Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭letowski

Great 4th quarter comeback but the 4th down decision near the end of the 1st half was big mistake.

Will Rivers return ?

In my opinion, I think its more likely that we will starting the 2021 season with Rivers than not.

But I'd only have it at about 55/45. There are alot of options out there that Ballard can persue, but whether they are going to be much of an upgrade will be the question. Aswell as that, if we do persue say a 1st round draft pick at QB, or trade for say Sam Darnold, Rivers could still be signed as the starting (bridge) QB.

It's annoying hearing all the Carson Wentz talk, yes on the surface it sounds interesting with our QB need and Reich's connection, but I don't see it happening. And if it were to happen, with that fat contract he is owed, I'd want him and Eagles draft pick(s), not us sending draft capital their way. But over all Wentz is taking on too much risk if a team that wants to be competing for SBs.

The one player that does interest me is Stafford, if the Lions are willing to trade him and start a new chapter with a new HC and QB. But that option may not be even there to begin with.

After that, honestly there aren't a whole lot of feasible options out there to upgrade. Right now, I think we re-sign Rivers, let Brissett walk and draft a QB in the 1st round to take over from Rivers in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

letowski wrote: »
    Right now, I think we re-sign Rivers, let Brissett walk and draft a QB in the 1st round to take over from Rivers in 2022.

This is exactly what they should do IMHO.

Anthony Castonzo retired, half expected. Best of luck to him, a very underrated Colt who had a fine 10 year career in the NFL.

This is a very tricky offseason now for Ballard. Yes we have all our picks and have the 4th in most cap space in the NFL (and that was before AC retired) but there are multiple critical needs for this team. Plus there are going to be a bunch of players up for contract renewal off their rookie deals. I think our resources are kind of limited to be honest.

QB and LT are obviously the big glaring needs now and preferably we'd like to get them sorted for the long term. It just wouldn't be ideal getting another short term fix at QB and end up going 4 different QBs in 4 years. Ballard also has to weight up trading up in the draft to take a QB, possibly spending further draft capitol used to fix other areas. Also, we have important needs on defense too, getting a good edge rusher and more help at corner. And that's also hoping Xavier Rhodes wants to return too.

Feels like were in a bit of a hole, I think Ballard will be doing well to put a better team out next season. I could see us going into transition for a year, getting in rookies to take up some of these roles long term. I always knew the Andrew Luck retirement would really come back to bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 decolts

Big loss but was nearly expected at this stage. Injuries were starting to pile up for him so why not finish on his own terms. Will be a massive loss and now they really will be looking to fill that hole in the draft, moreso than what they were initially planning im sure! Question is now will Nelson move out to tackle and they bring in a guard.. definitely something to be thinking about.
    Interesting to see our left tackle for our last couple of games will go on and play again this weekend in the playoffs, Veldheer - first player to play for two teams in the playoffs in the same season and prob last time it will happen! He did a good job for the colts considering he was retired and coaching a high school team up until he got the call from us!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Kind of funny but also worrying that our biggest and only real needs (QB, LT, Pass rusher and CB) are the most important positions to fill.

• Advertisement

Kind of funny but also worrying that our biggest and only real needs (QB, LT, Pass rusher and CB) are the most important positions to fill.

Yeah it’s a tricky one. I was kind of hope Castanzo would hang on for another year so we could draft a QB with our 1st round pick, but I think now we will probably kick the can down the road for another year and re-sign Rivers. I think we will take a LT in the 1st round next April.

On defence I think Rhodes is a priority re-sign given how Rock played this season, we don’t have much depth. I don’t see a situation where Houston and Autry both re-sign here with the cap space available. Id prefer Autry if I’d have to choose. I think we will draft in the 2nd or 3rd round in these positions or sign a FA.

I don’t think we going to fill all the positional needs, but if we get more solid play from the vets and our rookies go well, we can get back into the playoffs. But the long term outlook at QB position looms large.

Looks like we’re going to be needing a new QB again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Ya confirmed, Rivers has retired.

Ya confirmed, Rivers has retired.

I'm a bit worried about the Colts next year. So many key positions now are vacant. Chris Ballard certainly has his work cut out this spring to fill positions.

In some ways I'm surprised, and other ways I'm not surprised. I didnt think he would make the announcement so soon, and I'm sure the Colts had even said to him they would like him back for another year but that's that! At least this time when we have a retiring QB we can plan for it a bit better than the last time! It's a shame but let the QB hunt begin!

I don't see them going for someone in the draft, I see a trade coming.. I'd like to think they are looking closely at Stafford and far away from Wentz.. and there is no chance of going near Watson! Interesting couple of months ahead!

• Advertisement

decolts wrote: »
    In some ways I'm surprised, and other ways I'm not surprised. I didnt think he would make the announcement so soon, and I'm sure the Colts had even said to him they would like him back for another year but that's that! At least this time when we have a retiring QB we can plan for it a bit better than the last time! It's a shame but let the QB hunt begin!

I don't see them going for someone in the draft, I see a trade coming.. I'd like to think they are looking closely at Stafford and far away from Wentz.. and there is no chance of going near Watson! Interesting couple of months ahead!

I honestly don't have an idea which way they will go. Last season, when Rivers left the Chargers early in the offseason, it was clearly the obvious move for the Colts to make with his connections with Reich. But this offseason, I don't know what direction we go in. For me, the QB position is always the #1 priority, so preferably, I still want to draft our long term franchise QB this year. Then probably sign a veteran back-up to help the rookie (or possibly re-sign Brissett). I don't think Eason is the answer, but we simply don't know what we have with him.

Still after that, we need a left tackle, both our starting defensive ends are out of contract and also our wide receiver and outside cornerback. This is going to be tricky. Probably best we re-sign Hilton, Rhodes and one of Autry or Houston, and go into the FA and draft needing a QB, DE and LT.

I just can't see us drafting a QB in the first round with confidence that the QB in question will be the long term solution. Take away Lawrence and Fields and you might see Mac Jones be there at 21.. A lot of question marks around him.. his receivers and rb's really made him look much better QB than maybe he really is! I think they have to be looking at FA or a trade for a QB and also re-sign Brissett. They've said it themselves that Eason isn't in contention for next year (even as a backup I think) but maybe he could squeeze into the backup position, we let Brissett go and free up some money and go from there!
    You are right on our own FA's - Definitely think Hilton and Rhodes need to stay, their experience alone is massive for the team - both real leaders in there. I think they will keep Houston and let Autry go.. definitely a lot of work for Ballard and Co in the coming months tho!

How do y'all feel about the Carson Wentz trade?

I have to admit, I had mixed feelings over it. Initially, I don't like that ultimately we won't have a 1st round pick next year. I feel like we overpaid for him a bit.

I think however, when we look at the other options that we had at QB, I think Wentz represented the most rational option. I think sure, ideally you'd love to trade up and get a franchise QB for the long term, but it just isn't feasible picking at 21 in the draft. And there are not other QBs on the market that can give us even average QB play.

While I accept that Wentz was arguably the worst QB last year, I think we can get him to a mid tier level QB. I think when you look at his career, its been 3 average, one terrible and one elite season so I think is reasonable to think we can get him playing mid-tier QB football. Especially as Reich knows Wentz well and we have a solid roster.

I think overall, I've gotten to a stage where I'm OK with the trade. Also keeping the 1 this year is huge given we need to draft a tackle (and its a good tackle class this year). I guess we will see next September how good Wentz is and how we did with this trade.

He probably wouldn't have been my 1st or 2nd choice.. Stafford was my first, and I think I maybe would've risked Darnold as my next choice - there was no way they were going to get a future franchise QB this year in the draft without losing a lot of picks and Ballard would not be the kind of guy to do that!

Now that it has happened I'm going to try and be as positive as possible about it! It is great we still have our first rounder this year and that will very likely be our new LT.. and maybe we will even trade to a later 1st round pick, get the same guy and get some more draft picks for later.. High probability of that one happening I would say! If we give up a 1st rounder next year for Wentz I think I can accept that if we have a good run this season, get to the playoffs, and it would possibly be a high 1st round pick anyway so might not make a big difference. And if he isnt working out by the half way point of the season then it might be time to start reducing his snap count and giving whoever the backup is a chance..

If our OL can protect Wentz, that should help reduce the injuries and I think Reich might be the man to get his confidence back then we might just see a good Carson Wentz this season.. maybe not near the level he was at a few years ago but an improvement maybe on Rivers which would might be a big ask but he should be capable of it!

I am glad the QB situation has been sorted though, now they can focus fully on FA, and the draft and they have a much clearer picture of their cap space.. maybe a couple of big spends in FA? And maybe Hilton will go.. let's see!

He probably wouldn't have been my 1st or 2nd choice.. Stafford was my first, and I think I maybe would've risked Darnold as my next choice - there was no way they were going to get a future franchise QB this year in the draft without losing a lot of picks and Ballard would not be the kind of guy to do that!

Now that it has happened I'm going to try and be as positive as possible about it! It is great we still have our first rounder this year and that will very likely be our new LT.. and maybe we will even trade to a later 1st round pick, get the same guy and get some more draft picks for later.. High probability of that one happening I would say! If we give up a 1st rounder next year for Wentz I think I can accept that if we have a good run this season, get to the playoffs, and it would possibly be a high 1st round pick anyway so might not make a big difference. And if he isnt working out by the half way point of the season then it might be time to start reducing his snap count and giving whoever the backup is a chance..

If our OL can protect Wentz, that should help reduce the injuries and I think Reich might be the man to get his confidence back then we might just see a good Carson Wentz this season.. maybe not near the level he was at a few years ago but an improvement maybe on Rivers which would might be a big ask but he should be capable of it!

I am glad the QB situation has been sorted though, now they can focus fully on FA, and the draft and they have a much clearer picture of their cap space.. maybe a couple of big spends in FA? And maybe Hilton will go.. let's see!

Yeah I'm glad that all the QB chatter is over. I like following all things COlts on social media, but the overload of QB talk was driving me up the walls. lol

Looking at cap space, its about $49m so still quite solid. It may go up as the NFL haven't agreed on a final figure, but it will be at least $180m so that $49m is the minimum. I don't expect us to use up all that $49m million because we have some big contracts next year from the 2017 draft class.

I'd say we will probably make 1 good signing, maybe pass rusher I'd say. Then re-sign TY, Rhodes, Autry, Pascal, Cox, Odum, Muhammad, maybe one or two others. Draft LT and corner. Would be nice to add some receiving weapons for Wentz, we night be able to get him a got TE or WR, but we've good bigger needs at DE, LT and CB imo.

I'd say we will probably make 1 good signing, maybe pass rusher I'd say. Then re-sign TY, Rhodes, Autry, Pascal, Cox, Odum, Muhammad, maybe one or two others. Draft LT and corner. Would be nice to add some receiving weapons for Wentz, we night be able to get him a got TE or WR, but we've good bigger needs at DE, LT and CB imo.

I agree - there will be one big FA signing.. depends on where they go with TY i think - if they re-sign him then they might go big on a pass rusher.. if he doesnt re-sign then they need to get a WR1 thru FA and there will be plenty there to choose from.. It sounds like Rhodes might be looking for 10m for next year so not sure they will be going with him again.. a similar FA signing for a veteran CB, along with drafting for that position. Be interested to see if they go back to the eagles and look at Ertz..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I agree - there will be one big FA signing.. depends on where they go with TY i think - if they re-sign him then they might go big on a pass rusher.. if he doesnt re-sign then they need to get a WR1 thru FA and there will be plenty there to choose from.. It sounds like Rhodes might be looking for 10m for next year so not sure they will be going with him again.. a similar FA signing for a veteran CB, along with drafting for that position. Be interested to see if they go back to the eagles and look at Ertz..

I think resigning TY is a must.

I'm glad the QB saga is over early and they can focus on the rest of the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭claresmurf

Stafford would have been my first choice aswell, but I am happy with Wentz I think he will be an upgrade over Rivers. If anyone can fix him it will be Reich. Rivers cost us a few games last year and I feel Carsons ability to move around in the pocket will be a massive help.

We need to get him some targets, Allen Robinson would be a great pick up and I think we should re-sign TY. Pittmann looked good towards the end of the year. Drafting a good LT will be important aswell.

Defense was great last year but we could do with 1 or 2 more stars, even though he is coming off an injury I would love to sign Bud Depree.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Simonko

I think if we can keep Wentz healthy he can do well for us. If we can get a replacement at LT for Costanzo he'll have a decent oline in front of him and resign TY, there'll be a few decent weapons for him to work with.

I can see why the conditions were added to next year's draft pick, if he bombs or suffers a serious injury we're only on the hook for the third round pick this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

Simonko wrote: »
    I think if we can keep Wentz healthy he can do well for us. If we can get a replacement at LT for Costanzo he'll have a decent oline in front of him and resign TY, there'll be a few decent weapons for him to work with.

I can see why the conditions were added to next year's draft pick, if he bombs or suffers a serious injury we're only on the hook for the third round pick this year.

I believe if he bombs/injured, the Colts are on the hook for a third this year and a second next.
    If he plays 75% of the snaps or 70% and they reach the playoffs, then it's a third this year and a 1st next.
    So whatever happens it'll either be a 2nd or 1st next year with this years first.

I like Wentz this year more than Rivers last, but Rivers did better than expected, so hopefully Wentz will do better than expected too.
    And if he doesn't, then maybe Eason will get thrown in and we'll see if he has a future at QB.

• Advertisement

Hey all!

So what are all of your expectations from the Colts over the coming days?

My expectations are we won't have a first round pick tonight - there are a few teams that might be looking to move up a few places and I think Ballard won't say no to that! Anything to get more draft picks! I still think we will fulfill all our needs without the 1st rounder. Obviously the 2 main areas are the Edge rusher and Left Tackle - imagine we will see those two be our first picks - outside of that we must be looking at the secondary tho we have done well to hang to what we had in place there last year so will be good to build on that.

Taught I'd throw up an opinion of the draft.

I honestly was OK with the draft. I'd give it a B-. Look, Colts social media is a blaze with the current LT situation and I get those concerns. In an ideal world, we would have taken Paye in combination with a starting calibre LT in the 2nd round. But we don't live in an ideal world, the best LT on the board available in the 2nd round was a late 3rd round talent. I absolutely agreed with the decision not to reach for need. There are still vertern options available in the market, Ballard has spoke about continuing to evaluate the position, so I'm not going to panic over LT for now.

I loved the Kwity Paye pick. Rare athlete and character. Gosh this franchise hasn't drafted a talent like him since Dwight Freeney in nearly two decades. The edge rush really needed an injection of talent, we saw in the Buffalo playoff game, how we failed to get any real pressure on the QB throughtout the entirety of the game. Your not going to make much noise in the playoffs if you can't rush the passer, especially with some of the QBs in the AFC.

That's why I was also OK with going with Dayo Odeyingbo in the 2nd. He also fills a big hole left behind by Autry and has very high upside with his length and size. The injury is a concern but we should get him on the field later this season. Overall, I'm excited to see our young D-line next year. Granson in the 4th is an intriguing athlete and talent. Looks like a playmaker, something we need at TE.

Lets see how the LT situation plays our until September, but I'm feeling OK about the next season. I suppose ultimately the seasonw will depend on how Carson Wentz performs.

At first I was all a bit underwhelmed by our draft this year but having looked more at the guys we have drafted now I can see how we will improve with them. Obviously it was disappointing that we didnt draft a new LT to finish off our O-Line but the draft didn't have too many LT's of the caliber required. My take on this would be we are going (obviously) the veteran route for this season and they might have their eye on a potentially good LT class in next years draft.

I really like that we have focussed on improving the D-Line though as that was just a massive frustration for me, and I'm sure all Colts fans. It was hard watching last year when the QB's were getting so much time in the pocket with little pressure. I really like the look of Paye and feel like he could have an immediate impact for us. Hopefully we get to see some of Odeyingbo and I'm sure in the long term his achilles injury won't be a hindrance to him.

From what I have seen of Granson I think he will be a good TE 3 for us, but I still wouldnt rule us out of going in for Ertz.

As for the new addition to the QB room - Sam Elhinger, he is an intriguing one! I think we might start seeing some interesting plays coming with him in there - I dont think Eason is going to be an automatic first in line backup.. they're going to have a good battle in the offseason.

On a side note I saw a very rare sight at the weekend around Phoenix Park.. someone going around in a Colts hat!

Have any of you watched the last episode of 'with the next pick'? The whole series each year is great, such a great insight and a really top class production to go along with it!

The last episode was so good, love getting to see them making the picks, and making the calls to each of the picks.

Sounds like Reich really likes Granson too.. his phone call was probably the best one too.. Getting pretty excited about this season now!

Here is the link in case you've not seen it:

So 5 picks have signed their contracts - which is good.
    But reports are Sam Ehlinger's brother - Jake - has died. He was a linebacker for Texas.

So 5 picks have signed their contracts - which is good.
    But reports are Sam Ehlinger's brother - Jake - has died. He was a linebacker for Texas.

Very sad news for the Ehlinger family for sure.

Very sad news for the Ehlinger family for sure.

I read their dad died of a heart attack back in 2013 doing a triathlon, so he's just got his mother and a sister.
    But the Colts are doing what they do and looking after him and getting him home asap.

New left tackle onboard.. Eric Fisher - no real surprise that it is only a 1 year deal and hope to get a long term solution in the next draft. All going well it sounds like he should be ready to go by August without any setbacks with his rehab on the achilles.. Not ideal that your new starting LT is coming in with a bad injury but hopefully it won't cause any problems!

New left tackle onboard.. Eric Fisher - no real surprise that it is only a 1 year deal and hope to get a long term solution in the next draft. All going well it sounds like he should be ready to go by August without any setbacks with his rehab on the achilles.. Not ideal that your new starting LT is coming in with a bad injury but hopefully it won't cause any problems!

Just catching up with the news there. Initially I was a bit surprised that it's just a 1 year deal, but the Colts must be confident he is recovering well and will play a significant portion of the season. Having said that, if all goes well and he plays this season, we do have the option to tag him next year for a reasonable price for a starting LT (or get a good comp pick). Ian Rapopport was saying there is a chance he’s not ready to play until early October. it a very serious injury, I'm not sure. We will role with Te'vi for the start of the season either way.

Nonetheless, Eric Fisher is a good starting LT in this league when fit and in form. Probably slightly better than Anthony Castanzo. Hopefully he can come in later this year and give us solid play. An oline of Fisher - Nelson - Kelly - Glowinski - Smith can keep this unit operating at an elite level.

• Advertisement

That signing will round out our off-season. In running through what Ballard has done this off-season, I think we can improve somewhat next season, but I think were still short of challenging for a Super Bowl. There is enough talent on this roster to certainly win the AFC South and possibly get a win in the playoffs. But that would be our ceiling I'd say. Ultimately, pretty much everything will come down to how well Carson Wentz will play.

At the start of the off-season, pretty much all the key positional players of last season were either out of contract and retired. Ballard did the following:

QB: Philip Rivers -> Trade Carson Wentz
    LT: Anthony Castanzo -> Sign Eric Fisher
    WR1: TY Hilton -> Re-sign TY Hilton
    RDE: Justin Houston -> Draft Kwity Paye
    LDE: Denico Autry -> Draft Dayo Odeyingbo
    CB1: Xavier Rhodes -> Re-sign Xavier Rhodes

The moves were mostly lateral, but its still a very young roster so I'd expect improvement on last season. I think there are only 4 guys left on the roster that are over 30, with Rhodes being the only one on defense. If Fisher and Dayo can come into the team later on this year I think we will be very formidable on the fronts on both sides of the ball. My concerns for this team are on the perimeter with our boundary CBs and whether we have enough quality at WR to beat the likes of the Chiefs or Bills in the AFC. And also Wentz off course.

Advertisement