Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gallery Representation - what does it do for you?

• 19-09-2012 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I recently got a mail from a gallery in New York that was soliciting a portfolio in order to apply to have them represent me. I know for a fact that my photography is not of a high enough standard for something like that, so I assume they just email into every photography site they come across on the web. Anyway I clicked through to see what it was about and they say they 'represent' artists (not just photographers I presume), and for that their representation packages start at just $3800 per year which can be paid in six easy instalments of $750! I politely declined the 'opportunity' to have my portfolio rejected, or worse accepted and be out of pocket by nearly 4 grand.

My question is - how could that possibly be worth it? What are they actually doing for that money? Their website has lots of testimonials talking about how wonderful it is to be 'represented' in New York, and the prestige of it. Is it a vanity thing, that people with more money than sense get to pay to have their work displayed somewhere and be able to tell everyone? Or is it actually a viable income stream somehow where you could have an expectation of recouping the costs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

After a bit of googling it seems to be a scam alright - the idea is to get people to part with their hard earned in the hopes of a bit of fame & fortune. There seemed to be some suggestion that the 'gallery' mightn't even exist at all and that it's a more classic scam where they just take your money and don't even give you your vanity project!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

After a bit of googling it seems to be a scam alright - the idea is to get people to part with their hard earned in the hopes of a bit of fame & fortune. There seemed to be some suggestion that the 'gallery' mightn't even exist at all and that it's a more classic scam where they just take your money and don't even give you your vanity project!

Scammity scam scam i assume. In general though, if you're working as an artist it's a major income source - galleries represent you and show your work, therefore raising your profile and introducing you to collectors and investors, and you share the income from sales. They wouldn't be asking for a big outlay or contacting you via email like that though if it were legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Got that the other day, they must have gone through a load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I got it a while back, was a bit excited at first. Thinking Yanks would go for photos of the old country/Galway. Did a google search and saw it's a scam too.

Best off to stick to local cafes etc. for exhibiting photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I got that email about a month ago. Also got it around this time last year.

Legit or not, there isn't a hope in hell of me being able to pay $3800/year. If I had that money, I'd have upgraded to a full frame or replaced some aging/dying kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I got no email...feel so left out :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I got one too and then got a follow up wanting to know my thoughts on their first e mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I got one too and then got a follow up wanting to know my thoughts on their first e mail.

Same with me

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Got the initial and follow up mails too.

Advertisement