Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 Paulstown to Danesfort Closing

Options
  • 19-09-2012 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

According to the Kilkenny people the motorway between j7 and j9 will close for a month possibly more to repair the issues with the NEW motorway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cannot believe this...it's seems a mental decision. Was there no other way they could handle this? Closing a motorway for a month is a HUGE inconvenience. Would understand if it was 50 years old...it's open two years!

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/motorway-to-be-closed-for-a-month-1-4273313

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Glad as hell I no longer have to go to waterford,

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Cabaal wrote: »
    Glad as hell I no longer have to go to waterford,

The paper says Danesfort to Paulstown, which makes a 'little' more sense than closing all the way to Knocktopher.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rayc wrote: »
    The paper says Danesfort to Paulstown, which makes a 'little' more sense than closing all the way to Knocktopher.

Still not the best planning, would have been better do all the closing before the schools started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

They made some mess of the bit they supposedly fixed just passed mulinavat its not one bit even its like bouncing on a space hopper when ya drive over it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

What's everyone favourite location along this old route they haven't seen in 2years? Any favourite stop offs you use to enjoy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Beep and wave as you pass me on the old road :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

kikel wrote: »
    What's everyone favourite location along this old route they haven't seen in 2years? Any favourite stop offs you use to enjoy?

Nowhere really special, always hated the old N9 and N78. I guess Walls/The Priory is good for a spot of lunch and I'd still pop in there from time to time. Also Crookstown is handy for fuel. Other than that not much, though I tend to find myself on parts of the old road from time to time.

Is the Fox & Goose still going? Found that pretty bad the lest time I was and way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

S28382 wrote: »
    They made some mess of the bit they supposedly fixed just passed mulinavat its not one bit even its like bouncing on a space hopper when ya drive over it.

Yeah I thought the same when drove it this week, was shocked they walked away and left in that state.

Looks like it's going ahead anyhow Monday morning. At least traffic northbound can still enter KK via the N10 link road exit 8 which was a small bit of sense.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/2008-ploughing-championships-are-headed-for-kilkenny-1-2159251

• Advertisement

Weird being back on the old N10 between Paulstown and KK this evening. It was very very busy.
    I hope this diversion ends ahead of schedule. Could see them down the motorway working away on it. Diversion is reasonably well signed with staff at some of the exits as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was late for work this morning, left early and all. What were the armed gardaí doing this morning, is the budget that tight that armed gardaí are checking for tax and insurance?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I was late for work this morning, left early and all. What were the armed gardaí doing this morning, is the budget that tight that armed gardaí are checking for tax and insurance?

likely looking for something/someone,

Garda out on his own today at Clara under the M9 overpass randomly checking cars for tax etc I'd say. Taking advantage no doubt of the M9 being closed and said he's catch a few fish for himself...the usual guy, I'm sure locals will know who I mean!!
    Such a wonderful use of our resources :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DUBintheSTICKS

mfitzy wrote: »
    Such a wonderful use of our resources :rolleyes:

What would you rather he was doing??

What would you rather he was doing??

Let people go about their business freely on an already very congested route that the last thing it needed was a Garda checkpoint. There's an appropriate time and place. It's certainly not on a road being used temporarily as a diversion from a major motorway. Traffic was building up behind for about half a KM.

Let people go about their business freely on an already very congested route that the last thing it needed was a Garda checkpoint. There's an appropriate time and place. It's certainly not on a road being used temporarily as a diversion from a major motorway. Traffic was building up behind for about half a KM.

Let people go about there business freely?!??

This is perfect time and place for a checkpoint, all traffic has to go through it and criminals can't avoid it.

As captain havoc noticed about the armed gardai at a different checkpoint on that route, they aren't interested in tax and insurance unless it relates to a known criminal.

It may have inconvienced you for a very short time but I'm sure that wasn't the Garda aim.

He is doing his job, its within his job remit to check cars like he is doing,

As long as people have tax, insurance and nct they have nothing to worry about at all, I've never once had to worry about any gardai checkpoints.....its great to see Gardai out and about and doing things
    :)

• Advertisement

Let people go about there business freely?!??

This is perfect time and place for a checkpoint, all traffic has to go through it and criminals can't avoid it.

As captain havoc noticed about the armed gardai at a different checkpoint on that route, they aren't interested in tax and insurance unless it relates to a known criminal.

It may have inconvienced you for a very short time but I'm sure that wasn't the Garda aim.

Careful now you don't fall over there on the high moral ground.

No it's not. It's ridiculous. The road was already really congested with all the diverted traffic. Common sense would tell you not to put a check point there unless absol neccessary.
    If you think this a great use of resources then frankly that's your point of view, but I'm still going to express mine regardless.
    There are lots of "criminals" in this country. But they sure as hell ain't the majority of motorists in this coiuntry, absolutely crippled by already exhorbitant motor tax and crippling fuel prices (taxed to the hilt).

Careful now you don't fall over there on the high moral ground.

No it's not. It's ridiculous. The road was already really congested with all the diverted traffic. Common sense would tell you not to put a check point there unless absol neccessary.
    If you think this a great use of resources then frankly that's your point of view, but I'm still going to express mine regardless.
    There are lots of "criminals" in this country. But they sure as hell ain't the majority of motorists in this coiuntry, absolutely crippled by already exhorbitant motor tax and crippling fuel prices (taxed to the hilt).

The difference is my view is an informed view. The vast majority of motorists will be waved through the checkpoint as they have everything in order.

The vast majority of burglaries that have occurred/are occurring have been committed by criminals travelling from the likes of Dublin and using the motorway to travel further to commit crime and it makes it harder to catch them if they use the motorway. Hence checkpoints where they can't avoid gardai.

There will be plenty of checkpoints on that road as there always is, just you have avoided them using the motorway.

Back on topic, anyone know how they are getting on re-building that collapsed section of M9?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Does anyone know what's the protocol in a situation like this. Do the NRA (National Roads Authority) look for compensation off the contractors? I know this also happened on the M8 and the motorway was also partially closed for a month.

Hopefully it will reopen ahead of schedule. The diversion is adding at least 40 minutes extra to my commute each day. :(

LOL, It's amazing how much people complain about this closure for 1 month. You'd think their lives were falling apart. Look on the bright side and how much time you save every week that this is open. Pack of old ladies. :p:p:p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Back on topic, anyone know how they are getting on re-building that collapsed section of M9?

Hopefully better than what they did on the bit they were at near mulinavat

LOL, It's amazing how much people complain about this closure for 1 month. You'd think their lives were falling apart. Look on the bright side and how much time you save every week that this is open. Pack of old ladies. :p:p:p:p:p:p

I'm not saying my life is 'falling apart' but I'd quite like the 3 hours back that I'm now spending sitting in traffic.

My concern is more about the shoddy workmanship that's caused this problem which is why I asked if the council would be getting compensation from the contractors.

I can guarantee you'll never get that time back. You should be grateful for the estimated 468 hours you've saved over the the last few years because of the motorway. Sit back and relax and enjoy your trip through the country side.

The KK people state the contractor that built the road will fund the repairs.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/motorway-to-be-closed-for-a-month-1-4273313

I can guarantee you'll never get that time back. You should be grateful for the estimated 468 hours you've saved over the the last few years because of the motorway. Sit back and relax and enjoy your trip through the country side.

The KK people state the contractor that built the road will fund the repairs.

We'll agree to disagree over the first point. Thanks for the link to the Kilkenny People. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 tibolt

We're lucky the work is only going to take a month. The work on the ring road took ages - they must have been at it for 18 months!

Advertisement