Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the fellas who sell the Hearld at the lights

• 19-09-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

do they actualy sell any copies, I heave never seen anyone let the window down and buy a copy. surely it cant be worth their while? or am I missing something

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I've seen many people buy copies.

Mystery solved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i always buy one, if its the city final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Not only fellas, sometimes it's fellesses. And yeah, they sell although it depends on the time of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Evening Herald at 11 in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

i always buy one, if its the city final

I know everything is relative but they can't make much surely? 50c max per paper. Youd prob need to sell 100 to make it worth your while at least. Are the heralds circulation figures that good?

• Advertisement

Islander13 wrote: »
    I know everything is relative but they can't make much surely? 50c max per paper. Youd prob need to sell 100 to make it worth your while at least. Are the heralds circulation figures that good?

ive no idea but i would imagine they sell a few hundred thousand copies. my late nana used to get it delivered every day. i only read it for the obituaries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I used to always buy a copy when I lived in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

rednik wrote: »

That'd be the early edition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That'd be the early edition

Handy!

rednik wrote: »

thats the racing herald

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I feel bad for the chaps sometimes, dealing with all that rejection. Especially when it's lashing. They should be allowed to bring a fold-away Crying Chair with them. I do usually give them 2euro and let them keep the change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Chechen mob. Organ trade middlemen.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Hark; the hearld fellas sing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

do they actualy sell any copies, I heave never seen anyone let the window down and buy a copy. surely it cant be worth their while? or am I missing something

Yes they sell copies :)
    But more importantly than that... its a nixer, op :) many are in reciept of social welfare.

Gotta love it too. Right in plain view of everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Why do they these guys and gals not sell the Irish Times on the mean streets? Curious.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Why do they these guys and gals not sell the Irish Times on the mean streets? Curious.

guy in killiney does in the mornings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Of course they don't, they just want something to do while they starve to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Most people that buy the times, get up early in the morning, the herald is ideal for those that don't. You can buy the latest edition at whatever time you surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I had a bit of rapport built up with one who used to operate at the bottom of Clonliffe Road, when he used to see me approach he would give a massive salute in the style of a camp soldier.

He also told me he got paid 40 euro per evening no matter how many papers he sold.
    He sometimes had free crisps with each paper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Newlands Cross is their Valhalla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I can't stand them, get out of the fcuking road while I'm driving. It's for cars, not tango monster looking paper sellers.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Of course they don't, they just want something to do while they starve to death.

good answer, well played old chum, got a great laugh that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i used to buy on my way home from work, now i use public transport and read the crap written on the seats, walls, et al.

i hate the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

funk-you wrote: »
    I can't stand them, get out of the fcuking road while I'm driving. It's for cars, not tango monster looking paper sellers.

-Funk

They're doing a job. I've never seen them obstructing traffic. You'd probably be giving out if they were on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

In the last year theres a whole lot of Brazilians selling the herald. Nearly half a million on the dole here and they came from the other side of the world and managed to get a job. Most get student visa which allows them to work part time but is then a foot in the green door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

good answer, well played old chum, got a great laugh that one

Spiffing, glad I could brighten up your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I had a bit of rapport built up with one who used to operate at the bottom of Clonliffe Road, when he used to see me approach he would give a massive salute in the style of a camp soldier.

He also told me he got paid 40 euro per evening no matter how many papers he sold.
    He sometimes had free crisps with each paper too.

I was only thinking just yesterday do they get a wage or commission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    They're doing a job. I've never seen them obstructing traffic. You'd probably be giving out if they were on the dole

Most are! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

There used for advertising mainly, the papers actually lose a small ammount of money off these guys, but it's worth it to get there brand out there on the street's in places were it will be seen by most people,ie main roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Anyone notice the distinct absence of swans whenever these guys are around!

Advertisement