Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window hinge replacement

• 19-09-2012 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey guys. I am having a small issue with a window. It seems one of the hinges on the side has either rusted or broken and now the window is only supported on one side.

I got the window closed and it is pretty solid but I do need to see to it. The problem is the window is on a third floor so access is limited. I'm guessing I would need to call in a pro but is it a big job? Would the window need to be taken out entirely and refitted? it is just one hinge but I am clueless as to what needs to be done. Also worried about the cost. It seems a relatively small thing but considering it is 3 storeys up I'm guessing it will be more than a one man job. Cheers for any advice. Just causing me no end of frustration.

open+window+web.jpg

Thats the kind of window anyways.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sorry i cant tell you how to do this, but I have seen a running add in the Herald this week about a crowd that have listed fixing hinges on windows as one of their main services, you could have a look there there was a guys mobile on the add I'd imagine that it would not be expensive to get someone to do it right, if you were in that game it would be simple rather than messing around with it every couple of weeks and eventually just getting in someone in 4 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

It's not a big job.

You can see the hinge in your photo, there will be a couple of screws fixing the hinge, to the frame, these just need to be unscrewed, as its on the third floor, one guy with a screwdriver another to catch the frame before it falls to the ground.

Then fit a new hinge, and reverse the operation.

Get someone who is familiar with fitting windows, 1/2 hours work, price of a couple of pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

Cheers for the heads up. I appreciate it it! Just don't wanna get some cowboy telling me its a three day job at double time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Korasa wrote: »
    Hey guys. I am having a small issue with a window. It seems one of the hinges on the side has either rusted or broken and now the window is only supported on one side.

I got the window closed and it is pretty solid but I do need to see to it. The problem is the window is on a third floor so access is limited. I'm guessing I would need to call in a pro but is it a big job? Would the window need to be taken out entirely and refitted? it is just one hinge but I am clueless as to what needs to be done. Also worried about the cost. It seems a relatively small thing but considering it is 3 storeys up I'm guessing it will be more than a one man job. Cheers for any advice. Just causing me no end of frustration.

open+window+web.jpg

Thats the kind of window anyways.

if you are dublin based drop me a pm i am a glazier and i do loads of these hinges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭nhg

Just make sure you have a matching pair i.e. when you change the broken one and its slightly different make sure to change the one on the other side to identical.

Its worth getting a can of silicone spray (wd40 would do if you have'nt a silicone spray) and giving all your hinges and locking mechanisms on your doors and windows a good spray about twice a year, it will extend the lifespan of same

• Advertisement
Advertisement