Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail went down due to wrong NS settings

Options
  • 19-09-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

My mail went down over the last day and I couldn't figure out why. It seems like all of my MX records disappeared. It's a while since I worked with this stuff so I am a little rusty. The only thing that has changed recently has been that I renewed the domain with my registrar, it's a .ie domain. I notice that the NS settings are wrong, but have been for a number of years. Are the MX records controlled by the owner of the nameserver? Maybe they ran out of patience as I am no longer a customer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I think the MX records are in your preserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Whatever happened I needed to get my nameserver changed before the MX records could be updated by my registrar. Back working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bfran

MX records are for Mail servers and NS are for pointing your domain to the sever, as far as I'm aware if you point the NS only then you have to set up your mail setting on the server.

Advertisement