Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat in garden

• 19-09-2012 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

We have a cat spend a fair bit of time in our back garden, chasing insects, frogs and generally hanging about. I don't mind and it's probably a good deterrent for mice. However, I have noticed a lot of cat crap in the grass all of a sudden in and around the same spot which is a bit of a problem with children playing in the grass. Anyone know how to stop a cat crapping on the grass ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

If its spending most of its time around your garden, then thats where its going to do its business.
    They do like privacy when going to the toilet though, so you could plant a small bush in an area away frmo where the children play and that might encourage the cat to go under the bush instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

If its spending most of its time around your garden, then thats where its going to do its business.
    They do like privacy when going to the toilet though, so you could plant a small bush in an area away frmo where the children play and that might encourage the cat to go under the bush instead.

That's strange because the garden is quite heavily planted so it's picking an open area. I was wondering if it was territorial as there is another cat around occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

if that cat is constantly in your garden, then he is the one NOT crapping there - cats will go away from the area they hang out in to do their poo - it's probably the other cat "marking the territory" for when the regular cat visitor comes round. Cats will not crap where they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I could be wrong but I'm sure they mostly use urine for scent/territory marking.
    Maybe this particular cat doesn't mind doing it out in the open.

I suppose you could try putting a small litter tray out under a bush to try and coax him to use that.

We had a feral, very young, kitty that hung around our house. We had her neutered so she had to be kept in for a few days and she immediately started using the tray. Even though she had probably not seen one in a long time.

Advertisement