Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Id agree that centre and OLB are our biggest needs and think we need to fix them both in the first two rounds. Would love to pick up Noah Spence at 18 if he falls as he will be the only top pass rusher left on the board at that stage. Failing that I wouldnt mind picking up Billings as I'm not 100% sold on Parry as a starter yet. If both are gone, Id like to trade down and increase on our poor total of 6 picks and pick up Kelly at the end of the first. Anyone staying up for it Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Id agree that centre and OLB are our biggest needs and think we need to fix them both in the first two rounds. Would love to pick up Noah Spence at 18 if he falls as he will be the only top pass rusher left on the board at that stage. Failing that I wouldnt mind picking up Billings as I'm not 100% sold on Parry as a starter yet. If both are gone, Id like to trade down and increase on our poor total of 6 picks and pick up Kelly at the end of the first. Anyone staying up for it Thursday?

I like the idea of picking Billings as he is a very good at getting interior pressure on the qb, that would help our pass rush if we cant get a quality olb in round 1, there are some decent players like Calhoun or Correa that might be there in round 2. Parry is ok at NT he is more of a backup I think, he did solid against the run, but tired as the season went on and doesnt command double teams.

The reality is we cant get all our needs fixed with just the 6 picks. Center is the one position for me, just has to be fixed, Harrison is hopeless. If we can get a good center and guard as well as a quality playmaker on defense that would be a decent result all things considered. I wouldnt mind even chancing a 4th or 5th on Jaylon Smith, as were not SB contenders for 2017 anyway.

I think I will stay up but I always get anxious coming up to our pick as I dont have much faith in our GM :-)

letowski wrote: »
    I like the idea of picking Billings as he is a very good at getting interior pressure on the qb, that would help our pass rush if we cant get a quality olb in round 1, there are some decent players like Calhoun or Correa that might be there in round 2. Parry is ok at NT he is more of a backup I think, he did solid against the run, but tired as the season went on and doesnt command double teams.

The reality is we cant get all our needs fixed with just the 6 picks. Center is the one position for me, just has to be fixed, Harrison is hopeless. If we can get a good center and guard as well as a quality playmaker on defense that would be a decent result all things considered. I wouldnt mind even chancing a 4th or 5th on Jaylon Smith, as were not SB contenders for 2017 anyway.

I think I will stay up but I always get anxious coming up to our pick as I dont have much faith in our GM :-)

I agree 100% with you about C. Its a massive need and we really cant risk Lucks health after last season. I think a top centre could make all the difference and would be ok with picking up a G like Louis Vasquez later on in free agency. I would like an ILB bu have faith in Irving and Moore and even like what we saw from the two rookies in pre season last year. I know what you mean about Grigaon, Ill be in some mood in work the next day after waiting up for us to pick a WR/TE/RB :pac:

Bit sleepy but although we reached to take Kelly i think im ok with it. Center was such a weak position for us and we took the best in the draft. Its a safe one from Grigson overall.

Love the look of our OL now. Think we could do with depth a TE, WR and RB but they can be all got late on or in UDFA.

Shame about our D. It looks very poor with us still needing starters at NT and OLB with depth also at OLB and ILB. Looks like there are no decent pass rushers left so might have to wait or other teams cuts.

• Advertisement

Just caight up with our picks today, fairly happy enough with most of them

LaRaven Clark is my favourite out of the 6 for me, love this one. The guy has great size and atheletism, not to mention 36" arm length, crazy. I think we have to get him in there day 1, and develop him as our long term RT, even if he has to play at RG for the start. Like the Joe Haeg pick too, he has good size aswell, so Id be hopeful Joe Philbin can develop these 2 guys well, and Kelly too. I think day 1, we will start AC, Mewhort, Kelly, Clark, Goode. Like Mewhort, Kelly, Clark interior, compared to bloody Louis, Holmes/Harrison and Herremans is a massive upgrade.

Expectly defense suffers and it will again be a huge worry. I didnt like the Green pick, but maybe its not so bad as he is a brilliant athelete that might give us a DB that can cover TEs which is something were poor at. But id prefer a day 1 starter with our 2nd. The Ridgeway pick is good, proper phyical NT, so we will hopefully be fine there with himself Parry and Mcgill, 3 young players. I dont like the Morrison pick though, we need a ILB who is good in coverage not another thumper. I would have prefered Brothers here.

In hindsight, with us inactive in the FA, we were never going to address all our needs, and the pass rush will be bad again next year. We have a poor lb core. I could see why Grigs traded back in the 2nd, all the good pass rushers were gone. Hopefully we can get someone maybe in the FA. Overall Im satisfied with us address our biggest weakness on the oline.

Just caight up with our picks today, fairly happy enough with most of them

LaRaven Clark is my favourite out of the 6 for me, love this one. The guy has great size and atheletism, not to mention 36" arm length, crazy. I think we have to get him in there day 1, and develop him as our long term RT, even if he has to play at RG for the start. Like the Joe Haeg pick too, he has good size aswell, so Id be hopeful Joe Philbin can develop these 2 guys well, and Kelly too. I think day 1, we will start AC, Mewhort, Kelly, Clark, Goode. Like Mewhort, Kelly, Clark interior, compared to bloody Louis, Holmes/Harrison and Herremans is a massive upgrade.

Expectly defense suffers and it will again be a huge worry. I didnt like the Green pick, but maybe its not so bad as he is a brilliant athelete that might give us a DB that can cover TEs which is something were poor at. But id prefer a day 1 starter with our 2nd. The Ridgeway pick is good, proper phyical NT, so we will hopefully be fine there with himself Parry and Mcgill, 3 young players. I dont like the Morrison pick though, we need a ILB who is good in coverage not another thumper. I would have prefered Brothers here.

In hindsight, with us inactive in the FA, we were never going to address all our needs, and the pass rush will be bad again next year. We have a poor lb core. I could see why Grigs traded back in the 2nd, all the good pass rushers were gone. Hopefully we can get someone maybe in the FA. Overall Im satisfied with us address our biggest weakness on the oline.

After watching a bit of tape and reading some reports on all the players, I'm really happy with this draft. I really live Moore and Irving for ILB but hopefully we could pick a Mike Adamseque ILB late on this year after cuts.

OL is solid and easily becomes one of our strongest areas. Not too unhappy Grigson didnt go with the OLB that were available to him each time as they werent worth the pick. I think we should definitely draft one here though with one of these last two picks even for depth purposes.

OL is solid and easily becomes one of our strongest areas. Not too unhappy Grigson didnt go with the OLB that were available to him each time as they werent worth the pick. I think we should definitely draft one here though with one of these last two picks even for depth purposes.

Fully agree we only have Walden, Mathos and Cole, but your right, nearly all the pass rushers vanished in the early second.

I'm very excited about what Luck and Gore can do behind the oline. Maybe things might turnout well, what killed our defense was turnovers by the offense, so Luck and the boys should be able to stay on the field. Hilton Moncrief and Dorsett can be a lethal trio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Happy with that draft! would have liked to get a WR and/or RB late on but not to be! I know some wanted a pass rusher but apart from Lawson at 18 there weren't really that many options when we picked! Plus I'd take Kelly over Lawson to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Went to the fan forum in London tonight.

Luck was as good as expected but Dwayne Allen was amazing. Razor sharp and very funny.

• Advertisement

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Went to the fan forum in London tonight.

Luck was as good as expected but Dwayne Allen was amazing. Razor sharp and very funny.

That's cool, I'd love to have gone! I'm seriously looking forward going to the Wembley game against the Jags.

Luck is like the most ultra articulate speaker in interviews, he never would say something controversial, but he is a very modest person. He even owns an online book club!

I love Dwayne though, I follow him on twitter and does a serious amount of charity work, and was up for the Walter Payton award this year. He is a cool guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Allen and Luck seem like very likable guys.

Luck always come across as a really humble fella. No airs or graces about him despite that huge monster contract extension.

The IndyStar is a Twitter account I happen to follow and he seems to do a lot of community/charity work in Indianapolis.

Very likable faces on that team but we need some absolute lunatic who'll step over their own mother to protect #12 ;)

Would love to go over for the game in Wembley but I figure I'll leave off seeing them in Lucas Oil. Moving to Toronto in a couple of years time and it's only 90 mins away on a flight.

Now we play the waiting game....

That_Guy wrote: »
    Allen and Luck seem like very likable guys.

Luck always come across as a really humble fella. No airs or graces about him despite that huge monster contract extension.

The IndyStar is a Twitter account I happen to follow and he seems to do a lot of community/charity work in Indianapolis.

Very likable faces on that team but we need some absolute lunatic who'll step over their own mother to protect #12 ;)

Would love to go over for the game in Wembley but I figure I'll leave off seeing them in Lucas Oil. Moving to Toronto in a couple of years time and it's only 90 mins away on a flight.

Now we play the waiting game....

I've never been to LOS but it looks stunning, a real modern stadium. It has a bit of character, like a big barnhouse with the glazed openings at the sides and trusses running over the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭claresmurf

Can't wait for the season to start. I think if Andrew Luck stays healthy we can win the Afc South, although the division is getting better and if Brock plays well I can see the Texans winning the division again. Fleener is a bit of a loss but Dwanye Allen will have to step up. Defense is still poor but with a healthy Luck we can outscore most teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

AFC South is wide open, but I don't fancy our chances. Really hope Kelly works out at center. As obvious as it is to say, protecting Luck this year is paramount. He got lucky with injuries up until last year.

I still can't believe we are heading into the season with Pags/Grigson. I expect our first losing record of the Luck era. :mad:

AFC South is wide open, but I don't fancy our chances. Really hope Kelly works out at center. As obvious as it is to say, protecting Luck this year is paramount. He got lucky with injuries up until last year.

I still can't believe we are heading into the season with Pags/Grigson. I expect our first losing record of the Luck era. :mad:

The Jags and texans have better players than the colts but it might not matter if Luck gets back to form, like you said protecting him is paramount. It's all about how Andrew Luck can carry this team, cause he won't be getting help from our defense. He's the only reason I support the colts tbh. When I first starting watching NFL he was drafted and I said they would be a good team to support over the next few years.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

claresmurf wrote: »
    The Jags and texans have better players than the colts but it might not matter if Luck gets back to form, like you said protecting him is paramount. It's all about how Andrew Luck can carry this team, cause he won't be getting help from our defense. He's the only reason I support the colts tbh. When I first starting watching NFL he was drafted and I said they would be a good team to support over the next few years.:)

I support them for the same reason. He has pretty much carried us each season apart from last too, never forget the play-off victory over the Chiefs.

I think the Titans might win it this year and if anything happens to Luck early it's possible we get first pick next year >_>

I support them for the same reason. He has pretty much carried us each season apart from last too, never forget the play-off victory over the Chiefs.

I think the Titans might win it this year and if anything happens to Luck early it's possible we get first pick next year >_>

I think the Titans are still rebuilding a bit, that being said it's wide open and I like the signing of Murray. He could make Mariota dangerous from a read option. Add to that delanie Walker who I'm a big fan of. Although I do think the Jags and texans are ahead of them but they are defo getting better. This year is a year too soon I would imagine.

Its hard to judge how we will do this year, Heath Miller was as usual unoptimistic on Total Access. The thing about our division is that the Jags and Texans are still only rebuilding, the Texans have a new QB/RB combo that will take a bit of time to get settled while the Jags are going a have a new look D. We have one of the easiest schudules so if we can start well theses a good chance we will win the group.

Looking at the team its basically two sides of a coin for me. Im excited about our offense next year if injuries go well. We got in a few highly rated offensive linemen rookies that should at least improve Luck protection somewhat. Gore aside, our offense is quite young and under Chud we should start going in the right direction. Moncrief is one player im hugely excited about. I bet he will get close to 1000 yrds. Bit we do have so good weapons.

Defense isnt where it should be at all, and Grigson takes full responsiblity imo. In 2014/15 where we got to the AFCCG, our roster was going in the right direction. We had huge holes in the front 7 that wasnt addressed in that offseason and that set us back massively. We should have looked to get in a good Defensive lineman or an OLB early in the draft, but Grigs took a WR and CB, which was completely daft. Werner being a bust has also hurt. Our defense is ageing now and doesnt have many playmakers. I think its going to take a while to reconstruct this defense, we need players like Moore, Irving, Geathers, Ridgeway, Green, Smith to make the breakthrough.

I do feel we will be in the shape up in the end, a 9-7 season could well win the division.

Its hard to judge how we will do this year, Heath Miller was as usual unoptimistic on Total Access. The thing about our division is that the Jags and Texans are still only rebuilding, the Texans have a new QB/RB combo that will take a bit of time to get settled while the Jags are going a have a new look D. We have one of the easiest schudules so if we can start well theses a good chance we will win the group.

Looking at the team its basically two sides of a coin for me. Im excited about our offense next year if injuries go well. We got in a few highly rated offensive linemen rookies that should at least improve Luck protection somewhat. Gore aside, our offense is quite young and under Chud we should start going in the right direction. Moncrief is one player im hugely excited about. I bet he will get close to 1000 yrds. Bit we do have so good weapons.

Defense isnt where it should be at all, and Grigson takes full responsiblity imo. In 2014/15 where we got to the AFCCG, our roster was going in the right direction. We had huge holes in the front 7 that wasnt addressed in that offseason and that set us back massively. We should have looked to get in a good Defensive lineman or an OLB early in the draft, but Grigs took a WR and CB, which was completely daft. Werner being a bust has also hurt. Our defense is ageing now and doesnt have many playmakers. I think its going to take a while to reconstruct this defense, we need players like Moore, Irving, Geathers, Ridgeway, Green, Smith to make the breakthrough.

I do feel we will be in the shape up in the end, a 9-7 season could well win the division.

The Texans and jags have done very well in free agency, man for man they are better than us in most positions. But we have the better qb which is very important. I'm gonna miss fleener I think he will be very good in new orleans, Drew loves hitting his tight end. Texans I think have a top 5 defense, along with a top 5 receiver who did very well last year considering who was throwing to him. Add to that Lamar Miller who is quite a good running back foster was too injury prone. I think the colts can do well, Andy will carry us once again. Jags drafted well and got Malik Jackson and they have a brilliant offense. I like the addition of Chris ivory a very good power running back. Both teams will defo be a big challenge we wont have it as easy as we did in the past. I like moncrief and ty hilton, they should both have good years. It might take time for the new signings to click but if they do right away we could in trouble.

• Advertisement

I can't really comment on the players we've brought in to help protect Luck this year so until I see some pre/regular season action for the first few weeks I can't judge too much.

However, our D line is still the same shíte as it has been for the last number of years.

Ryan Grigson's failure to bring in significant players to stop the run is going to kill us again... and again...

When I heard Irsay was retaining his services I was dismayed. He should have been the first one out the door before any playing staff.

Pagano isn't without his faults either but his job isn't being made any easier with the sub par players we have.

I still think we're pretty decent in the AFC South all things considered. It's when we're asked to go against the big boys where we have and will continue to struggle.

Going into this season with nothing more than blind optimism.

Yeah were going to struggle alot on defense this year. I think we just have to start this season and build from what we have. Vontae is the only real top quality player on our roster. Anderson played very well last season, if Geathers and one of Moore/Irving can become good quality starters too that would be huge. Im hoping Ridgeway can be an upgrade over Parry. Adams, Mathis, Langford, DQJ and Walden are ok but in their 30s now and will need to be replaced in the next two years. Its the recruitment of replacements for these players that could well decide whether we have more mediocre years or not. That is why I was hoping for a new GM, I dont have huge confidence in Grigson, but we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nothrowaway

That_Guy wrote: »
    I still think we're pretty decent in the AFC South all things considered. It's when we're asked to go against the big boys where we have and will continue to struggle.

You mean like Carolina and Denver?

Anyone know of any UK channels showing the HOF game?

Would have been sure that BT ESPN would have had it but alas they're showing baseball instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Tamoreit

It's just been announced on the NFL site that we've signed Antonio Cromartie on a one year deal. We need cover at CB I suppose with Davis being injured. Hopefully he'll work well out for us.

Tamoreit wrote:
    It's just been announced on the NFL site that we've signed Antonio Cromartie on a one year deal. We need cover at CB I suppose with Davis being injured. Hopefully he'll work well out for us.

He cant be any worse than Toler last season :-)

Our two starting corners are injured so I can see why he was brought in. Hopefully Vontae's injury is not serious, he is hugely important to us, I'd say arguably our next most important player after Luck. I think its a pity Djoun Smith has not made the breakthrough yet too.

Watching the philly game here, some really worrying signs. I know we suck on defense, but it looks like we will be almost completely reliant on Mathis to bring the pass rush, theres no rookies putting their hand up. And keeping Cole for another season was stupid, even for a pay cut, the guy is done.
    Its a little fightening right now, taking all the cb injuries we have too, we look really screwed on pass plays against opposing offenses.

Watching the philly game here, some really worrying signs. I know we suck on defense, but it looks like we will be almost completely reliant on Mathis to bring the pass rush, theres no rookies putting their hand up. And keeping Cole for another season was stupid, even for a pay cut, the guy is done.
    Its a little fightening right now, taking all the cb injuries we have too, we look really screwed on pass plays against opposing offenses.

Hard to be excited for this season with Pagano and Grigson still in charge. Mewhorts injury is terrible news, the line will probably be useless again this year. No pass rush again with the only help from last year being a 7th round pick.

Hard to be excited for this season with Pagano and Grigson still in charge. Mewhorts injury is terrible news, the line will probably be useless again this year. No pass rush again with the only help from last year being a 7th round pick.

Yeah it's so deflating isn't it. I thought our oline with a new coach and center would be at least some bit better this year, which tbf isn't much to be asking for, as the line was absolutely hopeless last year. But yet were not finished preseason and it's still a mess. We've got injuries at LG and RT, and our next two back ups, Haeg and Thornton are also injured. AC is still continuing on from last year being way off form at LT. Watching Pagano talking to the media, he looks clueless what to do now.

Terrible week, losing Mewhort and Davis was a disaster.

• Advertisement

Ya having seen the highlights of the eagles game, I'm worried. I can't get over how bad we were on defense. Receivers getting too much space. I think the Jags and texans are gonna be better than us this year.

Advertisement