Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

We must be the weakest team in the NFL. A team that resembles Ryan Grigson in all his form.

We'll do absolutely nothing until he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Great to see Luck back in action but very disappointing to see that our defence is every bit as bad as many of us had feared.

Luck was fantastic but that's not going to matter unless the D improve quickly.

I'm a little afraid though of next week at Broncos after seeing the abuse they gave Cam on Thursday. Maybe #12 should sit that one out :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭claresmurf

McG wrote: »
    Great to see Luck back in action but very disappointing to see that our defence is every bit as bad as many of us had feared.

Luck was fantastic but that's not going to matter unless the D improve quickly.

I'm a little afraid though of next week at Broncos after seeing the abuse they gave Cam on Thursday. Maybe #12 should sit that one out :-p

Luck was brilliant last night so good to see. We need to start stronger we didn't get going until late in the second quarter. The amount of injuries we have on defense is worrying especially in the secondary. The tackling on the last drive by the Lions was particularly bad by us. Andy is going to have to carry us, get ready for high scoring games all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

claresmurf wrote:
    Luck was brilliant last night so good to see. We need to start stronger we didn't get going until late in the second quarter. The amount of injuries we have on defense is worrying especially in the secondary. The tackling on the last drive by the Lions was particularly bad by us. Andy is going to have to carry us, get ready for high scoring games all year.

Yeah, like the way the offense is going with Luck and these recievers, they looked good. Unfortunately though, I think other coaches are going to realise Gore is slowing up a good bit, and defenses will focus on their backfield.

The defense though is a bloody mess, particurly at the lb position. The Lions just killed us with Ebron and their running back duo recieving out of the backfield because our LBers are mostly too old or slow, or both. If the injuries clear up and the backfield and Anderson comes back that will help, but the lack of playermakers means I think we will struggle to get stops on 3rd downs.

letowski wrote: »
    Yeah, like the way the offense is going with Luck and these recievers, they looked good. Unfortunately though, I think other coaches are going to realise Gore is slowing up a good bit, and defenses will focus on their backfield.

The defense though is a bloody mess, particurly at the lb position. The Lions just killed us with Ebron and their running back duo recieving out of the backfield because our LBers are mostly too old or slow, or both. If the injuries clear up and the backfield and Anderson comes back that will help, but the lack of playermakers means I think we will struggle to get stops on 3rd downs.

I love our receivers, they are so fast and the deep ball is on a lot. I liked the one where dorsett beat slay over the top. Ya i agree we had a massive problem stopping their running backs. We couldn't stop riddick he did well running and receiving.

• Advertisement

I think we will struggle to get stops on 3rd downs.

I saw a tweet last night that made me laugh. It went something along the lines of:

"If there was no such thing as 3rd downs, our defence would be the greatest in the league"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Can't defend the run
    Can't defend the pass
    Long season ahead

Bateman wrote: »
    Can't defend the run
    Can't defend the pass
    Long season ahead

For all of these problems, I'm just glad we're not the Rams. Silver linings and all that.

Nervous enough about our trip to Denver on Sunday. Last week Luck and his recievers nearly won the game by themselves but its completely different this week against the leagues best defense. Shannon Sharpe was saying during the week that Andrew will basically have to throw around 350yrds again per game for us to win, which is obviously unrealistic against Denver. I think if the line can somehow hold we can hit a good score as Luck and Hilton have played well in the past v Denver.

But the biggest worry will be the defense paticularly, trying to stop CJ Anderson. We were pathetic against the run last week. We really need the defense to step up but to be honest, its just so bad this year. I think the Broncos will win by about 10.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/1/14/14273420/report-jon-gruden-turns-down-colts-job-despite-interest-from-jim-irsay-indianapolis-colts

Embarrassing from Jim Irsay. Apparently reports say Gruden would not want to work with Ryan Grigson as GM, which is totally reasonable as he is a terrible GM. Can't believe Irsay would stand over Grigson, and whats worst, he has completely undermined Chuck Pagano, if he lets him stay as HC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

It's a mess. I'm not convinced Gruden would be any use at this point but the way this has been handled has been a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Some really poor picks there. Werner is probably the worst in terms of the fact he was a number 1 pick. But his strategy is awful. Like he shouldnt have chosen an edge rusher in 2013 as the season previous Mathis got 19.5 sacks, there was no need. In 2015 he should not have waited to the 5th round to get a starting NT, we were crying out for one after we were embarrassed by Blount in the 2015 AFCCG. Also not one inside linebacker taken before the 6th round, its no wonder it's a huge weakness in our team. Our defense sucks so bad, and the blame lies squarely with our GM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Our defense sucks so bad, and the blame lies squarely with our GM.

Suffer through another year of Grigson and maybe Peyton will be ready to take on the role next year is the hope for Colts fans I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Captain Peanuts McDrummie

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000777187/article/colts-firing-general-manager-ryan-grigson

Grigson has been fired as GM. He should have been gone last year IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

:):):):):):):):):):)

Pagano is worse though. Hopefully he is gone soon too.

I'd say Andrew's impending shoulder surgery was the final straw. I mean after last season, that was probably the one directive Grigson had and he failed, like he has in almost every area of the roster. I mean take away Luck and TY and the kickers, and it's an awful roster.

I'd say Andrew's impending shoulder surgery was the final straw. I mean after last season, that was probably the one directive Grigson had and he failed, like he has in almost every area of the roster. I mean take away Luck and TY and the kickers, and it's an awful roster.

True, it's a miracle Luck hasn't suffered a career ending injury with the amount of hits he's taken. Putting a decent OL in front of him should have been a priority with Grigson, especially after the injuries he suffered.

Pagano isn't perfect either, some of his play calling has been questionable at best. It'll be interesting to see if the new GM wants to keep him.

True, it's a miracle Luck hasn't suffered a career ending injury with the amount of hits he's taken. Putting a decent OL in front of him should have been a priority with Grigson, especially after the injuries he suffered.

Pagano isn't perfect either, some of his play calling has been questionable at best. It'll be interesting to see if the new GM wants to keep him.

Is it Peyton I wonder? Rapoport is suggesting Jimmy Raye, as he basically does a similar job for the Colts, but Raye would represent a lateral move for me. I'd like to get Peyton involved, get rid of Pagano and get Gruden to work with Peyton. There's a press conference in an hour.

Is it Peyton I wonder? Rapoport is suggesting Jimmy Raye, as he basically does a similar job for the Colts, but Raye would represent a lateral move for me. I'd like to get Peyton involved, get rid of Pagano and get Gruden to work with Peyton. There's a press conference in an hour.

I would love to have Peyton involved in some fashion with the team, although he might not be all that interested in a coaching role:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/27/peyton-manning-coaching-comments-tennessee

Maybe he would be interested in another front office role if coaching isn't what he's looking for. I would like to see him as GM, I think he would be a much better judge of talent than what we've had the last number of years. The press conference should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Pat McAfee not hiding his opinion re: Grigson:

Follow
    Pat McAfee ✔ @PatMcAfeeShow
    Thank God
    8:24 PM - 21 Jan 2017
    4,406 4,406 Retweets 7,322 7,322 likes

Follow
    "Unwarranted Arrogance" just ran into a brick wall called karma.
    8:29 PM - 21 Jan 2017
    2,755 2,755 Retweets 4,860 4,860 likes

Follow
    "All Pro punter" please and thank you.. also someone who has seen your best friend treat humans absolutely horrendously for 5 years https://twitter.com/dandakich/status/822905510370349058
    8:39 PM - 21 Jan 2017
    1,667 1,667 Retweets 4,079 4,079 likes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

From listening to this, its going to be Raye and Pagano for next year which is disappointing.

From listening to this, its going to be Raye and Pagano for next year which is disappointing.

Yep no improvement with this.

Paga-noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Even before last season, it was clear that the big $100 million asset was Luck and they did nothing to protect him.

Could you imagine giving someone a job to keep a Securicor truck safe with $100 million in it, and people are opening the doors and cracking the windshield and ****? And then the truck owner is like "how about a 4-year contract extension"? Are you kidding me?

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Pat-McAfee-Announces-Surprise-Retirement/132c3692-5703-4422-a14d-e613f548604f

Pat McAfee has announced his retirement from the NFL. I really didn't see that one coming! It's such a shame to see him retire, but with the amount of knee surgeries he's had over the past number of years I can see why he did it. He's a massive loss for us, gonna be hard to replace him.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Pat-McAfee-Announces-Surprise-Retirement/132c3692-5703-4422-a14d-e613f548604f

Pat McAfee has announced his retirement from the NFL. I really didn't see that one coming! It's such a shame to see him retire, but with the amount of knee surgeries he's had over the past number of years I can see why he did it. He's a massive loss for us, gonna be hard to replace him.

Going to miss Pat, best punter in the league and he's a really funny guy. He was hilarious in the top 100 videos, I'm shocked.

Hey guys, how do fans see next Thursday going for us?

For me, it has to be defense in at least 2 of the first 3 rounds, if not all of them. I've been pleased with Ballard's moves so far. I think he has found a long term solution at NT, which has been a blatant weakness for us for years, and strengthened the depth of the squad. I'm kinda happy he hasn't forked out millions for a starter Jags style, he is looking to build through the draft.

I think looking at the roster, the most clearly obvious weaknesses lie at CB and ILB, among a number of other holes. I think Ballard has to have at least one CB to play opposite Vontae, but in reality for me, he needs two CB's, another one who can play in the slot. There's loads of talent at CB in this draft. Therefore, I think Gareon Conley will be our pick at 15 if I had to guess, but I would love to trade back a couple of picks and get something like an extra third.

There's a couple of players I like in the draft, probably Sidney Jones is my favorite. I know he will be injured for half the season but I think he is special. An ideal Thursday would be to trade down a few spots and take Reddick and an extra third. The following round take Sidney Jones then. In the third round, maybe get another CB like Jourdan Lewis who can play in the slot and then a pass rusher or RB. Bucky Hodges TE, is another big favourite of mine, who should be available in the 4th.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I think we need another LB!!!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    I think we need another LB!!!

I think there's an even chance now Reuben Foster could be there at the 15th pick, though I'm not sure would I select him.

Advertisement