Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completely New Bathroom

• 19-09-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello to all. I've seen a lot of threads on refitting bathrooms but haven't come across any on converting a bedroom into a bathroom. Looking for cost and logistical advice if anyone has the time and knowledge.

2 story house, 2 bathrooms downstairs, none up.

Can I drill a hole in a block wall and run sewage stack on the exterior down to the main lines directly below?

How difficult/costly would it be to run water lines from the tank, which is on the same floor but in another room and approximately 20 feet and two walls away?

Can electric showers be easily installed? Apologies for ignorance but I am an expat Yank and these things we do not have.

This isn't the entire story but I didn't want to be too long-winded. Any and all advice on cost and logistics would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jorgolyte

Oh yeah I forgot. Just a basic bathroom -- electric shower, square shower stall, no bathtub. Standard-range toilet and sink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its not difficult...

Weather or not you can do it yourself would depend on photos of the soil stack route

If your going to have a bath you would need to structurally reinforce the joists but for a basin and pedestal you wont.

The only problem will be running the hot tap. Floorboards will need to come up. Cold can be taken from the attic. but its iwish to take them in 3/4" till you divert to the shower and toilet and the hot tap.

T90 will only be a probelm if you have an attic conversion as the attic tank might be too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Villaines

Part of your difficulty will be in co-ordinating your plumber and tiler. Normally bath is installed before tiling, but toilet, sink is not. Shower can be, but makes tiling more difficult if you go for quad tray for space.

For your sanity you may want to get a plumber/tiler combo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Nan got it done a while back. Cost her around 2k. She got a bath though, used the feed to the radiator for the hot water. So she would need the boiler on for a couple of hours before having a bath.

This included the tiles, the tiler, the plumber, an electrician and the bathroom supplies.

lee3155 wrote: »
    Nan got it done a while back. Cost her around 2k. She got a bath though, used the feed to the radiator for the hot water. So she would need the boiler on for a couple of hours before having a bath.

This included the tiles, the tiler, the plumber, an electrician and the bathroom supplies.

I dont think so... and if so its plumbed incorrectly which to be honest i doubt it. But if this the case i would get a professional plumber in to fix it.

There is something wrong with the price for all these trades as well. Perhaps that will explain the plumber plumbing from the radiator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I dont think so... and if so its plumbed incorrectly which to be honest i doubt it. But if this the case i would get a professional plumber in to fix it.

There is something wrong with the price for all these trades as well. Perhaps that will explain the plumber plumbing from the radiator.

Yeah seemed odd to me too, but she never listens!

Don't think it's directly from the radiator but from the pipes leading to it.

Must double check anyhow next time I'm in there. Working fine for her at the mo so she won't listen to anyone till it turns out to be a disaster!

lee3155 wrote: »
    Yeah seemed odd to me too, but she never listens!

Don't think it's directly from the radiator but from the pipes leading to it.

Must double check anyhow next time I'm in there. Working fine for her at the mo so she won't listen to anyone till it turns out to be a disaster!

I did not think it was from the radiator and again you would still be wrong. It would not be working fine either which is why i am fairly confident your very much mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 toshsat

jorgolyte wrote: »
    Oh yeah I forgot. Just a basic bathroom -- electric shower, square shower stall, no bathtub. Standard-range toilet and sink.

I have done this particular job to many time to count,i have been recommended by some main Tile and Bathroom stores in Ireland,
    Email me for more advise,dflanagan06@hotmail.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jorgolyte

Thanks for all the replies folks, a lot of trepidation has been eased because of them. I can't believe how cheaply some have said it can be done for. Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Villaines

jorgolyte wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies folks, a lot of trepidation has been eased because of them. I can't believe how cheaply some have said it can be done for. Will keep you posted.

Price depends on spec. If you want branded, European made stuff, it'll cost you. If you go for Chinese made stuff it will certainly save you.

Same goes for tiles, ceramic can be cheap, natural stone is expensive.

Shop around!

• Advertisement
Advertisement