Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mrs. J. Christ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

next ye'll be telling me Jaysus didnt have blonde hair and blue eyes, and in fact more looked like someone most Americans wouldn't feel comfortable sitting next to on a plane.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Jesus was the Christian Grey of his day...

That explains the cross and whips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Gee Bag wrote: »
    And the best one of all.................

You said it man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Dan Brown didn't invent Mary Magdalene, she's mentioned in at least 4 different Gospels!

She was mentioned in them, but in all she is a very minor character prior to yhe resurrection story, she only gets one or two mentions before Jesus dies. I don't think it is credible that the earliest sources would all fail to mention that she was his wife.

It also was not unheard of for men at the time to be unmarried, St Paul is an example of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

ScumLord wrote: »
    given the time period it's more likely Jesus had a wife as it would be extremely weird for someone not to be married back then. I've heard people say that the church erased his family to make him seem more divine and less of an ordinary man.

And even more unusual for a Rabbi not to be married back then. Jesus was a Rabbi, so it's very likely that he was married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

She was mentioned in them, but in all she is a very minor character prior to yhe resurrection story, she only gets one or two mentions before Jesus dies. I don't think it is credible that the earliest sources would all fail to mention that she was his wife.

It also was not unheard of for men at the time to be unmarried, St Paul is an example of this.

I suspect she wasn't his wife.
    His wife probably stayed at home, looking after his old parents. And Mary Magdalene was a, well, "ardent" follower.
    In that case it would make perfect sense for the chroniclers to try and omit both of them as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

She was just his assistant. All magicians have assistants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

One verse of a Gospel, think it was Phillip, which mentions she was the companion of Jesus.

Companion meant spouse in those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Gee Bag wrote: »
    And the best one of all.................

funny-celebrity-pictures-nobody-fks-with-the-jesus.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Sin City wrote: »
    funny-celebrity-pictures-nobody-fks-with-the-jesus.gif

Thats just brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

4th Century?! You can't rely on something passed down by word of mouth for 400 years as fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Reoil wrote: »
    4th Century?! You can't rely on something passed down by word of mouth for 400 years as fact!

300 years.
    And most of the bible has been passed down by word of mouth by much, much longer than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'm not sure that anyone is.

Shenshen wrote: »
    300 years.
    And most of the bible has been passed down by word of mouth by much, much longer than that.

Not the new Testament - it was written before the end of the first century by those who either knew him personally, or were under the influence of those who were disciples.

Or recently for that matter.
    If the tabloids had anything to do with it, it was all a sham. She marrys the son of god to help with her image of being a whore. And he gets seen walking out and about with a woman to combat the gay jibes from hanging around with 12 other men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

(And yes - 300 years - but I knew that :()

300 years.

In terms of the New Testament the Gospels were written 40 to 70 years after Jesus' death, by the time of the Gospel of John around 95AD the character of Jesus had already changed dramatically, any Gospel later than the Gospel of Thomas in the early 2nd Century can be more or less disregarded as historical sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

smash wrote: »
    She was just his assistant. All magicians have assistants.

Like Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Like Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee.

More like Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan

Making all our money dissapear

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

300 years.

Add to that, there should be much more books in the bible but a good number of them were left out at the instance of Rome who with a Roman Emperor (who wished to unify his country), brought about the bible as we know it today, espousing what they thought was best for their agenda of the day, for their gain.

Left out, a sample:

The Life of Adam and Eve
    The Book of Enoch
    The Book of Jubilees
    The Infancy Gospel of Thomas
    Proto-Gospel of James
    The Gnostic Scriptures of Nag Hammadi
    The Gospel of Mary
    The Gospel of Nicodemus
    The Apocalypse of Peter
    Gnostic Apocalypse of Peter
    The Testament of Solomon
    The Zohar (The Book of Splendor)
    The Alphabet of Ben-Sira
    Joseph and Aseneth
    The Septuagint
    Bel and the Dragon
    The Acts of Peter
    The Acts of Paul and Thecla
    Mar Saba letter and The Secret Gospel of Mark
    The Gospel of Judas

Number of reasons why some was left out.
    See: http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/bible/outside.stm

Under the title "Outrageous"
    The Infancy Gospel of Thomas opens with a story about five-year-old Jesus making twelve sparrows out of mud. He claps his hands; they come to life and fly away. A nice story but in the next story, child Jesus curses a boy and makes him wither up. Later Jesus is angered when another child bumps into his shoulder and strikes him dead! This gospel, which may be as old as the second century, is a different book from the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Husband:
    "Oh yes, Suzi! Oh yeah! Just like that Suzi! Yeah!"

Wife:
    "... eh, honey, my name isn't Suzi."

Husband:
    "Oops! Sorry about that baby. I just get carried away sometimes."

Wife:
    "Who is this Suzi anyway? Is this Suzi the reason it takes you until 9pm to come home each night?"

*Wife gets up and sits at the side of the bed, anxious to hear a reply*

Wife:
    "Well?"

Husband:
    "C'mon baby, it was nearly 10 years ago. Remember I told you about her, I used to date that chick in high school."

Wife:
    "Keep her the hell out of your mind! I'm getting sick of this honey. I'm started to think you care more about this Suzi than me."

Husband:
    "Forget about it baby. Now please, c'mon back to bed."

Wife:
    "Okay but if I hear more about this Suzi, you'll be sleeping on the sofa for the next week, you hear me?"

Husband:
    "Okay, honey."

*Wife get back into bed and copulation continues*

Wife:
    "Oh yeah! Oh yeah! I'm gonna cum! Oh yeah Jesus I'm gonna cum! I'm gonna ... JESUS CHRIST! OH YEAH!!"

Husband:
    "Hold on a second! Who's this Jesus motherfucker?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In terms of the New Testament the Gospels were written 40 to 70 years after Jesus' death, by the time of the Gospel of John around 95AD the character of Jesus had already changed dramatically, any Gospel later than the Gospel of Thomas in the early 2nd Century can be more or less disregarded as historical sources.

They can all pretty easily be dismissed as historical sources considering they are contradictory to one another in hundreds of ways.

The fact that to my knowledge the oldest existing manuscript from the gospels has been dated to over 100 years after Jesus' is purported to have died and is at best a copy of earlier documents seems to have been lost on people in this thread as well. And that's only fragments, the oldest full copy is from 300 years later and could easily be utterly different from the original.

The resurrection of Jesus doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere till several generations on either, which is interesting.

keane2097 wrote: »

They can all pretty easily be dismissed as historical sources considering they are contradictory to one another in hundreds of ways.

The fact that to my knowledge the oldest existing manuscript from the gospels has been dated to over 100 years after Jesus' is purported to have died and is at best a copy of earlier documents seems to have been lost on people in this thread as well. And that's only fragments, the oldest full copy is from 300 years later and could easily be utterly different from the original.

The resurrection of Jesus doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere till several generations on either, which is interesting.

Historians don't throw out sources just because another may contradict them, there is plenty of reliable historical information present in the New Testament that gives us a relatively good idea of who Jesus was.

The earliest Gospel fragment is a small piece of a page from the Gospel of John and has been dated to about 10 to 20 years after the Gospel was written and seems to agree with the Gospel we now have, while changes definitely were made to the Gospels what we have now are very close to the original documents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dan Brown didn't invent Mary Magdalene, she's mentioned in at least 4 different Gospels!

Saul was either divorved or a widower.

Historians don't throw out sources just because another may contradict them, there is plenty of reliable historical information present in the New Testament that gives us a relatively good idea of who Jesus was.

They're self-contradictory (as well as contradicted by pretty much every other historical source).
    The earliest Gospel fragment is a small piece of a page from the Gospel of John and has been dated to about 10 to 20 years after the Gospel was written and seems to agree with the Gospel we now have, while changes definitely were made to the Gospels what we have now are very close to the original documents.

A small fragment of a single page of a single gospel dated to something like 60-80 years after the purported death is a fairly lolbad piece of evidence to postulate that the entire four books bear much or any resemblance to the original manuscripts. Even if they did, the fact that they are inaccurate and contradictory in their own terms fairly invalidates them as sources in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There were a fair few "Mary"s knocking around Israel 2,000 years ago according to the Bible.
    Mary Christ, Jesus' ma.
    Mary Magdalene, his mot.
    Mary, the sister of Martha and Lazarus.
    "The other Mary", wife of Clopas and mother of James the Less and Joses.
    Mary, the mother of John and Mark.

Must've been a pretty popular name back then.

Maybe they were irish? :confused:

Bambi wrote: »
    Maybe they were irish? :confused:

Yes, Jesus was Irish

He had 12 drinking buddies.

Lived at home into his 30's

And his mammy thought he was God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

To be honest it makes more sense. Whole idea was for Jesus to come to Earth, live as one of us, and experience the life that we live in full.
    Would have been massively incomplete without a relationship or two.

What I don't get is why this should matter so much? It was the church after Jesus which assigned so much weirdness to sexuality from a religious point of view.
    It raises an interesting question though. What if they had children? Would the children of God's child also be divine in some way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

There were a fair few "Mary"s knocking around Israel 2,000 years ago according to the Bible.
    Mary Christ, Jesus' ma.
    Mary Magdalene, his mot.

Maybe they're all the same person and she was just very... Open minded?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

davet82 wrote: »
    So Christians beliefs have been insulted with these 'crazy' accusations about Jesus...

Can we expect wide scale rioting?

I doubt it

Christians prefer to internalise their rage and sleep safe in the knowledge that heretics spend an eternity being tortured in the after life while they are living in paradise.

It's the ultimate fantasy of vindictiveness.

They're self-contradictory (as well as contradicted by pretty much every other historical source).

They are only self contradictory in certain parts, mostly only important from a theological point of view and they certainly aren't contradicted by almost every other historical source, I don't know where you got that from considering the lack of historical sources that refer to early Christianity. The only really relevant source to compare them to is Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews and what little he says about Jesus and the region at the time is pretty much in line with what is portrayed in the New Testament. He confirms the existence and execution of Jesus, the existence and execution of his brother James, the preaching of John the Baptist, the governership of Pontius Pilate, the revolt of Judas of Galilee are just a few examples of historical details that the New Testament mentions which stand up to non related accounts presented by a prominent non Christian historian of the time.

There is absolutely no justifiable reason to disregard the New Testament as a historical source simply because it mentions miracles or has points of internal inconsistencies. I haven't come across any genuine historian who would do such a thing.

He confirms the existence and execution of Jesus, the existence and execution of his brother James

lol, no.

Originally Posted by MistyCheese
    Mary Christ, Jesus' ma.
    Mary Magdalene, his mot.

You forgot one!
    Mary Christmas!

He confirms the existence and execution of Jesus, the existence and execution of his brother James

lol, no.

Insightful reply but would you like to clarify further why you believe the 2 references to Jesus in Antiquities by the best known Jewish historian of the era are not a valid pieces of evidence supporting the existence of Jesus?

Seaneh wrote: »

Saul was either divorved or a widower.

He never claimed to have ever been married and neither does the book of Acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

She's mentioned as the Companion of Jesus. Didn't companion literally mean spouse?

She's mentioned as the Companion of Jesus. Didn't companion literally mean spouse?

According to some historic research, that indeed was the common vernacular for 'wife' at the time.

Biggins wrote: »

According to some historic research, that indeed was the common vernacular for 'wife' at the time.

The word used does mean companion in Aramaic but the Gospel of Philip, where it is found, was a Coptic translation of Greek original and in Greek the word just means companion with no marital sense at all.

• Advertisement

The word used does mean companion in Aramaic but the Gospel of Philip, where it is found, was a Coptic translation of Greek original and in Greek the word just means companion with no marital sense at all.

Possibly true but thats relying on a translation (much later), not the actual use of the word in the very day I'm assuming.
    (Open to be wrong - and not biased either way)

Just for reference, this might be interesting to some: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markdroberts/series/was-jesus-married-a-careful-look-at-the-real-evidence/

Paul was a Pharisee and (more than likely) a Rabi, all Pharisee Rabi's had to be married, it was one of their rules.

1. Paul puts himself in the category of being “unmarried” in 1 Corinthians 7:8.
    2. The word “unmarried” translates the Greek word agamos.
    3. Paul uses the term agamos to refer to those who have been married but now are no longer married.
    4. The context of agamos in 1 Corinthians 7:8 is dominated by Paul’s instructions to those who are married or who have been married.
    5. The Greek word for “widower” was not in use during the Koine period.
    6. The word for “unmarried” appears to be the masculine word for someone who has lost a spouse.
    7. As a good Pharisee, it is highly unlikely that Paul would have been single his entire life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

davet82 wrote: »
    So Christians beliefs have been insulted with these 'crazy' accusations about Jesus...

Can we expect wide scale rioting?

I doubt it

The "christians" are too busy bombing innocent muslims to be out rioting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

To be honest it makes more sense. Whole idea was for Jesus to come to Earth, live as one of us, and experience the life that we live in full.
    Would have been massively incomplete without a relationship or two.

What I don't get is why this should matter so much? It was the church after Jesus which assigned so much weirdness to sexuality from a religious point of view.
    It raises an interesting question though. What if they had children? Would the children of God's child also be divine in some way?
    Never mind jesus,maybe Enda & his disciples should do this ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

delw wrote: »
    Never mind jesus,maybe Enda & his disciples should do this ;)

Now I see where the donkey fits into the picture..........

Always wondered why 'Jesus' is a popular first name in Hispanic countries and communities and not elsewhere.

You never hear of a Jesus Murphy or a Jesus O'Sullivan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You never hear of a Jesus Murphy or a Jesus O'Sullivan.

Wait until they mess up.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Good to see he was a normal bloke who liked a woman his own age unlike the Muslim fella who had a thing for child brides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Jesus was a homosexual in a loving relationship with the apostle John.

Jesus was a homosexual in a loving relationship with the apostle John.

Great to see such a well thought out and substantiated post Tipsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The "christians" are too busy bombing innocent muslims to be out rioting.

No I think thats the people who worship oil you are thinking of

• Advertisement
Advertisement