Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

IMO Hilton and Wallace are very similar players! Hilton stretches the field as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

taidghbaby wrote: »
    IMO Hilton and Wallace are very similar players! Hilton stretches the field as it is!

Size-wise Hilton is only 5''9 so you'l be seeing him doing a lot of slot receiving and quick slants though. Wallace is no Megatron but at 6''0 you'd be alot more comfortable with him in the deep role. Looking at Reggie Wayne's vitals, Wallace is an almost exactly the same weight and height as him.

Wayne is the one getting on and in need of a replacement being found in the coming years, at least for his #1 role. I don't really think it's much of a need for next season, though. Hilton will actually probably challenge Wayne for the #1 production on the team next season based on how many plays he made in the second half of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Confirmed now....
    Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton has accepted the same position with the Indianapolis Colts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

kmart6 wrote: »
    Confirmed now....

Certainly trying to make Luck (and Fleener by extension I guess) comfortable. They really need to stick with him for a few years now no mater what because constant change at OC is a big blow to any QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Syferus wrote: »
    They really need to stick with him for a few years now no mater what because constant change at OC is a big blow to any QB.

Not necessarily a big blow. Depends on who the HC is and what QB coach is there also. If the Offense is the HC system then the OC is merely a puppet and play caller controlled by a HC which is common these days. Add a quality QB coach in there and it works well.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »

Size-wise Hilton is only 5''9 so you'l be seeing him doing a lot of slot receiving and quick slants though. Wallace is no Megatron but at 6''0 you'd be alot more comfortable with him in the deep role. Looking at Reggie Wayne's vitals, Wallace is an almost exactly the same weight and height as him.

Wayne is the one getting on and in need of a replacement being found in the coming years, at least for his #1 role. I don't really think it's much of a need for next season, though. Hilton will actually probably challenge Wayne for the #1 production on the team next season based on how many plays he made in the second half of the season.
    Hilton may not be the big outside receiver but most of his routes are down field! If anything reggie was doing most the short routes and slants this year! Hilton averaged over 17 yards per reception!

Anyway as ya said earlier the Colts have so many holes that its unlikely a big name WR will be signed in FA with the group of receivers we already have!! Doesn't stop me wanting welker though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

TO. wrote: »
    Not necessarily a big blow. Depends on who the HC is and what QB coach is there also. If the Offense is the HC system then the OC is merely a puppet and play caller controlled by a HC which is common these days. Add a quality QB coach in there and it works well.

That's defo how it is with the D -- Pagano calls and designs most of the plays AFAIK.

Christensen's a decent QB coach, I just don't like him as a playcaller. Don't see any reason why this new guy won't stick around unless he's an unmitigated disaster. Unlikely really, as he's already had success with Luck and Fleener.

Little pick me up for not having any games to watch for a while.

It's hard to look at this and not think we've won the lottery with this kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

This was practically guaranteed as soon as the Patriots made the Championship game!
    Andrew Luck will replace Tom Brady in the Pro Bowl.

Pretty much every Patriot pulled out. Not much love for the Pro Bowl in New England. Should be a decent experience for the lad -- get to know some of the AFC lads he might otherwise not have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

he'll also get the experience of having some time in the pocket... which will be a nice change for him.

McG wrote: »
    he'll also get the experience of having some time in the pocket... which will be a nice change for him.

Lol, yeah.... will be nice for him not to hit the deck after every throw.

I think read somewhere Luck was hit about 30% more than the next most hit QB. If true, that's unbelieveable, and totally unacceptable. If the Colts can't protect a Rookie QB with that much promise, then run it more. I don't care if we miss the playoffs. If this keep happening, he'll see a lot of wear and tear too early in his career. He's got a crazy fast release. This just shouldn't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

davyjose wrote: »
    Lol, yeah.... will be nice for him not to hit the deck after every throw.

I think read somewhere Luck was hit about 30% more than the next most hit QB. If true, that's unbelieveable, and totally unacceptable. If the Colts can't protect a Rookie QB with that much promise, then run it more. I don't care if we miss the playoffs. If this keep happening, he'll see a lot of wear and tear too early in his career. He's got a crazy fast release. This just shouldn't be happening.

That's a crazy stat you mentioned there and very worrying. I just wouldn't want to see him running around more like RG3 because of that pressure. After all, look where that poor kid ended up. No offence to RG3, but Luck has struck me as a clever runner when he does move. Stil, I like QB's to stay in the pocket and leave the running to the RB's.

That's a crazy stat you mentioned there and very worrying. I just wouldn't want to see him running around more like RG3 because of that pressure. After all, look where that poor kid ended up. No offence to RG3, but Luck has struck me as a clever runner when he does move. Stil, I like QB's to stay in the pocket and leave the running to the RB's.

It'll be addressed. It's number 1 priority with Grigson and Pagano, no doubt. That figure might be off (can't for the life of me find the source), but the article was pretty clear in saying he took the most hits. Arians took our O-line coach with him, but not sure that'll be a major loss. We need a great O-line coach and some decent personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Arians took our O-line coach with him, but not sure that'll be a major loss.

I can assure you that will prove to be a blessing in disguise.

Article on Wallace to the Colts! http://sbn.to/UU0ipg

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it!

Regarding the O-line coach gone to the Cardinals, he won't b a huge loss on the evidence of last year but 2 things to remember:

1. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear!
    2. The Arians offence where the QB stands in the pocket and waits for the play to develop makes it very hard on the o-line! This could change with the new coordinator (as Davyjose said!)

Apparently, the Cotls scout showed a lot of interest in Kansas state's Arthur Brown.

He's an outside Linebacker. MLB is a bigger need, unless you figure Freeney will be offloaded in the free agency. Clearly seems likely.

Apparently, the Cotls scout showed a lot of interest in Kansas state's Arthur Brown.

He's an outside Linebacker. MLB is a bigger need, unless you figure Freeney will be offloaded in the free agency. Clearly seems likely.
    Heard that alright! I thought he was a middle linebacker though (or would be in a 3-4) for some reason!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Craig Dowling

Revis island would be nice if the jets are serious about trading him

Revis island would be nice if the jets are serious about trading him
    Depends on the cost really! We're already down to 5 picks in the draft, though its unlikely we'd pick up a player of Revis's quality in the draft!

• Advertisement

Stepfan Taylor and Le'veon Bell are two other RB's we may look at! Taylor for his Stanford connections and is just a good solid player! Bell is an absolute beast! Not sure on his speed though!

Stepfan Taylor and Le'veon Bell are two other RB's we may look at! Taylor for his Stanford connections and is just a good solid player! Bell is an absolute beast! Not sure on his speed though!

Pep Hamilton is big into the power runners. Stanford's fullback is about 240lb. A demolition ball could be the perfect foil for Ballard. But Brown, unless he's too expensive, is probably worth keeping.
    Not sure Revis has the personality to be a Colt. Would need a guarantee of his health for me to be happy with that. Davis has found his Rookie/college form, but a valid replacement for Butler is probably a worry, but the guy still has talent.

All this talk of DB's and RB's but without a good O-line and some work on the front seven, it's redundant.

Pep Hamilton is big into the power runners. Stanford's fullback is about 240lb. A demolition ball could be the perfect foil for Ballard. But Brown, unless he's too expensive, is probably worth keeping.
    Not sure Revis has the personality to be a Colt. Would need a guarantee of his health for me to be happy with that. Davis has found his Rookie/college form, but a valid replacement for Butler is probably a worry, but the guy still has talent.

All this talk of DB's and RB's but without a good O-line and some work on the front seven, it's redundant.
    Dwayne Allen might see some time at fullback!! He's a pretty aggressive blocker!!

I've seen talk of going after a big FA LT and moving Castanzo over to RT! ilijano is on IR and may be back too, although I think that's two ACL's the last two years??! He showed some flashes in probably the worst Colts team since before Payton!

D-line is hard to know! They made an offer to the ex Canadian league fella the Pats signed this week! I putting a lot of hope on Chapman even though he's never had a snap in the NFL!

Pass rusher is probably the biggest need on defence! Kruger has been mentioned before, and id be extremely happy if we stole him from the Ravens!

Good thing is, is that this draft seems to be strongest in the areas we need help: pass rusher, o-line and d-line! Due to our lack of depth (and quality IMO) we could easily pick up another 3 or 4 starters in this years draft!

Yeah I haven't given up on Chapman either. If he can come back with the same potential he showed in College, it'll be a boon. But it's almost 2 full seasons since he played.

Jesus, is Kruger a FA this year? I'd jump on him. And Pagano more than anyone will be well aware of his ability. Don't get me overexcited Taidgh -- I'mm already eyeballing Welker :D

Yeah I haven't given up on Chapman either. If he can come back with the same potential he showed in College, it'll be a boon. But it's almost 2 full seasons since he played.

Jesus, is Kruger a FA this year? I'd jump on him. And Pagano more than anyone will be well aware of his ability. Don't get me overexcited Taidgh -- I'mm already eyeballing Welker :D
    I think Chapman played his last season with the knee injury! He was IIRC the second/third rated NT along with T'amu (who the steelers took and subsequently cut!)! His injury seen him drop a bit but also he's a run stopper first and foremost - not much of a pass rusher (from what I've read!)!! He may not turn out to be any good but certainly on paper he looks like an upgrade over what we already have!!

Yeah Paully D (I think it was) was in here warning us to stay away from Kruger! I told him to jog on cuz I'd be hard like!!

Jeff Saturday has retired!! From undrafted to one of the best centre/QB tandems in recent memory!! 6 pro bowls and 2 all pros!!

I haven't the link (its on youtube!) but the "Americas Game" on the Colts Super Bowl win gives a good insight into the relationship between him and manning!

Great professional and I obviously don't know him personally but everything I've ever heard said about him was positive!

Would love to see him returns to the Colts in a front office capacity!! He was a central part on the players side in the recent collective bargaining agreement! Good picture out there of him and Robert Kraft hugging in the press conference after the agreement was finished!

Jeff Saturday has retired!! From undrafted to one of the best centre/QB tandems in recent memory!! 6 pro bowls and 2 all pros!!

I haven't the link (its on youtube!) but the "Americas Game" on the Colts Super Bowl win gives a good insight into the relationship between him and manning!

Great professional and I obviously don't know him personally but everything I've ever heard said about him was positive!

Would love to see him returns to the Colts in a front office capacity!! He was a central part on the players side in the recent collective bargaining agreement! Good picture out there of him and Robert Kraft hugging in the press conference after the agreement was finished!

It's no surprise I suppose. What a career, just in terms of a UDFA lineman lasting that long on one of the best teams in the NFL for over a decade.

Great guy by all accounts. I wish him well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/

I have absolutely no idea how reliable the attached is for judging an o-line, but 31st does not look good! 254 hurries, sacks and hits on the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/

I have absolutely no idea how reliable the attached is for judging an o-line, but 31st does not look good! 254 hurries, sacks and hits on the year!

it seems about right. a large portion of all that salary cap space should be spent brining in some o-line help. I can only imagine it would make Luck even better if he wasn't getting so harassed in the pocket.

• Advertisement

I can well believe it. Wouldn't be shocked had we been 32nd. I think a lot of work will be put into rebuilding it. We'll keep Castonzo, and maybe Shipley, and rebuild the rest of the line IMO.

BA has his work cut out next year again, without a guy like Luck to help him out.

Advertisement