Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating resting heart rate - Instant Heart Rate application for smartphones

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

murphd77 wrote: »
    Has no one cross tested with a real HRM yet? Interesting, but I am sceptical.

Yep, I did, got 49/50 on the app and 43/44 on the Garmin HRM

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Has no one cross tested with a real HRM yet? Interesting, but I am sceptical.

I just cross tested against my pulse and got:
    App;36
    Pulse;36

By the way, it is similar (in implementation) to the methods used to monitor heat rate in hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

digger2d2 wrote: »

Not very encouraging then. Krusty's test is more positive though.

Not very encouraging then. Krusty's test is more positive though.
    To be honest, having used Garmin HRMs constantly for the last 5 years (11,364 miles according to my profile), I would trust a talking seagull looking me squarely in the eye, to provide a more accurate HR reading that a Garmin. What would bother me more in terms of accuracy is (as a poster above stated) it provided a different reading across different devices. This would definitely point out a flaw in the system (though you could still use it from a relative difference perspective, rather than paying any attention to the actual value.

Interestingly, the app actually provides a visual indication of when it detects a 'beat', so if you check your pulse at the same time, you can see that they are in synch (may need three hands :)). I have an iphone as well as an Android, so I'll compare results (though it might worry my work-mates).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Very interesting app. Thanks.
    Don't know to much about HR's and only been running a little over 3 months or so.
    I tried about 5 readings over the last hour. Not completely resting but sitting on the sofa. I have had to get up between the readings but they are consistently between 49-54.
    I assume being well in the green zone that (if accurate) they'd be quite good readings for a previously very unfit 30 year old.
    My GF's readings are in the high 70's and my sister in the high 80's and early 90's

• Advertisement

Just took my HR on the iPhone and Android at the same time.
    First time:
    iPhone: 62
    Android: 61

Second time:
    Android: 58
    iPhone: 57

That's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I read earlier that Google are having an app sale over the next five days to celebrate 25 billion app downloads :eek: so worth keeping an eye on the market to see if you could snag the pro version for cheap.

Advertisement