Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Simon Alarm trouble

Options
  • 19-09-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,
    I have a GE Simon Security system that was installed 5 years ago, but gave a lot of trouble after the Eircom Phonewatch 3 yr contract was up. We never renewed the contract but would like to get the alarm system fixed. Initially, it kept beeping saying that the battery was low, but the epw installer told us that the transformer was broken and needed to be replaced.

How difficult is it to source and replace the transformer and/or batteries?

We are based in the Limerick area.

Thanks,
    DC14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I don't see how the transformer could be faulty .. You'd be getting and ' AC Power Failure message ' if it was when you press status . Is it saying System low battery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dc14

The Epw guy said that the transformers normally last about 15 years, but as our 3 year contract was up, we would have to buy a new one for another €100 on top of the annual €300 to monitor the alarm. If it's supposed to last 15 years and it didn't, I think they should have included it in the re-sign contract, but they didn't.

It's been switched off because of the constant beeping, but I'll switch it back on and get the exact message and post it.

Thx

€100 quid for a transformer .. They must be pulling your leg . You could buy a whole new panel for close that price

I know where you'd get a transformer for the Simon 3 alarm if your going the DIY route

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

dc14 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have a GE Simon Security system that was installed 5 years ago, but gave a lot of trouble after the Eircom Phonewatch 3 yr contract was up. We never renewed the contract but would like to get the alarm system fixed. Initially, it kept beeping saying that the battery was low, but the epw installer told us that the transformer was broken and needed to be replaced.

How difficult is it to source and replace the transformer and/or batteries?

We are based in the Limerick area.

Thanks,
    DC14

I came across this twice. The first instance it turned out to be the transformer not giving enough power to the control panel to charge the battery although the system itself still worked. The second was with a faulty replacement battery. If he has put a new working battery in the system and it is still giving the low battery warning then he is correct.

• Advertisement

From memory, it just said that the battery was low and it would start beeping in the middle of the night, but, now things get a little more complicated.

I presumed that my dh switched the alarm off after the epw man went on his way. He had installed a new transformer and we had agreed a rate with their sales department, but when we were paying him, he said it would be an extra €100 for the transformer. There had been no mention of this extra charge until we went to pay for the new contract. However, when we said that this charge hadn't been agreed, he took both the new transformer and our existing one and left, so I definately need a new transformer now and may then also require new batteries!

How difficult is it to replace? Could I get someone to do this for me or would they only be interested if I was replacing the whole system? Any idea how much it might cost?

Thx!

From memory, it just said that the battery was low and it would start beeping in the middle of the night, but, now things get a little more complicated.

I presumed that my dh switched the alarm off after the epw man went on his way. He had installed a new transformer and we had agreed a rate with their sales department, but when we were paying him, he said it would be an extra €100 for the transformer. There had been no mention of this extra charge until we went to pay for the new contract. However, when we said that this charge hadn't been agreed, he took both the new transformer and our existing one and left, so I definately need a new transformer now and may then also require new batteries!

How difficult is it to replace? Could I get someone to do this for me or would they only be interested if I was replacing the whole system? Any idea how much it might cost?

Thx!

Get back on to them and get your transformer back. Only a couple of weeks ago I was asked to test a simon which they said had stopped working and replaced the control panel at the customers expence. They wanted to take the so called broken panel with them. After testing the panel there was no fault. Only for me testing the panel they would of being out of pocket. I would get the transformer back then take it from there..

It was at least a year ago that the guy came.....and I didn't realise that he had taken the transformer with him until today !! I've been meaning to get it fixed ever since, but never got around to it until now.

It was at least a year ago that the guy came.....and I didn't realise that he had taken the transformer with him until today !! I've been meaning to get it fixed ever since, but never got around to it until now.

That is a shame. Your best bet is to contact Eircom installers in your area and try get the transformer off them. Simple to fit yourself, same with the battery.

I've a Simon transformer here off a test panel

• Advertisement

I wouldn't hold out much hope for getting the transformer back out Eircom :mad:.
    If I can get this fixed, it still won't be monitored unless I re-sign with Eircom. I'm not their greatest fan at this stage, so what are the alternatives? Is there any point getting it fixed if no-one is monitoring it? Can I get it to send text messages if the alarm goes off? What does everyone else do when their epw contract lapses?

I'll pm you about the transformer Thunderbird2.

Thanks for all your help guys!!

I wouldn't hold out much hope for getting the transformer back out Eircom :mad:.
    If I can get this fixed, it still won't be monitored unless I re-sign with Eircom. I'm not their greatest fan at this stage, so what are the alternatives? Is there any point getting it fixed if no-one is monitoring it? Can I get it to send text messages if the alarm goes off? What does everyone else do when their epw contract lapses?

I'll pm you about the transformer Thunderbird2.

Thanks for all your help guys!!

The system can be set up to call one phone in the event of an alarm activation. It will tell you any zones that have being activated on the system. Better than having no monitoring at all.

Just want to say a huge thanks to Thunderbird2 and Altor who helped me get this issue sorted. Thunderbird pm'd me with instructions and despite being a novice at these things, I can't believe it, but it's all sorted now. Eircom wanted €400 to get my alarm working again (€300 for a contract and €100 for the transformer).

Thanks so much for all your help Thunderbird2 and Altor !!:D

Just want to say a huge thanks to Thunderbird2 and Altor who helped me get this issue sorted. Thunderbird pm'd me with instructions and despite being a novice at these things, I can't believe it, but it's all sorted now. Eircom wanted €400 to get my alarm working again (€300 for a contract and €100 for the transformer).

Thanks so much for all your help Thunderbird2 and Altor !!:D

Good to see you got it sorted dc14, thats what we are here for.

Glad we could help :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chafinn

HI

I also have a simon panel my code wont let me delete options 4,5,7 is their any way around this

chafinn wrote: »
    HI

I also have a simon panel my code wont let me delete options 4,5,7 is their any way around this

You are using your user code to try delete the options. You will need to enter the engineer code to delete them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chafinn

I tryed defaulting as the manual suggests but option 8 must been on as i seem to be, able to only gain access via access code 2, is their a way around this options 4 5 6 7 etc not available, and many other i have no paperwork and it is no longer monitored by epw

chafinn wrote: »
    I tryed defaulting as the manual suggests but option 8 must been on as i seem to be, able to only gain access via access code 2, is their a way around this options 4 5 6 7 etc not available, and many other i have no paperwork and it is no longer monitored by epw

Does 54321 or 4321 allow you into the menu to delete these options?

Advertisement