Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow times headlines

Options
  • 19-09-2012 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Anyone see the headline on the WT? Politicians off on trips abroad.
    Council must have money to burn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Last time it was China, this time Abu Dhabi is it? I am embarrassed and ashamed that these people purportedly represent the people of Greystones especially at a time when many people are struggling with day to day living costs. This money could go to people that really need it. Disgraceful behaviour.

Can anyone offer any tangible reason why we should be spending all this money on this Livecom award (because at the end of the day you have to be able to afford to enter it and most local councils would refuse to release these kinds of funds)? There were a few lines in the press when the award was won yet a basic google search and it's not even on the first page.

http://www.livcomawards.com/

Judging criteria:

"3. Environmental Best Practices:
    This section should demonstrate how the community has adopted innovative environmentally sensitive practices and pursues initiatives that result in sustainable management of the environment. Evidence should be included which demonstrates that the community is involved in efforts to apply sustainable development and to promote best practices that lead to the development, conservation and preservation of the environment. This would include the enhancement of the quality of air, water and land, biodiversity, reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and the consumption of natural resources through use of alternative materials and sources of energy and recycling.

Best Practices are examples of outstanding contributions to improving the living environment.

Submissions should describe successful initiatives that have a demonstrable and tangible impact on improving people’s quality of life and are the result of effective partnerships between the public, private and civic sectors of society, which are also socially, culturally, economically and environmentally sustainable.

Evidence should be included of Best Practices that are promoted and used as a means of improving public policy based on what works, of raising awareness of decision-makers at all levels and of the public of potential solutions to common social, economic and environmental problems and of sharing and transferring knowledge, expertise and experience through networking and learning."

Ok Grainne, George, Eddie -you are having a laugh spending OUR money on your junket. How did County Wicklow even make the shortlist when we have the whole ongoing Greystones Harbour travesty? I mean Seriously????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

It's called Irish society, junkets, cute whorism, pot hole fixing, ivory towering,I'm alright jackassetry.

New regime same old BS

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's called Irish society, junkets, cute whorism, pot hole fixing, ivory towering,I'm alright jackassetry.

New regime same old BS

Same in every county. complete ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

They should give the money to the families that have lost dear ones due to recession related suicide. Disgraceful behaviour.

Sorry, but why on earth should the money be given to the families with recession related suicides. That's nuts !!!

• Advertisement

Sorry was having a bit of a rant. I meant that there is absolutely no justification for this money being spent on this junket ESPECIALLY when families and individuals are in such dire straits financially. My point well intentioned but poorly made! I'll edit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Sorry was having a bit of a rant. I meant that there is absolutely no justification for this money being spent on this junket ESPECIALLY when families and individuals are in such dire straits financially. My point well intentioned but poorly made! I'll edit it.

ah, gotcha,

you're right...it is feck1n nuts and there are 101 areas where the money could be spent more wisely ...
    Actually, as I just wrote that, it dawned on me ... how long are we saying money could be better spent elsewhere .... too long !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Last time it was China, this time Abu Dhabi is it? I am embarrassed and ashamed that these people purportedly represent the people of Greystones especially at a time when many people are struggling with day to day living costs. This money could go to people that really need it. Disgraceful behaviour.

Can anyone offer any tangible reason why we should be spending all this money on this Livecom award (because at the end of the day you have to be able to afford to enter it and most local councils would refuse to release these kinds of funds)? There were a few lines in the press when the award was won yet a basic google search and it's not even on the first page.

I wonder if that woman had to pay her own way would she be as eager to go on her junket..i heard her on east coast slateing councillor sullivan for blowing the whistle on her...cheek of her ..it will attract tourists..we got all that auld tourist twattle when the queen came...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jungledrums

Maudi wrote: »

I wonder if that woman had to pay her own way would she be as eager to go on her junket..i heard her on east coast slateing councillor sullivan for blowing the whistle on her...cheek of her ..it will attract tourists..we got all that auld tourist twattle when the queen came...

like the thousands of tourists from the last time we won!
    The hotels were stuffed to capacity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Last time we won what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

Last time we won what?

http://www.livcomawards.com/previous-winners/2008-results.htm

Maybe if there was a hotel in the centre of Greystones we would have more than daytrippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Ah now, there are usually two or three camper vans parked down at the harbour at any given time. The revenue generated from these tourists would pay for.... well... a slap-up meal in Abu Dhabi for at least one councillor :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Got it in one, Cheeky. With an environmental disaster being created by the harbour and Sispar/WCC's deliberate decision to set aside their obligations on coastal protection of the North Beach, how can Greystones even be in this contest unless outright LIES have been told to the (UN) organisers?

I notice that the Town Council passed a resolution asking WCC to examine the causes of erosion at The Cove after last April's blow. But they have done nothing to investigate the far more serious erosion of the north beach cliffs, instead swallowing Paraic Keogh of Sispar's BS that erosion was "within historical limits".

O'Sullivan was right to blow the whistle. I can imagine one councillor and one official going to this event — but four, five, six people? Wake up, you bunch of dicks.
    Judging criteria:

"3. Environmental Best Practices:
    This section should demonstrate how the community has adopted innovative environmentally sensitive practices and pursues initiatives that result in sustainable management of the environment. Evidence should be included which demonstrates that the community is involved in efforts to apply sustainable development and to promote best practices that lead to the development, conservation and preservation of the environment. This would include the enhancement of the quality of air, water and land, biodiversity, reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and the consumption of natural resources through use of alternative materials and sources of energy and recycling.

Best Practices are examples of outstanding contributions to improving the living environment.

Submissions should describe successful initiatives that have a demonstrable and tangible impact on improving people’s quality of life and are the result of effective partnerships between the public, private and civic sectors of society, which are also socially, culturally, economically and environmentally sustainable.

Evidence should be included of Best Practices that are promoted and used as a means of improving public policy based on what works, of raising awareness of decision-makers at all levels and of the public of potential solutions to common social, economic and environmental problems and of sharing and transferring knowledge, expertise and experience through networking and learning."

Ok Grainne, George, Eddie -you are having a laugh spending OUR money on your junket. How did County Wicklow even make the shortlist when we have the whole ongoing Greystones Harbour travesty? I mean Seriously????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

My cousin stepped into the Liffey recently after having his meds stopped. I appreciate the sentiment CC.

Advertisement