Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Christian McAfffrey woukd be exciting but not a pragmatic pick. Still some room to take best player left after what's seems a solid free agency

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Deco99 wrote: »
    Christian McAfffrey woukd be exciting but not a pragmatic pick. Still some room to take best player left after what's seems a solid free agency

Yeah McCaffrey would actually be a good fit in our zone blocking scheme. But with the issues we have on defense I think were better off looking at that first. There's going to be alot of good running backs in the draft next year, a couple of good ones in this years CFB decided to not to declare. I think it's all about trying to add playmakers on D, we need talent on that side of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭claresmurf

I really thought we were going to take Foster at 15, was really disappointed when we didn't. But I didn't know much about Hooker and having seen a few clips of him he is a playmaker. I suppose we needed to replace Mike Adams.

claresmurf wrote:
    I really thought we were going to take Foster at 15, was really disappointed when we didn't. But I didn't know much about Hooker and having seen a few clips of him he is a playmaker. I suppose we needed to replace Mike Adams.

Yeah Im quite happy with the pick, I think he was the best player on the Colts' board. He has elite ball skills, athleticism and instincts to be a great FS. He needs to work on tackling though. Would have liked if we took Foster also. I think were going to have to wait a year for the ILB group to be fully addressed as there's a limited number of quality ILBs in the draft left, maybe only Cunningham. Anzalone might be good. I think a corner gets taken tonight, Im hoping one of Lamp/Robinson unlikely fall to us!

I think Chris Ballard is doing a really good job as GM. Really like the two draft picks so far, our secondary is looking very good, we have a lot of solid players for the rest of the defense but no real stand outs. I still think we need a big name run stopping line backer and pass rushers.

• Advertisement

So our draft:

1st round, 15th overall: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
    2nd round, 46th overall: Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida
    3rd round, 80th overall: Tarell Basham, EDGE, Ohio
    4th round, 137th overall: Zach Banner, OT, USC
    4th round, 143rd overall: Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida
    4th round, 144th overall: Grover Stewart, DT, Albany State
    5th round, 158th overall: Nate Hairston, CB, Temple
    5th round, 161st overall: Anthony Walker, LB, Northwestern

I'm happy with it. I think the Hooker and Wilson picks were good ones. I think our backfield now has been certainly upgraded a few levels. We have two excellent safeties for our future in Hooker and Geathers now. Vontae and Wilson on the outside and probably Butler in the slot makes a pretty good backfield! One thing about Wilson and Hooker I like is they are only 20 and 21, so huge room for development.

I don't know much about Basham, but he looks a big athletic player so hopefully he can rotate with Sheard and both bring some pass rush. Walker and Mack are my other favourites, I think we will see them getting quite a few snaps and I think they will definitely contribute, I think Walker will start actually. The others look more like projects but I think they have good upside as they have good size.

Overall though I love the off season work by Ballard. I accept he was never going to fix everything, but players like Hankins, Simon, Sheard, Wilson and Hooker are significant upgrades on what we had there before, meaning our defense should be alot better. There's still loads of work still to be done but were moving in the right direction I think, and also Ballard has improved competition and age profile of the roster. That's positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Captain Peanuts McDrummie

Overall, I'm pretty happy with that draft. I think a lot of holes have been addressed between free agency and the draft. Hopefully we'll see a big improvement this season.

I reckon we will do well. I think the other teams in the division are getting stronger, Texans are looking very strong I would be worried about them with a healthy JJ. Indianapolis is going to be a NO FLY ZONE next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Joe Mixon

Y'all got a good safety in Malik Hooker. If the can stay fit, he can be a real asset in the Colts defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Best draft in a while. It's not going to be a quick fix but this off season has been quite positive in terms of recruitment.

Good timing too because the rest of the division look pretty strong going into the season.

We're certainly making the right moves but I think Pagano is on his last legs and has been for quite some time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 decolts

Hey all - new to boards and I see the colts thread hasn't been too active! There many colts fans around Ireland!?!

Just wanting to hear all your thoughts on the head coach debacle! Thoughts on draft and who we should be targetting..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

Loving Ballard for his press conference yesterday.
    100% agree, if he's not all in, then i'm glad he's not taking over. For all stuff we had to move on from Pagano, I never thought for a second he wasn't committed to the team.

Hopefully the team will be stronger and well coached next year and that the rivalry IS back on. :-)

Yeah big time lovin Ballard after that press conference - delighted he didnt try to persuade McDaniels to change his - he said from the start of the search he would only want someone who was 'all in' and he really stuck to that!

We can still get a good head coach in, hopefully sooner rather than later and with a good draft, and a healthy Luck there is no reason we can't be competing next season.

Yeah, from what I heard as well, when Josh said he wasn't joining, Ballard didn't even bother to wait for reasons, just said grand and moved on.
    Was nice to hear the agent dumped McDaniel's as well. A man's word is all he has.

Frank Reich sounds like he'd be a good get. Super bowl winner with the Eagles and was already with the Colts previously, so knows the place.

I'm a bit worried about Luck. I know everything's going ok, but until we see him throwing and he says he has no pain, I'll still be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

decolts wrote: »
    Yeah big time lovin Ballard after that press conference - delighted he didnt try to persuade McDaniels to change his - he said from the start of the search he would only want someone who was 'all in' and he really stuck to that!

We can still get a good head coach in, hopefully sooner rather than later and with a good draft, and a healthy Luck there is no reason we can't be competing next season.

A weak defence, no coach in place and a glass QB.........excuse the pun but we need more than Luck !

Add to that the Jags and Titans improvements and we are in danger of being left behind big time !

Whoever is offered the job now will know they weren't the first option, that does't help the search. BUT that was a great press conference and does give fans some sort of hope for the future.

But lots of high picks this year too. So some good players can be brought in - hopefully some offensive line guys can help Luck.
    The interviews are already being lined up, so there'll be a head coach soon.

Teams are always changing, but the Jags still have Bortles, so everyone still has a chance against them. :-)

This is a fresh job search. I think Ballard said he's moved on from everyone he interviewed the first time, so I don't know about not being first choice. Being stuck with the few coaches already brought in for McDaniel's might be more of an issue.

This is the off-season, there should be nothing but hope at this time. And even the browns should be dreaming of lifting the superbowl next year. That's what I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Loving Ballard for his press conference yesterday.
    100% agree, if he's not all in, then i'm glad he's not taking over. For all stuff we had to move on from Pagano, I never thought for a second he wasn't committed to the team.

Hopefully the team will be stronger and well coached next year and that the rivalry IS back on. :-)

Is there a video anywhere of it? or is the 2.36 video here (https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/02/07/colts-press-conference-live-updates/314995002/) the full extent of it?

Is there a video anywhere of it? or is the 2.36 video here ( the full extent of it?

There's a video on the colts website - i'd post the link but it won't let me for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There's a video on the colts website - i'd post the link but it won't let me for some reason!

I'll find it. Cheers dude.

I think it's very likely next year will be a 'transition' year for the colts - we shouldn't be expecting a superbowl or AFC championship but I do think it will be a year full of positives all going well.

With some good draft picks, on both Offence and Defence, it will bring us along, a developing secondary (barring anymore injuries), some good moves in Free Agency, and we'll be in for a good year. I even think Brissett (if needed) will be able to bring us forward - with last season under him, & a full pre-season he will be a much different player to the season gone by.

And after Ballard's press conference yesterday - if that doesn't get you excited for next season I dont know what would! He seriously inspired confidence yesterday.. I was in such a bad mood after hearing about McDaniel's, then after hearing Ballard speak that changed so quick! He will get the right man to bring the Colts forward!

• Advertisement

Hey all - new to boards and I see the colts thread hasn't been too active! There many colts fans around Ireland!?!

Just wanting to hear all your thoughts on the head coach debacle! Thoughts on draft and who we should be targetting..

Hi decolts, welcome! There is a couple of Colts around here, I guess we haven't had much to chat about these last few months. On some of the points raised:

Yeah, the McDaniels situation was a big disappointment, for two reasons for me. The first, obviously were not in a good situation in February still looking for a coach with the combine not far away. There is a very limited number of HC competent coaches out there. The second is, like Colin Cowherd said in his podcast, a McDaniels/Luck combination could have been very exciting going forward. He is a top offensive guru and could have tailored an offense that could have maximized Luck's talents. Alas, he didnt want to sign with us, so that's it really.

Ballard did a good presser and looked unfazed but he is under pressure now. His first year is over now and its this year we need to see the franchise visibly going forward. The year has started disastrously and he needs to get the HC appointment right. Its so important. Of the three candidates to be interviewed, as someone mentioned, Frank Reich looks the strongest. He didn't call the offense in Philly but he has 20 years experience in the NFL and seems capable. For me if we could get an experienced OC like Darrell Bevel and pair him up with Reich, it could work. I do like the DC appointment in Eberflus, seems like the type of coordinator that suits Ballard's vision in building a defense. Wants to build a defense similar to the Marinelli/Dungy style, 4-3 zone coverage, Tampa 2 scheme, speed in the linebacker core, etc.

With regards to recruitment, this is where most of hope lies. We have $84 million in cap space and a 3rd overall pick. With that sort capital, Ballard should really be looking to bring in 3 quality starters and more solid players. I would hope he hands out two big contracts in the FA (say $11-17mil pa) to get two players that can instantly make an impact. I would be hoping one on defense and one on the offensive line (Andrew Norwell). Also there are alot of FA wide receivers hitting the market and it maybe best we take one of them and let Moncrief go. Wrt draft, it might be an unpopular opinion, but I would draft Chubb over Barkley if given the choice. Barkley is the best player in the draft, but positional value is something that I take into account. An ideal scenario for me is if one of the Jets/Broncos trade up to draft a QB and we get Chubb and a extra 2nd round pick say. In the second and third round I would be looking at offensive line and linebackers, the two weakest position groups on our roster.

I'm hopeful Ballard can turn around this franchise, but its going to take a while. I don't think we a miles off the other teams in the South, we have the best QB when fit. I think if we get a couple of quality players in, a good HC and Luck healthy we should see a big improvement next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I'm worried about luck. He's not even throwing yet and some people think that me might never come back, and if he does, will be ever be the same? Pretty much the whole plan revolves around him being fit, healthy and playing his best. Without him we are pretty much screwed. As much as I like Brissett I don't want to watch another season of him starting every game.

Latest rumor is Reich has agreed terms. I've not heard that he's signed the contract, so it's still only a rumor to me! :-)
    Be nice to get the OC of the winning team instead of the OC from the losing team! :-) Plus, he's an ex-Colt coach.

Latest rumor is Reich has agreed terms. I've not heard that he's signed the contract, so it's still only a rumor to me! :-)
    Be nice to get the OC of the winning team instead of the OC from the losing team! :-) Plus, he's an ex-Colt coach.

Done deal - what are peoples general thoughts on this? Great to get the deal turned around so quick after last weeks mess! General consensus seems to be he'll be a better hire than McDaniels, and just a better guy all round! I know he wasn't the play caller for the Eagles but I wouldn't say that's any kind of negative, he'll def be doing it for the colts anyway! Now to see who he brings in as an OC - see they've already a couple of guys lined up for interviews for this.

Think we have to see the ink on the contract dried first after last week! :-)

Seems like a high character guy - which is something I love to see in coaches, and when Peyton likes him, it's hard not too as well:

Manning said Reich’s playing experience made it easy to connect with him as a coach.

“Frank has got a lot of football knowledge,” Manning said back in 2009. “I really think at this point in my career, being a veteran I like having somebody that has played longer than me, who has actually played the game and knows what is going on.

“He is a tireless worker,” Manning continued. “He is a grinder. He is a guy that is going to be over there late at night. He and I text each other all the time, ‘Hey check out the Buffalo game, play number 40. That is a look we might see.’ I like that. I like a guy that is constantly got football on his mind and thinking about helping me. I am grateful for that kind of effort. I lean on Frank. I ask him a lot of questions and he is very comforting to me.

So all in all, right now, I like the hire. But as always, time will tell.

I like the Frank Reich hire too. I think preferably Chris Ballard wanted a coach from an offense background. Frank has 12 years coaching experienve and is well respected across the league. I think he is the type of guy Irsay likes.
    Anyway i wish him the best. Big offseason coming up for the Colts, $84million cap space and a 3rd overall pick. Hoping for a good injection of talent.

Sure with the DC already in place, hiring a defense sided head coach could've caused major issues.

But it looks like there's an OC in place now - Nick Sirianni. Previously a quarterbacks coach and wide receivers coach who had success with the Chargers.

Seems like no more surgery for Luck's shoulder:

"I feel very, very good about where I am. So that ship has sailed, in my mind, which is also a bit of a relief — I’m not going to lie.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Seems like no more surgery for Luck's shoulder:

"I feel very, very good about where I am. So that ship has sailed, in my mind, which is also a bit of a relief — I’m not going to lie.”

That has been said before - but I hope its accurate - if it is then the Colts are likely to draft Barkley and another QB will drop towards Denver at 1.5

• Advertisement

True, but the reports overnight from Ian Rapoport say he's throwing weighted balls that are heavier than normal footballs.

But until he completes a season with no pain, there's always going to be worry and doubt.

If it is accurate though, I wouldn't mind a trade happening to get more picks. The more talent gotten in the better.

Advertisement