Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever done the BSc (Hons) in Business Information Systems Part-time course?

Options
  • 19-09-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I received an ordinary degree in computer science a years ago at a different college and since then I have worked in different I.T jobs.

Last year I did the certificate in web development at NCI and found it to be a good college.

Because my degree is level 7, I'm not able to do any postgraduate courses at level 8 or 9.

Although I do already have a degree, the problem with technology jobs is that they constantly updates themselves with new existing technology.

Things like youtube, facebook, mobile apps, tablet PCs and wireless broadband never existed when I first started college.

So if I did a degree again in a year or two, it would mostly be revision, but also a chance to learn new existing technologies to keep up with employment demand.

Plus it would also give the option of doing a Masters degree at the college or elsewhere.

Would you recommend this course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I'm on the Computing degree course at night which is the exact same as the BIS for the first 2 years. Not sure if it splits off from Year 3 or Year 4.

Will you be getting exemptions from any of the first few years? It would be a nightmare having to do another 4 years.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the course a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

You would be problably able to get some exemption,
    i just graduated this Year from BIS part time, it is a nice cource, not only technical.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

BIS and Computing are identical for first 2 years and then split with some modules overlapping and then by 4th year there's little overlap. Computing would be more technical with more programming but in BIS you are still expected to develop a technical project in 4th year. I started in BIS and then moved to Computing in year 3 as I needed the more technical side of things and it's more interesting than business for me. So, it really depends on what you are looking for.

Advertisement