Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback, Autumn 2012

• 19-09-2012 1:26pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭

To alleviate the mid-week boredom around here (seeing as the jobs news wasn't exciting enough for some :pac: ) we reckoned it was time to throw open the floor to you, the posters, to let us know how you feel about the forum at the moment.

We've had a run of contentious topics here recently. Six In The City, the assault on an off-duty Garda, the talk of attempted abductions, Limerick being a safe place to stand out, things to do in the Limerick "region", the graffiti problem and businesses opening/closing being the most heated examples.

The 3 of us mods have been busy enough between holidays, work, sports, family commitments, etc, so it's been a challenge to keep things ticking over nicely over the past month or so. But, we're finally at a stage where the three of us are available to take feedback together and look over it to see what we can do to keep people happy.

One area we really want to look at is how to treat threads that deal with people's perceptions of Limerick City, be they positive or negative.

One condition to keep the thread balanced: a limit of 2 posts per poster per day.

Over to you...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I don't see any problem with having threads that discuss things that involve Limerick folk or things that have happened in Limerick. I also think that any news item (be it positive or negative) should be fair game in this forum with those involving ongoing legal proceedings being an obvious exception (although in the case of ongoing legal cases I think what has been released to the general public should be open to discussion but it would be difficult I guess to prevent that discussion straying into areas it should not.)

I really don't think there should be that much of an emphasis from mods on how threads dealing with Limerick need to be treated. Regardless of whether it is a news item, a positive thread or a negative thread, I think that it should all be open to discussion and debate as long as basic charter rules like not abusing others etc are not broken.

I would not see the topics mentioned as being contentious either. The debates that they spawned just highlighted the fact that they were topics that people had an interest in one way or the other. If a person finds a topic boring then they can simply not post in that thrwad and if enough people have no interest in the topic then the thread will die out.

I also think that there should be no poems in the forum unless they involve Batman and/or Judge Dredd.

I think the mods have found a nice balance in their modding despite the fact they are made up of a poet, a Clare person, and some random guy :p

In short I think the discussions just needs to be let flow regardless of topic (As long as they are within Board guidelines of course and also being in relation to Limerick), and the mods just have to make sure it is civil and legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

I'm not a very regular poster but I think the Limerick Forum gets it just about right. There'll always be contentious issues around Limerick and folks will naturally want to have their spake about them. Overall I think it's a friendly, informative, accessable and humorous forum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

This probably isn't particularly helpful feedback but I don't think there's anything wrong with the moderation in the Limerick forum. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Super job lads, 2 stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭adaminho

I have one suggestion. Sometimes threads come up that deal with parts of Clare such as the Cratloe forest park or Bunratty that could have more to do with Limerick than Clare. Can these be left in the Limerick forum?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think Cratloe, Bunratty and other areas in Clare belong in the Clare forum as opposed to the Limerick one. If the Limerick boundary line is moved in future perhaps we could revisit the idea of posting Clare issues in the Limerick forum then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I think the forum is run really well and it's a credit to both posters and moderators alike that discussions flow freely on even as IO points out- the most contentious of topics! I also think its great that the waffle thread managed to maintain its off-topic and light hearted ethos after it was temporarily locked a while back. Im glad it wasn't done away with! The places to eat and things to do in Limerick are great sources of information aswel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

I'd be more of a Lurker than a poster here but Ive always thought it was run smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

As one poster already said ''if it aint broke don't fix it'. I think it a great forum - informative knowledgeable funny and never really seems to get out of hand even on contentious issues . And the mods seem to have a lighter touch than other forums .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I'd agree with the other posters above. I dont post here much either but would look in every day and its one of the most chilled out forums on Boards and excellent for keeping up with local news and stories. Keep it up. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Another non frequent poster here, but I value the forum highly - simply for the fact that it's a lazy way of keeping up with what's going in the city, and thanks to the way that it is moderated threads don't get derailed.

To echo another poster - don't fix what isn't broken!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Aye, love the forum as it is (though it obviously could do with a bit more Dublin-related-ness and more beers :p)

The only issue I can think of was the in-jokes/conversations a while back but that was dealt with in a swift and batman-esque fashion by the mods and the kingdom er... I mean forum has been protected ever since!

I think it's one of the best modded forums out of the those I frequent tbh. Though maybe that's also down to the quality of the posters also :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement