Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Raf32 wrote: »
    o-line, a safety, a CB, a second WR with hilton in the slot and a few more pieces on the D.

Draft for OL, Mike Wallace (Arians connection) and maybe Tracy Porter? Vaughn is not good enough except on return duty, we cut him for a reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Been offline for a few days - watched the game in a bar which turned into a major session. Got back and the net was down.

Very disappointed in the game. All due respect to Baltimore, Flacco found his early season form and Boldin looked like he did in his Warner days. Aside from that I have nothing good to say. We have played some good teams this year and never failed to cross the endzone. A small bit of blame lies with Luck: only that he's TOO brave in the pocket, costing us a possible go ahead score on a fumble which gave them the impetus.
    I only partially blame him though, because that O-line... oh my God that O-line. It was literally like they weren't there at times. On a number of plays it was just a straight sprint to Luck who had seconds to throw it.
    I'm not gutted because although I hoped for a win, we had no chance of beating Peyton. And I'm not sure I was ready to see him beat us. And unlike Polian and his lackeys, Grigson and Chuck now know where to build. The O-line, and a nose tackle, keep Reggie and BA, and were set for another playoff season.

Lads, now our season's over (and a successful one it was) and with $43 million cap space, who can we pick up in the free agency?

I see Jake Long is a Free Agent this year. He's gone off the boil a bit, but with some Chuckstrong motivation, he could be a very nice pick up.

Greg Jennings and Wes Welker are also free agents. Strong possibility neither of those will be retained.

Richard Seymour and Ed Reed might be a shot for a year or two???

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Stay away from Paul Kruger :mad: :pac:

Paully D wrote: »

Would love him, but don't think he'll leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

davyjose wrote: »
    Lads, now our season's over (and a successful one it was) and with $43 million cap space, who can we pick up in the free agency?

I see Jake Long is a Free Agent this year. He's gone off the boil a bit, but with some Chuckstrong motivation, he could be a very nice pick up.

Greg Jennings and Wes Welker are also free agents. Strong possibility neither of those will be retained.

Richard Seymour and Ed Reed might be a shot for a year or two???

Any ideas?
    I'd like Welker!! We don't really have a threat across the middle from a WR (or at least a dependable one)! Would free up reggie to go down the field a bit more too!

Long I'm not so sure on! Didn't see much of him this year but from what I heard he wasn't as good as previous! Plus Castanzo was our best o-line player by a country mile!!

Guy I'd love to see us pick up is Chris Ivory! Don't think he's a free agent but the saints have 4 RBs and he didn't get a look in for the most part so they might release him!

Freeney won't be back and Jerry Hughes was quite enough so well need to pick up an OLB somewhere too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Paully D wrote: »
    Would love him, but don't think he'll leave.

Kruger's agent is looking for 9 million per year. Pass rushers get the $$$

Even with Lewis retiring and maybe Ed Reed that's still too much cap space

Kruger will hit FA this year

Oh well, he spent his first year barely seeing the field and his second season as an ineffectual DE.

Pagano then came in, moved him to OLB and he's been beasting

And now his contract is up, so much time wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Been offline for quite a while. Incredible season all round considering our record from last year. We've not been pretty to watch at times but somehow we got ourselves into the off season.

Definitely need to improve our O-Line but our D trying to defend the run was a horror show. The temptation to give Luck some weapons to play with it is there but strengthening the defence should be priority.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Definitely need to improve our O-Line but our D trying to defend the run was a horror show. The temptation to give Luck some weapons to play with it is there but strengthening the defence should be priority.

I still feel we're rebuilding though (even though I fully expect to have another shot at the playoffs next season), and I just think that O line is thee priority. We are building the team around Luck, we can't afford to hold off on that for another season. I'll be expecting a 10% increase in completions and a 2:1 TD-INT ratio at least. That'll show the right kind of progress. We've got to be fair to kid and let him grow into the elite QB he's destined to be.

We do need to work on the D, but it's not the #1 priority IMO.

Despite my previous post, this could be a great opportunity to get Te'o if he falls far enough. We're crying out for a high-calibre MLB, and no better man than Chuck to judge the character of the kid. Definitely think we'll interview him.

Then... O-line, O-line, O-line :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Was selfishly thinking the same thing last night but didn't want to put a curse on it ha!

Ha ha, it's true though. On the Giants thread they're talking about maybe taking him in the third round (lol). I'm not sure we'd pass him up. Stones throw from his current home too :)

Fcukity fcuk fcuk....
    @RapSheet wrote:
    The final details of the contract for Bruce Arians and #Cardinals are being worked out. Not talking money, I'm told. So it's almost done.

I'm genuinely trying to figure out if I'm on the verge of tears, or it's just my cold. I think it's the tears.

Bollox anyway.

Can't blame him for taking a HC job, but this hurts bad.

He's a fcuking savage addition for their O.

Congratulations to BA on his appointment and I hope he does very well!! NFC west is a very tough division now!

There are two different elements to what BA did for us this year IMO;

1. His leadership when Chuck got sick was phenomenal and we could and probably would have gotten nowhere near the playoffs had he not been there! I've said it before but he has been a father figure to Luck and they seem from the outside to have a very close relationship! From this point of view he will be a huge loss to the Colts!

2. From a purely OC point of view I have been critical (in here) of some of his play calling at times! With our OL as it was he IMO called too many passing plays that took too long to develop, which left Luck as a sitting duck! In fairness Luck was able to absorb a lot of the hits, but he looked too much like Big Ben scrambling around at times, for my liking!!

The real question is will we be able to get someone to replace BA who is as good.....unfortunately I don't think so!

Ok so here's my grading of our rookies this year:

Round 1, Pick 1:
    Andrew Luck
    Stats:
    Att: 627
    Comp: 339
    Yards: 4374
    TD: 28
    INT: 18
    Passer Rating: 76.5
    Rushing TDs: 5
    Fumbles: 10

What can be said about Luck that hasn't already been said! Phenomenal!! If you judge a QB by stats/passer rating (and some do) then there were more impressive QBs this year (rookies included)! However if you have watched the Colts play then you will have seen a QB with probably the worse OL in the NFL, a lack of top quality skill players (bar Reggie) and being asked to take over from the greatest player in the history of the Colts and one of the greats to ever play the game! If I were to list all his positives I'd be here all day, but my favourite is the fact he'll make a bad play or throw a pick and then come straight back in the next series and continue as if it never happened!!
    Needs to work on: reducing the interceptions is important but also ball security needs to be worked on! Sometimes he needs to give up on a play and throw it away or tuck the ball in and give up the sack!
    Worst moment: the pats game! At times in the second and third quarter he looked flapped and confused - the only time I seem that all season!
    Best moment: the game winning drive against the lions! When we got the ball back with less than a minute left I knew we were going to win!! Probably the best drive from a QB I seen all year! That was the first time I truly believed we would get into the playoffs!
    Overall: A - first manning now Luck! Colts must be the luckiest franchise out there!

Ill edit this and include the rest over the next couple of days!

Just so you know you can only edit it for 48 hours after the original post, so you might be better off making a series of separate posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

To be fair both TY Hilton and Ballard impressed as the season wore on; the Colts have a fantastic rookie nucleus on offense - the two rookie tight ends have plenty of potential as well. Bad line but it's overstating it somewhat to say Luck did it without much help.

The Colts just need to develop those players and not let their strides flatline next season and they'll be challenging for the playoffs again.

taidghbaby wrote: »

The real question is will we be able to get someone to replace BA who is as good.....unfortunately I don't think so!

I'm a little bit terrified Clyde Christensen will get the job back. He's a terrible playcaller IMO: too conservative. Say what you want about BA, but his balls-out approach won us a few games we had no right winning.

• Advertisement

I'm a little bit terrified Clyde Christensen will get the job back. He's a terrible playcaller IMO: too conservative. Say what you want about BA, but his balls-out approach won us a few games we had no right winning.
    @ Kmart yeah it would be one ridiculously long post so ill do them separately! Rest should be shorter!

@ syferus - the rookie receivers and Ballard have a great future but how many would have made or played as well on any of the other playoff team! Great future ahead though I agree with ya there

@ davyjose - unfortunately because BA got the last HC job most of the decent OCs out there are gone!

@ davyjose - unfortunately because BA got the last HC job most of the decent OCs out there are gone!

Agreed, but I'd rather take a punt on an unknown TBH.

Edit: Stop the presses... looks like Andrew Luck's old OC at Stanford, Pep Hamilton could be leading candidate for the job. That would be a very interesting move. I'm not necessarily saying it's the right move, but it's bold. Which I like.

Agreed, but I'd rather take a punt on an unknown TBH.

Edit: Stop the presses... looks like Andrew Luck's old OC at Stanford, Pep Hamilton could be leading candidate for the job. That would be a very interesting move. I'm not necessarily saying it's the right move, but it's bold. Which I like.
    Being reported on twitter now he's accepted it! Jim trotter of SI

The more I reflect on it, I think it's a very smart move by Indy. It's clear they're doing everything to develop Andrew Luck as an elite QB, as a priority. This guy ran an offensive scheme in which Fleener shone, also. I'd say he, in particular, is over the moon.

He makes sense out of the names that were being mentioned!

Could be wrong but I presume this will be a lot more short throws! Suit Fleener but not Hilton??

Although I seem to remember Stanford not having any speedsters so it coul be interesting to see how he uses Hilton, Brazill and Avery!

He makes sense out of the names that were being mentioned!

Could be wrong but I presume this will be a lot more short throws! Suit Fleener but not Hilton??

Although I seem to remember Stanford not having any speedsters so it coul be interesting to see how he uses Hilton, Brazill and Avery!

Yup, Luck's completion percentage will skyrocket, but I imagine they'll keep some of the big vertical plays. Could be very interesting alright.

How long's Reggie got left on his contract BTW?

Yup, Luck's completion percentage will skyrocket, but I imagine they'll keep some of the big vertical plays. Could be very interesting alright.

How long's Reggie got left on his contract BTW?
    2 years left which would bring him to 36, so that could be it! Although after seeing the pic of the WRs after a gym seasion floating around last summer he could go on longer - he's ripped!!

Griff Whalen is still on the roster too! Interesting to see how he goes now of he's kept! Not saying he would be, but he could be an answer at slot receiver if collie doesn't come back! Whalen would really be a long shot though from what I've seen!

2 years left which would bring him to 36, so that could be it! Although after seeing the pic of the WRs after a gym seasion floating around last summer he could go on longer - he's ripped!!

Griff Whalen is still on the roster too! Interesting to see how he goes now of he's kept! Not saying he would be, but he could be an answer at slot receiver if collie doesn't come back! Whalen would really be a long shot though from what I've seen!

Collie's history I reckon. Colts might do him a solid and keep him on the practice squad, but his days as a starting NFL receiver are over. Too much wear and tear. A certain HOF slot receiver up on the east coast might be a free agent this year though ;) I expect we'll be looking at a powerful fullback late in the draft now (perhaps even Stanford's own FB).

Cool about Reggie. He's bonded so well with Luck, it'd be nice to see them with another few years together. He'll be a big part of Luck's growth as a player.

By the way, we'll be paying Arians a little visit out in the desert next season. Should be interesting.

Collie's history I reckon. Colts might do him a solid and keep him on the practice squad, but his days as a starting NFL receiver are over. Too much wear and tear. A certain HOF slot receiver up on the east coast might be a free agent this year though ;) I expect we'll be looking at a powerful fullback late in the draft now (perhaps even Stanford's own FB).

Cool about Reggie. He's bonded so well with Luck, it'd be nice to see them with another few years together. He'll be a big part of Luck's growth as a player.

By the way, we'll be paying Arians a little visit out in the desert next season. Should be interesting.
    Oh yeah I really don't expect to see Collie playin again either!!

A HOF receiver from the east....whoever might you be talking of....... ;-)

Mike Wallace will be cut in the off season too! Wouldn't fancy him though I'd say he'll be looking for a big contract! If It came down to him and Welker I'd take Welker every day of the week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Think Wallace would be the better bet there. Welker is far older and would stunt TY Hilton's growth while Wallace can take the top off defences with his speed.

Unlikely the Colts will be making such a big splash at WR this year though.

Advertisement