Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mrs. J. Christ

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

this all turned out to be a hoax anyways btw

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

Who really cares ?

jsn.peters wrote: »
    Who really cares ?

2 billion christians? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Show Time wrote: »
    Good to see he was a normal bloke who liked a woman his own age unlike the Muslim fella who had a thing for child brides.
    If he was married he probably was married to a woman much younger than he was. Women had children at a very young age back then. It's not just a Muslim thing for old men to marry young girls, at least back then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ScumLord wrote: »
    If he was married he probably was married to a woman much younger than he was. Women had children at a very young age back then. It's not just a Muslim thing for old men to marry young girls, at least back then.

You don't have much knowledge of Jewish marriage rituals, do you?

Seaneh wrote: »
    You don't have much knowledge of Jewish marriage rituals, do you?
    Not really, I just remember hearing that it was common for older men to marry young girls that would have been considered of age as young as 13.

Not really, I just remember hearing that it was common for older men to marry young girls that would have been considered of age as young as 13.

You need to understand the concept of betrothal.

A woman would be betrothed to a man as young as 13 or 14 but wouldn't actually live with him until they were a lot older, probably 16/17.

For exmaple, Mary was betrothed to Joseph when she was pregnant, but not married to him (she would have been 15 give or take a year).

Betrothal could last anywhere from 1 to even 5 or 6 years.

Girls would be betrothed as young as 13/14 though, so you are kind of right.

A woman would be betrothed to a man as young as 13 or 14 but wouldn't actually live with him until they were a lot older, probably 16/17.
    How old would the man have been?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

jsn.peters wrote: »
    Who really cares ?

Rome (The Vatican)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Biggins wrote: »
    Rome (The Vatican)!

They'll just ignore it/fob it off/pretend it didn't happen, like they did for centuries.

• Advertisement

How old would the man have been?

He could be anywhere from 16 to 60 really.

Joseph would probably have been about 30 and may have been previously married or widowed.

They'll just ignore it/fob it off/pretend it didn't happen, like they did for centuries.

Seeing as this new piece of parchment is both extremely isolated and pretty late it's pretty much ignorable anyway.

Seeing as this new piece of parchment is both extremely isolated and pretty late it's pretty much ignorable anyway.

and the fact its most likely a forgery, a hoax or at best misinterpreted

University of Hamburg papyrologist Alin Suciu declared, simply: 'I would say it's a forgery. The script doesn't look authentic.'

Wolf-Peter Funk, a Coptic linguist, said the fragment cannot be judged as it has no context and dismissed it as 'suspicious'.

Don't expect the Dan Brown fans to actually read anything beyond the random sensationalist articles from "news" sites that go along with their desired reality.

He could be anywhere from 16 to 60 really.

Joseph would probably have been about 30 and may have been previously married or widowed.
    So I was pretty much right the first time? :p

So I was pretty much right the first time? :p

no, not really.

They wouldn't have been having kids at 13.

They wouldn't usually have had kids before 16, but back then 16 was an adult everywhere, it's not like jew's were alone in it.

no, not really.

They wouldn't have been having kids at 13.

They wouldn't usually have had kids before 16, but back then 16 was an adult everywhere, it's not like jew's were alone in it.
    In my original post I said women would have married men much older than they where and pointed out Muslims were not unique in having older men marrying much younger women. I did think a woman would have been in a marriage by 13 in a lot of cases but I admit I'm wrong on that point even though I never brought that up originally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

davet82 wrote: »
    There is a €50,000 bounty on your head for that insinuation :p

Wiat till you see me cartoon. ;)
    krudler wrote: »
    next ye'll be telling me Jaysus didnt have blonde hair and blue eyes, and in fact more looked like someone most Americans wouldn't feel comfortable sitting next to on a plane.

Come on now it is not just Americans that think that way.

For a start, ever since having been cramped beside what was probably an ex 2nd row welsh rugyby player on a 14 hour flight, I don't like sittin beside Welsh people. :mad:
    smash wrote: »
    She was just his assistant. All magicians have assistants.

Why does the image of Paul Daniels come into my head.
    Or recently for that matter.
    If the tabloids had anything to do with it, it was all a sham. She marrys the son of god to help with her image of being a whore. And he gets seen walking out and about with a woman to combat the gay jibes from hanging around with 12 other men.

You make it sound like the church of scientology.

Careful now...we can't mention you know who...

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement