Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settling an Unsecured Loan when Unemployed

Options
  • 19-09-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi, not sure f this has been covered or not but here goes:

I lost my job 3 years ago (2009)and have been unable to secure employment since then. My problem is this:

I received an unsecured private loan from BOI in 2007. While employed I missed no payments. I lost my job due to illness and my payment protection (which the bank sold me) has up till now refused to cover me.

After becoming unemployed I struggled to meet my repayments and asked the bank to restructure my loan until I regained employment (which they did). I missed no repayments. But the government made repeated cut backs on my Social Welfare Benefit which then made it physically impossible to meet these repayments. I went to the bank - explained my situation and informed them that I would no longer be able to make regular repayments. I made irregular repayments instead.

All of a sudden the bank shuts all my accounts and am informed that my loan has been passed on to a debt collecting agency. Long story short, I am still disputing the debt as I am awaiting the result of an equality rights tribunal to determine if the payment protection insurance will cover me and I have refused to make any payments until this happens (why should I if payment protection should cover the entire loan).

A third debt collection agency is now involved as the previous two gave up. I contacted them today and offered them a one off settlement of €700 euro on the remaining €3500 loan. They point blank refused. What I am wondering is what is the minimum repayment a court can force me to make. I am told its €2 per month. Is this true?

If it is I wish to contact the bank directly with this argument:
    I am currently late 30s, unemployed and under the current economic climate unlikely to secure employment in the foreseeable future (I have been genuinely looking for the past 3 years and am not a dole sponger).
    €2 x 12 = €24 per year repayments
    at this rate it would take almost 30 years to get my offer of €700 lump sum settlement.

Take it that I would be in my 60s then (if I live that long) should it not be in the banks favour to accept my offer? Theoretically this is not debt forgiveness - its a settlement offer on a debt of €3500.

Maybe my minimum repayment that a court can impose is too low. Can somebody elaborate or offer further advice please

Thank You

Advertisement