seems a bit crackers, but also a good motivator/leader!! Has been probably the best FA addition of the year for us!

we may need to rely on the Jets putting forth another inept offensive showing this weekend looking at how badly our defence has been hit with injuries.

I still fancy Luck to outscore Sanchez/Tebow though... and hopefully our special teams can hold their own.

That's bad news about Mathis. Hopefully Freeney can step in at 100% and get to the qb. He had a lovely stop against the run last weekend too. More of that.

Kmart? Dude? Sickday in order.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't manage to get away with it, as they all have an idea of where I was instead of being in bed!

http://www.indystar.com/article/20121011/SPORTS03/210120313/On-off-field-right-attitude-has-driven-Colts-Cory-Redding-success?odyssey=tab%7Ctopne&nclick_check=1

Link to a story on redding! It's done by phil Richards so there's a lot of fanfaring in it (I that even a word) but he does seem like a good guy!! He's fast becoming a vital part of our defence!

That D today was a disgrace. A lot of guys missing, but it showed and showed badly. Luck needs to improve in the Red Zone, and target Reggie more. Last week showed what can happen when you put the ball in the general vicinity of Wayne's hands. But the pick wasn't really his fault, and pinning 40+ passes a game on a Rookie 5 games into his career is borderline irresponsible tbh. This is because we have almost no running game, and when brown is out, there's no "almost" about it, running game == 0. Brown was badly missed today.

Most of all we need Angerer back IMO. He's our only guy who can make tackles on the RB, and shipping 150+ yards to Greene and MJD underlines the desperation of the situation.

That D today was a disgrace. A lot of guys missing, but it showed and showed badly. Luck needs to improve in the Red Zone, and target Reggie more. Last week showed what can happen when you put the ball in the general vicinity of Wayne's hands. But the pick wasn't really his fault, and pinning 40+ passes a game on a Rookie 5 games into his career is borderline irresponsible tbh. This is because we have almost no running game, and when brown is out, there's no "almost" about it, running game == 0. Brown was badly missed today.

Most of all we need Angerer back IMO. He's our only guy who can make tackles on the RB, and shipping 150+ yards to Greene and MJD underlines the desperation of the situation.
    Yeah run defence was non existent! And run game was similarly non existent! Really it all just spiralled out of control from there!!

Lucks pick in the red zone was poor! (His 1st pick was a bit unlucky, but the throw was a bit high)! I think if we had of gotten the TD on the second drive when he overthrew Fleener it could have been a different game! Would have been interesting to see the jets confidence if they had of went 7-0 down, especially after their first drive!

Positives: fleener I thought had his best game so far!

I agree that a rookie QB (even if he is Luck) throwing the ball 40+ times along with a poor run game and porous defence is not a recipe for success, however I wasn't really buying all the talk of a wildcard place this year, after the packers game! We are woefully thin on the ground an yesterday shows that a few injuries to key players and were in serious trouble! I suppose in some ways putting all this pressure on Luck will be beneficial to his development in years to come, even if we do have a lot of ups and downs this year!

Colts have released Mr. Irrelevant. http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/10/17/3516128/colts-roster-moves-release-2012s-mr-irrelevant-chandler-harnish

Always a little bit sad to see. I've always wondered why it's regarded as such a stigma, when hundreds of players go undrafted each year, and some even make the hall of fame.

My take on the game yesterday!
    Negatives:
    • the game itself was poor! Both teams aren't up to much
    • we were terrible on 3rd down defence!! I'm not sure whether it was just poor play or whether we were so determined to stop the run that we got caught out on a few 3rd and longs!
    • after the first two drives we were awful offensively!! Thank god Ballard made the CB miss on that 2nd (or 3rd it could of be) down on the last drive, or we could have been in serious ****!
    • Luck was mediocre enough! I think he was taking no chances this week though! Any time he missed he missed by a lot! I hope the (team) gameplan was to err on the side of caution and give up no turnovers rather than Luck himself getting overly cautious! You have to take chances as a QB! In a close game like this it's ok to be cautious but when we play the better teams (lions, texans X 2 & Pats) he'll have to take risks if we are to have any chance!
    • our pass rush is completely non existant! Freeney isn't fit! He doesn't even look remotely close to being fit! Jerry Hughes is a strange one! He looks to be so close on so many plays to getting to the QB....yet never does! I'm not sure whether he's just unlucky or is really not up to this level! I have a fear it's the latter!! We need Mathis (fit) back ASAP!!

There's loads more negatives I'd say but I think I've blocked them from my head!!

Positives:
    • run game and run defence! We actually did both! Well ok not stellar numbers, and we did give up a lot of 3rd and long pass plays for first downs, but both were a marked improvement on the last day! Ballard was good, lowered his shoulder and got a couple of first downs and also the big play (he really should have stayed in bounds though) at the end! Carter wasn't great!
    • I thought fleener was better again! Ok not stellar numbers but he looked faster this week, his hands looked much safer and he picked up a couple of nice 1st downs! Allen again looked good! Has been as good if not Breyer than fleener so far IMO! I can't understand though why we come out throwing to the two tight ends early in the game and then leave them in blocking from the middle of the second quarter onwards! We are becoming predictable then as Reggie is our only underneath threat!
    • pat angerer is back! And made a couple of nice plays and big hits! He really is our best hope of stopping the run as things stand! I would love to pick up Teo in the draft and team him and angerer up! Would e a serious duo!!
    • finnally we are 3-3 on the season! We were 0-6 this time last year, with absolutely no idea of what we were at! As sometimes limited as the gameplan/coaching has been at least there's a pattern there and a blueprint going forward! We have 3 starters from last years offence (Wayne, costanzo 2nd yr player & linkenbach)! Of the 8 new faces 4 are rookies and the rest journeymen!! The defence is almost completely new look too on both personnel and strategy!

Finally chuck was released from hospital the weekend! Great news for him an his family!!!

Te'o will be a top 5 pick. He'd be a savage pick up but we might not fall low enough to get him. Then again, after the last 2 games, we might lol.

Having Angerer back seems to have made a big difference. I missed portions of the game but we kept Richardson down to 8 yards. Not bad. Wheeden threw all over us though, and was the best Rookie on the field yesterday. I still think Luck is the best long term Rookie in the league right now, I think 5 years from now he'll be a superstar, but he's well down on RG3 right now, who looks to be having the greatest season by a Rookie QB ever, by a huge margin.

Pass D is a shambles. A shambles. Our corners are playing well below their ability and we're not seeing anything from the safeties. Our line looks pretty good, but our secondary (Pagano's specialty, ironically) is poor. Hopefully they can improve.

Don't have much time, but I'm in better form today, a win is a win, but there was a lot of negatives in that game. We need to improve. Luck needs to be more efficient. He's insanely good, when he's good, but he needs more completions. Sub 60% won't cut it in this league.

Yeah our secondary is shocking! However in fairness I don't think some of the play calling helped! We looked like we were playing the run on some of the 3rd and longs! I wouldn't be Weedens biggest fan, but if you give the guy time in the pocket and 1 on 1 coverage with receivers running downfield then he can make plays, throwing the ball in front of the receivers! We should have been dropping 7 and forcing him to throw into tight windows! The only time I remember him having to do that we would have had an interception If powers and bethea hadn't ran into one another!

I'm not concerned with Luck at all! Yes He needs to improve on his accuracy definitely, and his decision making has been off on some of the interceptions he's thrown! His second last week against the Jets being a prime example! Should never have thrown that! Again I don't thing the play calling has helped! I've said it before (and I'm sure ill say it again!!) but we need to move him out of the pocket much more! The guy has serious athleticism and he can gain yards with his legs, which will open up space for receivers later on! I think RG3 is a prime example of a QB been used effectively! He also hasn't been helped by the defence!! I can remember 3 turnovers this year so far! 1 was freemans interception which he took back for a td, another was the Rodgers interception, which he got a td off, and the last was the fumble by Ponder and I think he got a td off that too! There may have been a couple of other turnovers but not many more! A few more turnovers with shorter fields could increase his td numbers quickly!

On getting Teo in the draft I don't think it might be too unlikely!! We still have a lot o tough games left (5 division games, pats and lions), so as pessimistic as it may sound we will be doing well to finish with 6 or 7 wins! That I'm guessing would put us into the 8-10 range for a pick! If you look at the teams likely to finish in and around us (jags, titans, raiders, rams, bills, bengals, chiefs, dolphins - I'm sure a couple of those will finish higher and a few more lower!) they all could have more pressing needs! There'll be at least 2 QBs taken! Rams and dolphins will both go with WR's I think! Bengals may go WR too depending on what the WR class is looking like by then! I agree with davyjose that if teams go by best available then Teo won't last past 5, and IMO could be a top 3 pick! But we all know how the NFL love pass rushers so Jones, Mingo and Monthomery could conceivably go ahead of Teo! There's also the NT from Utah (I haven't seen him yry but he's supposed to be awesome and is getting mocked very high!!) and he could go higher! That might mean he could fall to 8 or further! Of course we could always picking higher!! This year is going to be a rollercoaster!

Good post Taidgh, the more I think about it, I can't see him fall past the Browns, or indeed anyone without a pressing QB need. So we could be looking at trading up, which I would love, because I'm sick of us settling for second rate players in vital positions.
    Speaking of which, a running back would be second on my Christmas list, someone like Oregon's Kenjon Barner, who looks like a very explosive every-down back. But maybe we should focus on the D, lol.
    Either way we will see how the season pans out. I obviously wanna see us do well. But a good draft would be a good consolation.

• Advertisement

Haha I'd say we'll be going defence in the first round!! Don't forget we don't have a secon round pick now either!! IMO I think Teo is the best defensive player I've seen this year in college football along with maybe Clowney who isn't gonna be draft eligible until next year! It is hard to him fall far and also I think the titans probably wouldn't pass on him! I think the thing now is that Grigson isn't afraid to make trades and move up in drafts to get the guy he wants!

On Barner how high do you think he'll go? I know you said he's better than Lamichael James but they do strike me as somewhat similar players, although Barner definitely has more power! James fell to the 3rd didn't he? I think if they do look at another running back (which I can't see them doing) it may be for more of a bigger power back!

The other thing is well have $32 million on free cap space, MJD anyone?

Advertisement