Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mrs. J. Christ

• 19-09-2012 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

He's not the Messiah, He's a very naughty boy............
    A Harvard University professor has unveiled a fourth century fragment of papyrus she said is the only existing ancient text quoting Jesus explicitly referring to having a wife.
    Karen King, an expert in the history of Christianity, said the text contains a dialogue in which Jesus refers to “my wife”, whom he identifies as Mary. Ms King said the fragment of Coptic script is a copy of a gospel, probably written in Greek in the second century.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0919/breaking16.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

If I'm late home again tonight, she'll fcuking crucify me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I thought it was pretty much taken for granted at this point that Mary Magdalene was at least Jesus's lover and that the new testament of the bible is a heavily edited version of primarily fictional work?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

seamus wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty much taken for granted at this point that Mary Magdalene was at least Jesus's lover

I thought so too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I thought it was pretty much taken for granted at this point that Mary Magdalene was at least Jesus's lover and that the new testament of the bible is a heavily edited version of primarily fictional work?

Maybe the full translation was, "Jaysus if my wife finds out I'm shagging Mary Magdalene she'll cut my cock off!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Possibly didn't want to disclose having a wife for fear of being hammered with tax?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

kfallon wrote: »
    Maybe the full translation was, "Jaysus if my wife finds out I'm shagging Mary Magdalene she'll cut my cock off!!!"

Suddenly I have a pic of Jesus in my head with Barry White music going in the background.
    Jesus, you dawg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

No, The Da Vinci Code was rubbish!

Mary Magdalene was a groupie I thought.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not really. It's been conjecture, populist conjecture a la Dan Brown and those before him but thats about it(kinda like the confusion over her being a hooker. She wasn't). This document at least adds to the picture at least for 2nd century thinkers(possibly). On the fiction aspect, sure there's shed loads of clearly fantastical stuff, though when the various versions were written down there were people alive who knew him so it's possible, if not likely that the general bones of the story has weight.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

http://www.thejournal.ie/jesus-married-wife-harvard-600374-Sep2012/
    Professor Karen King of the Harvard Divinity School revealed the existence of the papyrus at a major international conference on Coptic studies at the Vatican in Rome.
    She says that the fragment does not provide definitive proof that Jesus was married, which many Christians disagree about, but reopens the debate over whether he was or not.
    Jesus identifies his wife as “Mary” in the tiny fragment. “The disciples discuss whether Mary is worthy, and Jesus states that “she can be my disciple,” said King.
    “Christian tradition has long held that Jesus was not married, even though no reliable historical evidence exists to support that claim,” she said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Somewhere Dan Brown is laughing his ass off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I thought so too.

Me 3, is it not just one of these things where the early church tried to sublimate the role of women.
    Everyone knows she was the missus, give the church 2-300 years & they'll change their doctrine to suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Since when does written word denote fact? Imagine a fragment of some tabloid rag from today, is found in about two thousand years...

Somewhere Dan Brown is laughing his ass off

...And working on a new sequel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Many people were called Jesus.
    Christ's given name, commonly Romanized as Yeshua, was quite common in first-century Galilee. (Jesus comes from the transliteration of Yeshua into Greek and then English.) Archaeologists have unearthed the tombs of 71 Yeshuas from the period of Jesus' death. The name also appears 30 times in the Old Testament in reference to four separate characters—including a descendent of Aaron who helped to distribute offerings of grain (2 Chronicles 31:15) and a man who accompanied former captives of Nebuchadnezzar back to Jerusalem (Ezra 2:2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

squod wrote: »

And the best one of all.................

Was his name Jesus though - or was it Yeshua or Yehoshua?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Or yoshhi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Biggins wrote: »

I'd imagine it was Jesus. Either way, some other scientician might find a fragment of some other bluddy thing to base some story on next week. 'till then, adieu.

racso1975 wrote: »
    Or yoshhi

Or Yahweh?

I'd like to know what was the actual real name that was used by his parents.
    Not the translation - his real name, as it was pronounced.

I'd imagine it was Jesus. Either way, some other scientician might find a fragment of some other bluddy thing to base some story on next week. 'till then, adieu.

I believe (and I'm open to be quite wrong on this) "Jesus" might be in fact just a translation into English of his real name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

given the time period it's more likely Jesus had a wife as it would be extremely weird for someone not to be married back then. I've heard people say that the church erased his family to make him seem more divine and less of an ordinary man.

ScumLord wrote: »
    given the time period it's more likely Jesus had a wife as it would be extremely weird for someone not to be married back then. I've heard people say that the church erased his family to make him seem more divine and less of an ordinary man.

Heard/read that too.

I'm not saying it was done but people have indeed tried erasing others from history.
    Egyptian history is full of this alone. All is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Gee Bag wrote: »
    ...."my wife" whom he referred to as Mary....
    Ghandee wrote: »
    Possibly didn't want to disclose having a wife for fear of being hammered with tax?
    If I'm late home again tonight, she'll fcuking crucify me.

The wife is called Mary.

She'd bate him if he was home late.

Fear of being crippled by taxes.

:eek: Jesus was Irish !!! (Quick get Brendan Gleeson to play him in the upcoming film)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

He had a wife and 2 kids. Had a decent job as a carpenter and was a 40-a-day man. Liked a pint and a bet on the nags but was a hoor for the women. Popular fella tho cos at the end of the night all he needed was a potato and a packet of fish fingers (he often got them off Mary Magdalene ;):p) and everyone went home with a battered cod and a single.

Or Yahweh?

I'd like to know what was the actual real name that was used by his parents.
    Not the translation - his real name, as it was pronounced.

I believe (and I'm open to be quite wrong on this) "Jesus" might be in fact just a translation into English of his real name.

Yahweh was one of the Jewish names for name of God. It wasn't even meant to be said aloud. Defo not to be used as a first name.

Jesus is a transliteration of Yeshua from Aramhaic to Greek, then Greek to Latin and from Latin to English.

Would have been handier for everyone if he was just called Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ghandee wrote: »

Nah, mary was claiming the lone parents, medical card, rent allowance, the lot. He would have lost a fortune if he declared it!

Yahweh was one of the Jewish names for name of God. It wasn't even meant to be said aloud. Jesus is a transliteration of Yeshua from Aramhaic to Greek, then Greek to Latin and from Latin to English.

Would have been handier from everyone if he was just called Dave.

The deity known as 'God' was YHWH a shortened version of 'I am that I am' (the reply Moses got when he asked what God's name was in the desert)
    They stuck in vowels so you could say it...even though it wasn't meant to be said. Twould be risking a stoning (not the good kind of stoning)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Dan Brown didn't invent Mary Magdalene, she's mentioned in at least 4 different Gospels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He's not the Messiah, He's a very naughty boy...

Such an infantile post. Married men are not "very naughty". Not by dint of being married, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Jesus, Mary, Mary and Joseph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Such an infantile post. Married men are not "very naughty". Not by dint of being married, anyway.

Um...
    I'm really not sure if srsly...

Well, that me schooled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

EnterNow wrote: »
    Since when does written word denote fact? Imagine a fragment of some tabloid rag from today, is found in about two thousand years...

And two thousand years after that, you'd have people praying to Katie Price, you mean? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

:rolleyes: Whatever you do, don't rent "The Life of Brian".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Whoosh.
    spacecraft from the end of the movie flying by

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

So Christians beliefs have been insulted with these 'crazy' accusations about Jesus...

Can we expect wide scale rioting?

I doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

It's quite funny with all of the people rubbishing Dan Brown's historically inaccurate fiction, as if the f'kin Bible accurate or factual!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

M.I.L.F.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It's quite funny with all of the people rubbishing Dan Brown's historically inaccurate fiction, as if the f'kin Bible accurate or factual!
    Can we not feel the same about both? I know I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Apparently, the quote is the earliest recorded version of: take my wife... please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

EnterNow wrote: »

Ah the old Nazarien red tops

Who could for their classic headlines

Local carpenter claims he hears voices from Yaweh
    Mother always knew he was Gods gift.

Yes God is my babys daddy- supposed virgin claims divine impregnation, does her partner believe her turn to page 4 to find out

What do you wear to a crucifixion? - Jezzabelle gives you all the fashion tips

Shenshen wrote: »
    And two thousand years after that, you'd have people praying to Katie Price, you mean? :D

O' GAWD!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Shenshen wrote: »

Well at least they will still probably have bits of her around to worship.
    What is the half life of silicon again ?
    davet82 wrote: »
    So Christians beliefs have been insulted with these 'crazy' accusations about Jesus...

Can we expect wide scale rioting?

I doubt it

I keep wondering if we could have the same light hearted discussion about some other notable prophets ?

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    ...I keep wondering if we could have the same light hearted discussion about some other notable prophets ?

:D

Dream on! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

jmayo wrote: »
    I keep wondering if we could have the same light hearted discussion about some other notable prophets ?

There is a €50,000 bounty on your head for that insinuation :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Am I surprised? No. The dude had the looks and he had the moves. I reckon Mary M must have been some hottie to have landed JC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

More the the issue was what to do about the semi divine kids that where knocking about .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

There were a fair few "Mary"s knocking around Israel 2,000 years ago according to the Bible.
    Mary Christ, Jesus' ma.
    Mary Magdalene, his mot.
    Mary, the sister of Martha and Lazarus.
    "The other Mary", wife of Clopas and mother of James the Less and Joses.
    Mary, the mother of John and Mark.

Must've been a pretty popular name back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

according to ancestry.com he was
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Jesus states that “she can be my disciple,”
    disciple, discipline - Disciple comes from a Latin word meaning "learner" and discipline comes from one meaning "instruction, knowledge."

Jesus was the Christian Grey of his day...

• Advertisement
Advertisement